Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 238731 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #2415 on: May 25, 2019, 11:35:22 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Giannis is easier to defend when he doesn't get every call like he did vs Boston.

That and the team actually tries when they aren't making shots.

Yep. Boston has every bit the talent and then some of Toronto. But Boston was a bunch of front runners that just quit when things got tough.

« Reply #2416 on: May 25, 2019, 11:36:58 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
two classy teams really nothing you can say against these teams. Someone has to win. Feel for Lopez and Giannis they fought hard.

Giannis is anything but classy. You heard him yapping his mouth after his win against the Celtics.

He's definitely classy, and he said nothing about the Celtics that wasn't true.  Sometimes the truth isn't fun to hear.

“From what I’ve seen lately, they put DeAndre Jordan on me, they put (Rudy) Gobert, they put Joel (Embiid), they put Jarrett Allen. They just keep doing that ****, but it doesn’t work.”
I think if we had a potential MVP saying these things we'd love them

It's okay to talk trash when you can back it up without getting spoonfed by the refs.
I hate the way he gets away with violations too, but it's not like the refs are making him a 27/12/5 machine with great defence.

Half of his points came from free throw attempts. 10 FTA per game is still huge. I'll give him the defense, but he still have lots of flaws in his game as Kawhi exposed him in this series.

Even the refs are letting him getting away with fouls and shoves. He can freely talk trash after he finally win anything.

« Reply #2417 on: May 25, 2019, 11:37:58 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm no Raptors fan, of course, but I was hoping they'd beat the Bucks, especially after Giannis' classless comment about Boston. And of course, I'd rather see the Raps win the title than the Warriors—I'm tired of the Warriors, and having an East team win it all would be a nice way to shut up all the talk about how great the West is. It likely won't happen, but that's what I'm pulling for.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2418 on: May 25, 2019, 11:38:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just goes to show you how close Philly came to making they Finals. Had embiid been healthy they probably would have did it.  That would have sucked.

« Reply #2419 on: May 25, 2019, 11:39:43 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don’t mind that we didn’t trade for kawhi, but I still do find it annoying how many fans said we didn’t need him “cuz we have Jaylen brown”
Hey, if Jaylen can improve at the almost unprecedented level that Kawhi did then we're fine!
He can do that once Brad wakes up and smells the coffee that Jaylen needs a longer leash on the court.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2420 on: May 25, 2019, 11:39:52 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Here's a thought:

Jayson Tatum with Giannis' work ethic.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2421 on: May 25, 2019, 11:41:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
two classy teams really nothing you can say against these teams. Someone has to win. Feel for Lopez and Giannis they fought hard.

Giannis is anything but classy. You heard him yapping his mouth after his win against the Celtics.

He's definitely classy, and he said nothing about the Celtics that wasn't true.  Sometimes the truth isn't fun to hear.

“From what I’ve seen lately, they put DeAndre Jordan on me, they put (Rudy) Gobert, they put Joel (Embiid), they put Jarrett Allen. They just keep doing that ****, but it doesn’t work.”
I think if we had a potential MVP saying these things we'd love them

It's okay to talk trash when you can back it up without getting spoonfed by the refs.
I hate the way he gets away with violations too, but it's not like the refs are making him a 27/12/5 machine with great defence.

Half of his points came from free throw attempts. 10 FTA per game is still huge. I'll give him the defense, but he still have lots of flaws in his game as Kawhi exposed him in this series.
7FTM vs 27.7PPG

Closer to a 1/4 than 1/2. Are PP's scoring numbers to be somewhat dismissed because he shot lots of free throws?

Definitely agree about the flaws in his game though. He needs to either get reliable from the free throw line / three or vary his rather predictable offence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2422 on: May 25, 2019, 11:41:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Here's a thought:

Tall Kobe?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2423 on: May 25, 2019, 11:42:24 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I don’t mind that we didn’t trade for kawhi, but I still do find it annoying how many fans said we didn’t need him “cuz we have Jaylen brown”

I agree. At that time, the legit concern was that Kawhi would bolt and his injuries, but some people didn't want tge trade because they said Kawhi is overrated, or Brown is just as good or better. And I said I like Brown a lot, even over Tatum, but I would trade him in a heartbeat and if we replace Brown with Kawhi, we wouldve beaten Lebron.

Too bad there's no real way we couldve gotten him based on what the Spurs got.

« Reply #2424 on: May 25, 2019, 11:42:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
For Phily to compete Embiid needs to commit to getting in better shape.

As for Tatum, wherever he ends up he needs to work on his body. He needs to look at a picture of Giannis when he first came in the league and a picture of Giannis this season.

« Reply #2425 on: May 25, 2019, 11:43:07 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Still maintain the East will be wide open next year. I do not think Leonard stays in Toronto. Really feel like this is for them.

Bucks are very beatable. Philly most likely going to lose Butler and overpay for Harris. Boston can keep Kyrie and get Davis...they are going to be right there.

« Reply #2426 on: May 25, 2019, 11:43:55 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Just goes to show you how close Philly came to making they Finals. Had embiid been healthy they probably would have did it.  That would have sucked.

Eh I disagree. It doesn't work that way. Had Embiid been healthy the Bucks wouldve been in the finals days ago.

« Reply #2427 on: May 25, 2019, 11:46:24 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Here's a thought:

Tall Kobe?

That's selling him short, I think.

He'd best player in the world, hands down. Giannis came into the league from a basically unknown league without any hype and seeing the work he's put in... if you can't appreciate that, you're just not a fan of basketball.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2428 on: May 25, 2019, 11:53:55 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Here's a thought:

Tall Kobe?

That's selling him short, I think.

He'd best player in the world, hands down. Giannis came into the league from a basically unknown league without any hype and seeing the work he's put in... if you can't appreciate that, you're just not a fan of basketball.
It's too early to say, but I'm not sure Tatum has that kind of fire or drive in him. The only push-back I've seen from his is complaining to officials. He got impromptu benched a few times this season, and he came out basically the same way as before.

« Reply #2429 on: May 25, 2019, 11:54:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Eh I disagree. It doesn't work that way. Had Embiid been healthy the Bucks wouldve been in the finals days ago.
kinda like how last year the Raptors would have smoked us had we matched up with them in the playoffs.

But nonetheless we are fortunate the sixers weren’t healthy otherwise they’d be in the finals right now.  They were by far the most talented team in the East.