Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 239006 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #2460 on: May 26, 2019, 12:12:56 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Anyone saw last night's press with the Bucks? Giannis just abruptly walked out after a question was asked regarding Bucks' experience. Lol that's why you not playing in the championship Giannis!!!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2461 on: May 26, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Definition of a true leader..

Other players who think they are leaders like Lebron can learn from Leonard

"I don't really judge my game like that," Leonard said when asked about Ujiri's comments. "I'm more of a team-aspect, see-what-my-team-is-doing [guy]. I just want to win. I don't care about being the best player. I want to be the best team. I've always said that.

Will he still be a "true leader" if he leaves Toronto in a month?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2462 on: May 26, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Here's a thought:

Jayson Tatum with Giannis' work ethic.
Tall Kobe?

That's selling him short, I think.

He'd best player in the world, hands down. Giannis came into the league from a basically unknown league without any hype and seeing the work he's put in... if you can't appreciate that, you're just not a fan of basketball.
It's too early to say, but I'm not sure Tatum has that kind of fire or drive in him. The only push-back I've seen from his is complaining to officials. He got impromptu benched a few times this season, and he came out basically the same way as before.

I have my doubts too, which is why it bums me out. The talent base is there, but he seems especially taken with his own hype.
Yeah, his rookie season was terrific. He held the ball less, he made quicker decisions, he attacked close outs, he avoided pull-up 2s, he took open threes. He was one of the worst mid-range shooters in the NBA this season. One of the worst pull-up shooters in the NBA. One of the worst isolation players in the NBA. All things he absolutely could avoid.

Not to pile on him, because I still think Tatum will be a star, but his ceiling is capped as long as he never maximizes his shot selection and decision making. Ironically, Brown is much better at taking smart shots than Tatum.

Tatum had more points, rebounds, asts per game this year than last year. He had a better free throw percentage, FG 48% last and 49% this year 3 point shooting was down from 43% to 37% but other than that, I can't find this big statistical down turn from Tatum and he just turned 21.

He didn't take a step forward. He didn't add anything to his game. His ball handling is still mediocre. His defense is still hit or miss. His court vision is still disappointing.

A lack of distinctive regression doesn't equal progression.

Progress is progress, even if it is by small increments. If he adds by the same amount next year he'll be 22 years old and 1.2 steals, 7 rbs, .7 blks, 3 assists 88% free-throw and 18 points a game.

That's not progress, that's plateauing. If Tatum comes in basically the same player next season, then you guys might have to kill the future superstar talk. That kind of stagnation should be a concern.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #2463 on: May 26, 2019, 12:44:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The biggest bummer of us not trying to trade for Kawhi is that his total lack of personality is perfect for Boston fans.  Celtic fans want their star players to shut up and dribble and that's exactly what Kawhi does.
That's why we loved guys like KG, Ortiz, and Gronk.  Got it.  Great point.

lol did or does anyone talk more than Bill Walton? ****!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:50:56 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #2464 on: May 26, 2019, 12:50:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
The biggest bummer of us not trying to trade for Kawhi is that his total lack of personality is perfect for Boston fans.  Celtic fans want their star players to shut up and dribble and that's exactly what Kawhi does.
I'm just sayin... fans hate Kyrie, because he is transparent and answers questions.  In 2019, Kawhi is the right kind of famous for Celtic fans... a basketball player who doesn't talk, shows little emotion, and doesn't make movies.

You Kyrie apologists twist yourselves into a pretzel trying to defend this guy. For whatever reason the guy invites drama through his own words and actions. You want to absolve him of responsibility because he is a great basketball player go ahead, but don't deflect blame to fans that are simply calling what they see and refusing to give him a pass because of his basketball skills.  He is lucky he played with the best player in the world for a championship otherwise he would be another great basketball player without a ring. That ring was LBJ's ring not Kyrie's. Listen to the Kyrie apologists and they think he was singularly responsible for that ring.

« Reply #2465 on: May 26, 2019, 01:51:50 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'm just sayin... fans hate Kyrie, because he is transparent and answers questions.  In 2019, Kawhi is the right kind of famous for Celtic fans... a basketball player who doesn't talk, shows little emotion, and doesn't make movies.

You Kyrie apologists twist yourselves into a pretzel trying to defend this guy. For whatever reason the guy invites drama through his own words and actions. You want to absolve him of responsibility because he is a great basketball player go ahead, but don't deflect blame to fans that are simply calling what they see and refusing to give him a pass because of his basketball skills.  He is lucky he played with the best player in the world for a championship otherwise he would be another great basketball player without a ring. That ring was LBJ's ring not Kyrie's. Listen to the Kyrie apologists and they think he was singularly responsible for that ring.

And this is where posters like you just look bitter. Kyrie didn't help get that ring? So which is it, are you being willfully ignorant or did you just not watch that series?
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #2466 on: May 26, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

And this is where posters like you just look bitter. Kyrie didn't help get that ring? So which is it, are you being willfully ignorant or did you just not watch that series?

You have never answered my question whether you have ever criticized Kyrie or found any fault with him or any of his actions. I acknowledge Kyrie's brilliance at basketball. I cheer when he is on his game. He is one of my favorite players on the team. I also criticize him when I think he is wrong. I do not get those who think he is perfect.

My last post that you responded to acknowledges his greatness as a bb player, but also points out that he is probably milking the ring more than necessary. He contributed to the ring as one of what Shaq has coined as 'others'. I getting rings alone makes you great Robert Horry stands behind only Bill Russell as the GOAT. Kyrie contributed, but everyone knows that was LBJ's ring.

« Reply #2467 on: May 26, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16

You have never answered my question whether you have ever criticized Kyrie or found any fault with him or any of his actions. I acknowledge Kyrie's brilliance at basketball. I cheer when he is on his game. He is one of my favorite players on the team. I also criticize him when I think he is wrong. I do not get those who think he is perfect.

My last post that you responded to acknowledges his greatness as a bb player, but also points out that he is probably milking the ring more than necessary. He contributed to the ring as one of what Shaq has coined as 'others'. I getting rings alone makes you great Robert Horry stands behind only Bill Russell as the GOAT. Kyrie contributed, but everyone knows that was LBJ's ring.

Okay, this is beyond absurd. In the 2016 Finals Kyrie averaged 27.1 points, 3.9 assists, 3.9 rebounds and 2.1 steals and shot 46.8% from the field and 40.5% on three-pointers. He scored at least 30 points in three games, including 41 on 17-of-24 shooting in Game 5. He also clearly outplayed 2016 MVP Steph Curry.

He was not an "other," and his play was certainly not akin to anything Robert Horry ever did.

« Reply #2468 on: May 26, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Okay, this is beyond absurd. In the 2016 Finals Kyrie averaged 27.1 points, 3.9 assists, 3.9 rebounds and 2.1 steals and shot 46.8% from the field and 40.5% on three-pointers. He scored at least 30 points in three games, including 41 on 17-of-24 shooting in Game 5. He also clearly outplayed 2016 MVP Steph Curry.

He was not an "other," and his play was certainly not akin to anything Robert Horry ever did.

Okay you win, that was his ring. It works for me because I have used to argument against LBJ pumpers. No wonder Kyrie bailed from CAVS. Lets hope he can do the same for the Cs. ::)

« Reply #2469 on: May 26, 2019, 02:22:19 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16

Okay you win, that was his ring. It works for me because I have used to argument against LBJ pumpers. No wonder Kyrie bailed from CAVS. Lets hope he can do the same for the Cs. ::)

Respect.

« Reply #2470 on: May 30, 2019, 08:12:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
So who do we want to win this series, and what outcome benefits the Celtics the most? Things to consider:

A Raptors championship likely keeps Kawhi in Toronto and them as a rival in the East, while a series loss could lead to Kawhi leaving and the Raptors rebuilding.

A Warriors championship with Durant missing most of the series could make it that much more likely that he leaves, which has potential implications on Kyrie and potential (unlikely) Boston sign and trade.

Not sure who to root for here, though my heart says Toronto just because they’re more likable than this Warriors team and I don’t want to see that coward Durant with a threepeat.

« Reply #2471 on: May 30, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
So who do we want to win this series, and what outcome benefits the Celtics the most? Things to consider:

A Raptors championship likely keeps Kawhi in Toronto and them as a rival in the East, while a series loss could lead to Kawhi leaving and the Raptors rebuilding.

A Warriors championship with Durant missing most of the series could make it that much more likely that he leaves, which has potential implications on Kyrie and potential (unlikely) Boston sign and trade.

Not sure who to root for here, though my heart says Toronto just because they’re more likable than this Warriors team and I don’t want to see that coward Durant with a threepeat.

I'm rooting Raptors.

For one, I've got some good friends who are Raptors fans and they've been waiting a long time for this moment in Toronto so I'll side with them lol. But also, I don't really think the results of this series will matter. I think one way or another, KD is gone. And with Kawhi, I've said for a long time I think he's either staying OR going to the Clippers. But win or lose the Finals, I don't think it'll have a huge effect on Kawhi's decision. I mean, he's already won a championship in his career.

And also, I'm kind of sick of the Warriors. That and the thought of KD + Cousins essentially being "gifted" rings (as you mention) makes me root for TOR.

I think home court will help them here, but Lowry will have to have a good series too just like he did in the ECF. I think Toronto wins this series in 6. If KD is out for the first 3 games, I think GSW will be in trouble. I saw them getting by POR even without KD, but Kawhi is a different beast and I'm not sure GSW has much of an answer for him, and if TOR puts Kawhi on Curry that could have an impact on GSW's overall offense. Basically forces others to beat them and that'll be tough without Durant for a few games in this particular series.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2472 on: May 30, 2019, 08:22:11 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601

"I don't really judge my game like that," Leonard said when asked about Ujiri's comments. "I'm more of a team-aspect, see-what-my-team-is-doing [guy]. I just want to win. I don't care about being the best player. I want to be the best team. I've always said that.

If he won and leaves, nobody could ask for more. He have done what he needed to do. Hell, he even done so much for the franchise already without being a primmadonna like other superstars did. Both his teammates and the fanbase loves him. I can't say the same with other players.

Just making it in the finals is already a win for the Raptors. Its a much better achievement for the team than being stuck as 2nd round fodders with Derozan-Lowry.

« Reply #2473 on: May 30, 2019, 08:24:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I d rather see Raptors win this .

My money is on the Warriors to sweep ....i think there are juiced and Kawhi is about all that stands betwwen them and a chip.

« Reply #2474 on: May 30, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

If he won and leaves, nobody could ask for more. He have done what he needed to do. Hell, he even done so much for the franchise already without being a primmadonna like other superstars did. Both his teammates and the fanbase loves him. I can't say the same with other players.

Just making it in the finals is already a win for the Raptors. Its a much better achievement for the team than being stuck as 2nd round fodders with Derozan-Lowry.

It feels a bit disingenuous to say the guy who forced his way of San Antonio after quitting on them last season isn't a primadonna.

But no one remembers that stuff I guess.
2021 Houston Rockets