Author Topic: ***March Madness***  (Read 80834 times)

Re: ***March Madness***
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2015, 12:36:29 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Maybe Stein will fall to us now!  ;)

Ugh.  Why do you want him?  I get the defense, sure, but what else is there?

« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2015, 12:38:52 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

Tonight's C's game showed exactly why we need him lol He's big, athletic, mobile, and a shot-blocker, which is exactly what we need. We had 0 interior defense tonight, and it allowed Derozan to go off on us at the end. He'd fit in perfectly with us.

« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2015, 12:44:45 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Is this game justification of the age-old adage that great offense will always beat great defense in basketball?

Bill Russell and Wilt disagree.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2015, 01:07:29 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Tonight's C's game showed exactly why we need him lol He's big, athletic, mobile, and a shot-blocker, which is exactly what we need. We had 0 interior defense tonight, and it allowed Derozan to go off on us at the end. He'd fit in perfectly with us.

What else does he do, though, apart from his defense that really has more to do with his athletic gifts than intelligence?  I'm not saying he's dumb, but honestly, what else does he do?  Is he a good passer or post player, because unless I missed something, he's still incredibly deficient in both areas.  Why not just take Dakari Johnson instead?  At least he can score with both hands on the block.  Besides, we could have solved these problems by getting Whiteside for close to nothing.  Ugh.

« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2015, 01:37:40 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Dekker is the next Klay Thompson

He reminds me of a more mobile/less physical Van Horn.

Van Horn wasn't nearly the ball handler or passer that Dekker is though, never mind Sam's post play.

All I would say is if we're going to get a Keith Van Horn player with what it looks like a guy who doesn't shy away from big moments, and he will be at around the 12-15 spot? Hey, count me in.

If you're telling me he can be a guy who can put a solid 15-17 points per game in the NBA, I see that as a good draft selection from where we are positioned.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #245 on: April 05, 2015, 02:34:34 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Dekker is the next Klay Thompson

He reminds me of a more mobile/less physical Van Horn.

Van Horn wasn't nearly the ball handler or passer that Dekker is though, never mind Sam's post play.

All I would say is if we're going to get a Keith Van Horn player with what it looks like a guy who doesn't shy away from big moments, and he will be at around the 12-15 spot? Hey, count me in.

If you're telling me he can be a guy who can put a solid 15-17 points per game in the NBA, I see that as a good draft selection from where we are positioned.

I think people forget just how good Van Horn was.

« Reply #246 on: April 05, 2015, 02:52:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Duke will smash Wisconsin. Winslow and Okafor will thrash them inside.

Sorry Badgers.

Dekker will be a solid player in the league..

maybe. Don't think so. It will be a tight game.

« Reply #247 on: April 05, 2015, 05:40:41 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

What else does he do, though, apart from his defense that really has more to do with his athletic gifts than intelligence?  I'm not saying he's dumb, but honestly, what else does he do?  Is he a good passer or post player, because unless I missed something, he's still incredibly deficient in both areas.  Why not just take Dakari Johnson instead?  At least he can score with both hands on the block.  Besides, we could have solved these problems by getting Whiteside for close to nothing.  Ugh.

TP. I'd rather have Dakari develop in Celtic green. He is raw, but still very young and has some post moves and feel for the game. WCS is an athletic beast, but that's it.

Dakari with the 76ers pick would be a steal, even reaching with the Clippers pick would be a better option than trading up to get WCS.

« Reply #248 on: April 05, 2015, 07:32:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

I would be uncomfortable with drafting WCS using a top 5 or maybe even top 7-8 draft pick. Like you said, just too one dimensional.

But if the Celtics are picking late lottery to mid first round (10-15), I am fine with drafting a defense-only seven footer in that range. 

« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2015, 03:12:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I have Wisconsin winning by 6 tonight.

Should be a good game.

« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2015, 03:14:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I would be uncomfortable with drafting WCS using a top 5 or maybe even top 7-8 draft pick. Like you said, just too one dimensional.

But if the Celtics are picking late lottery to mid first round (10-15), I am fine with drafting a defense-only seven footer in that range.

After watching him the last few games I'm onboard the WCS train at that kind of pick range, though I might prefer one of the stud 3s instead if they haven't been snapped up. 

But WCS shows strong defensive instincts and handles switches out to the perimeter very, very well.  Could be something like a poor- to middle-class man's DeAndre Jordan.  A player like that is something we're sorely missing right now.

« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Have you guys seen this article.

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/4/3/8338409/willie-cauley-stein-defense-nba-draft-2015

No big man has ever recorded a quicker time in the lane agility drill, which assesses body control and change of direction ability. And with a 147-inch maximum vertical reach, few bigs even come close to Cauley-Stein's length.

He is the most athletic big man since they had the combine.  I hope he falls because to me, he would be worth the risk.   Skills you can learn and develop.   Athletic ability like this you can't.  Young Dwight Howard is the only guy to ever get that high folks.   That is 27" above the rim.

« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Okafor lack of stamina?

Winslow reminds me of Ron Artest

« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2015, 09:45:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Frank looking like KO tonight. Shoot the ball. Not the game to be passive

Slow start for Dekker

« Reply #254 on: April 06, 2015, 09:47:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Winslow is extremely impressive tonight.

Kaminsky is really impressing me, too. He's very similar to KO, except MUCH quicker and more fluid with his offense. I notice like Olynyk he tends to throw tons of shot fakes and ball fakes.