Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 238814 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #2430 on: May 25, 2019, 11:57:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Here's a thought:

Jayson Tatum with Giannis' work ethic.
Tall Kobe?

That's selling him short, I think.

He'd best player in the world, hands down. Giannis came into the league from a basically unknown league without any hype and seeing the work he's put in... if you can't appreciate that, you're just not a fan of basketball.
Yeah, jeesh, he'd be some Kobe / Durant hybrid.

Sadly he doesn't Semi to have that ruthless work ethic. Giannis & Kawhi are both great stories of hard work
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2431 on: May 26, 2019, 12:01:46 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Here's a thought:

Tall Kobe?

He'd best player in the world, hands down. Giannis came into the league from a basically unknown league without any hype and seeing the work he's put in... if you can't appreciate that, you're just not a fan of basketball.
It's too early to say, but I'm not sure Tatum has that kind of fire or drive in him. The only push-back I've seen from his is complaining to officials. He got impromptu benched a few times this season, and he came out basically the same way as before.

I have my doubts too, which is why it bums me out. The talent base is there, but he seems especially taken with his own hype.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2432 on: May 26, 2019, 12:02:49 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
So does Paul Pierce lose his job for claiming the "Bucks got this" after winning Game 2?  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2433 on: May 26, 2019, 12:06:11 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
So does Paul Pierce lose his job for claiming the "Bucks got this" after winning Game 2?  ;D

No, but if he continues the bonehead comments when he is being paid for his expertise, he will be on the chopping block.

« Reply #2434 on: May 26, 2019, 12:09:15 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Here's a thought:

Tall Kobe?

It's too early to say, but I'm not sure Tatum has that kind of fire or drive in him. The only push-back I've seen from his is complaining to officials. He got impromptu benched a few times this season, and he came out basically the same way as before.

I have my doubts too, which is why it bums me out. The talent base is there, but he seems especially taken with his own hype.
Yeah, his rookie season was terrific. He held the ball less, he made quicker decisions, he attacked close outs, he avoided pull-up 2s, he took open threes. He was one of the worst mid-range shooters in the NBA this season. One of the worst pull-up shooters in the NBA. One of the worst isolation players in the NBA. All things he absolutely could avoid.

Not to pile on him, because I still think Tatum will be a star, but his ceiling is capped as long as he never maximizes his shot selection and decision making. Ironically, Brown is much better at taking smart shots than Tatum.

« Reply #2435 on: May 26, 2019, 12:12:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

sigh , when will this happen for the Celtics

« Reply #2436 on: May 26, 2019, 12:14:32 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Cs have 17 of those..

« Reply #2437 on: May 26, 2019, 12:15:07 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Cs have 17 of those..

Last one was in 2010. And were 9 points shy last year from it happening.

« Reply #2438 on: May 26, 2019, 12:15:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Cs have 17 of those..

You cant be satisfied with that

Its been a long time since the Celts made it to the finals

Thanks to that a÷# Lebron

« Reply #2439 on: May 26, 2019, 12:22:20 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Here's a thought:

Tall Kobe?

Yeah, his rookie season was terrific. He held the ball less, he made quicker decisions, he attacked close outs, he avoided pull-up 2s, he took open threes. He was one of the worst mid-range shooters in the NBA this season. One of the worst pull-up shooters in the NBA. One of the worst isolation players in the NBA. All things he absolutely could avoid.

Not to pile on him, because I still think Tatum will be a star, but his ceiling is capped as long as he never maximizes his shot selection and decision making. Ironically, Brown is much better at taking smart shots than Tatum.

Agree 100% here. And this is coming from someone who has been VERY skeptical and critical of Jaylen.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #2440 on: May 26, 2019, 12:32:08 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Here's a thought:

Tall Kobe?

Tatum had more points, rebounds, asts per game this year than last year. He had a better free throw percentage, FG 48% last and 49% this year 3 point shooting was down from 43% to 37% but other than that, I can't find this big statistical down turn from Tatum and he just turned 21.

« Reply #2441 on: May 26, 2019, 01:02:32 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
So how much of this falls on Bud?  Why can't he make adjustments in a series?

With the Hawks the answer to "Why do Bud's teams perform so much better in the regular season than in the playoffs" was either "He doesn't have the talent," or "He doesn't have an answer for LeBron."

What's the answer now?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2442 on: May 26, 2019, 01:09:17 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White

With the Hawks the answer to "Why do Bud's teams perform so much better in the regular season than in the playoffs" was either "He doesn't have the talent," or "He doesn't have an answer for LeBron."

What's the answer now?

He's just not a good coach. Toronto exploited the Bucks' half-court offense over and over.

Makes you think how did Brad Stevens get outcoached by Mike Budenholzer though.

« Reply #2443 on: May 26, 2019, 01:10:29 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599

What's the answer now?

He's just not a good coach. Toronto exploited the Bucks' half-court offense over and over.

I guess that made Brad Stevens worse. He couldn't adjust to the simple set of Bud's schemes. I also remember losing against him back in 2016.

« Reply #2444 on: May 26, 2019, 01:55:08 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Here's a thought:

Tall Kobe?

Tatum had more points, rebounds, asts per game this year than last year. He had a better free throw percentage, FG 48% last and 49% this year 3 point shooting was down from 43% to 37% but other than that, I can't find this big statistical down turn from Tatum and he just turned 21.

He didn't take a step forward. He didn't add anything to his game. His ball handling is still mediocre. His defense is still hit or miss. His court vision is still disappointing.

A lack of distinctive regression doesn't equal progression.
2021 Houston Rockets