Author Topic: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)  (Read 41601 times)

Re: Harry Giles Dropping Like a Stone on DraftExpress
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Let's not derail this thread.  Get off the personal stuff & get back on topic.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2017, 02:05:57 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
My post was very relevant because there's a scenario where the best player available to Philly would be Giles and they'd basically have to trade him, right?... perhaps to a team like Boston.
What are you thinking regarding the trade?

Smart for Giles?

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2017, 02:11:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
My post was very relevant because there's a scenario where the best player available to Philly would be Giles and they'd basically have to trade him, right?... perhaps to a team like Boston.

Smart for Giles?
A lot of things have to happen for that scenario to present itself, but it's been a thought on my mind for a while when Giles was thought of as a top 5 pick... that there's one team picking at the top that would probably want nothing to do with drafting Giles.

I had been thinking about more from the perspective of... hey even if the Brooklyn pick ends up 5th or something, there's a very real possibility Giles will be available to us, because Philly might end up with two top 4 picks and want nothing to do with drafting another big.   But this was all under the premise that Giles was a top 5 pick.  The perception seems to be changing.

And now that Giles is dropping at the same time Philly is winning games, there could very well be a scenario where Philly ends up with a draft pick outside of the top 8 (which is loaded with guards and small forwards)... and if there aren't any guards and small forwards left and the best player available is clearly Giles - wouldn't they have to take him and make a trade?   I guess they could trade up...

« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:31 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Smart for Giles?
A lot of things have to happen for that scenario to present itself, but it's been a thought on my mind for a while when Giles was thought of as a top 5 pick... that there's one team picking at the top that would probably want nothing to do with drafting Giles.

I had been thinking about more from the perspective of... hey even if the Brooklyn pick ends up 5th or something, there's a very real possibility Giles will be available to us, because Philly might end up with two top 4 picks and want nothing to do with drafting another big.   But this was all under the premise that Giles was a top 5 pick.  The perception seems to be changing.

And now that Giles is dropping at the same time Philly is winning games, there could very well be a scenario where Philly ends up with a draft pick outside of the top 8 (which is loaded with guards and small forwards)... and if there aren't any guards and small forwards left and the best player available is clearly Giles - wouldn't they have to take him and make a trade?   I guess they could trade up...
I would think the Sixers are in a great position to move up in the draft if they needed to.

As far as Giles dropping in the draft I wonder if giving up a player like Smart for Giles is worth taking. You have to figure if we land Ball or Fultz that Smart might get his minutes squeezed but is trading him for Giles who is looking like a possible bust candidate a gamble worth taking. Maybe some people who have watched his games could give some feedback.

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2017, 02:36:57 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
He's dropping like a [Diamond] Stone.

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2017, 02:41:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
nbadraft.net has him at 12 to the knicks.

nbadraft.net is notoriously slower to make changes, behind the curve. DE much more on top of trends.

« Reply #111 on: January 17, 2017, 03:12:53 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I can feel right now that we will be more likely to draft the 7'1 Justin Patton than the 6'10 Harry Giles with our BKN 2017 pick... Believe it or not...

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2017, 03:20:06 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I can feel right now that we will be more likely to draft the 7'1 Justin Patton than the 6'10 Harry Giles with our BKN 2017 pick... Believe it or not...
Is there a moch draft that has Patton in the top 15?

« Reply #113 on: January 17, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm curious where he stands after he gets several games in. May not be top of the charts, but I don't think he's Skal, either.

Mike

If the draft was held today, giles would be drafted at the tail end of the lotto to late teens

But imo he is still rusty and not fully recovered from his surgery.  I would give it until the last 5 games of the season

Where was Thon Maker drafted? He was projected as a deep 2nd rounder at one point.

I think Giles is a top 10 pick, regardless of what he does at Duke.

There are a bunch of guys that I like in this draft for the Celtics:

-Fultz
-Tatum
-Jackson
-Ball
-Isaac
-Ivan Rabb

I would take Giles 5th, if Ball was taken.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:20:42 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Honest question. I want to know where you saw Patton listed at 7'1. If he really is that big, he has a ton of potential. I just learned of him today, but all of the measurements I have seen have him at 6'11.
#JKJB

« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2017, 04:26:32 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'm curious where he stands after he gets several games in. May not be top of the charts, but I don't think he's Skal, either.

Mike

If the draft was held today, giles would be drafted at the tail end of the lotto to late teens

But imo he is still rusty and not fully recovered from his surgery.  I would give it until the last 5 games of the season

Where was Thon Maker drafted? He was projected as a deep 2nd rounder at one point.

-Fultz
-Tatum
-Jackson
-Ball
-Isaac
-Ivan Rabb

IMO Thon Maker is black mark on draft express. They insisted on downplaying him even though it was clear someone (rightly or wrongly) was going to take him fairly early. They changed their mock at the last minute. But it raises the question, is draft express really a mock, or list of guys they like? Because if it's a mock, they dropped the ball on Thon Maker (and I think it was their own bias getting in the way).

« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

Mike

-Fultz
-Tatum
-Jackson
-Ball
-Isaac
-Ivan Rabb

Its tough to pick a player who might bust in a draft like this.

« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2017, 04:30:32 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
The Ringer had a good article on Giles and how he's struggling with lateral movement defensively and vertical explosiveness is clearly diminished. Granted, he's still early in his return to the court, but these are issues that definitely causing concern.

https://theringer.com/the-ringers-2017-nba-draft-lottery-big-board-version-2-0-446c31b6a473#.x8v5nlu7f

"Obviously, any player who returns from injury will have rust. The difficulty is figuring out if his multiple knee surgeries have degraded his body (and therefore his projectable skill), or he’s simply working his way back into basketball shape.

But that doesn’t touch on the greater issue. Even if Giles returns to form, leads Duke all the way back to the title game, and in the final seconds throws down a game-winning, buzzer-beating, putback dunk that’s played on March Madness highlight reels forever, it doesn’t change the fact that his injury history is troubling enough to cause serious concern about his future. If you’re a team with a mid-lottery pick, would you really want to take a risk on Giles when a floor-spacing big man like Lauri Markkanen or a two-way point guard like Frank Ntilikina could be on the board? "

« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2017, 04:33:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Mike

-Fultz
-Tatum
-Jackson
-Ball
-Isaac
-Ivan Rabb

IMO Thon Maker is black mark on draft express. They insisted on downplaying him even though it was clear someone (rightly or wrongly) was going to take him fairly early. They changed their mock at the last minute. But it raises the question, is draft express really a mock, or list of guys they like? Because if it's a mock, they dropped the ball on Thon Maker (and I think it was their own bias getting in the way).

Maker may have been a reach by Bucks. Does he get any PT so far? Don't think so.  Is he hurt?

For every Greek Freak, there are 99 Thon Makers who measure great but just don't work out. Too soon to say about him, I understand, but the odds work that way.

« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Mike

-Fultz
-Tatum
-Jackson
-Ball
-Isaac
-Ivan Rabb

I think the fact that Thon is a 40 year old rookie hurt him.