Author Topic: 2020 NFL Draft thread  (Read 18389 times)

Re: 2020 NFL Draft thread
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2020, 11:10:27 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Would be nice to draft a kicker too

The Patriots' first three Super Bowl titles all were won by three points earned on fourth-quarter field goals by Adam Vinatieri.

Stephen Gostkowski was drafted by the Patriots in 2006 to replace Vinatieri and became the team's all-time leading scorer. He also won three Super Bowl championships with the Patriots, and his kick late in the fourth quarter of Super Bowl LIII sealed the win.

Gostkowski was released by the Patriots last month, so New England is among the teams that could consider selecting a kicker in the 2020 NFL Draft.

1.Blankenship from Georgia
 2. Bass from Georgia southern
3. Mann from Texas a&m
4.  Charlton from South Carolina is 6 ‘5” tall lol

Blankenship has performed well in high pressure situations. He made a 51-yard field goal against Alabama in overtime of the CFP national title game in 2017 that nearly won Georgia a championship
Blankenship hit 80 of his 97 field goal attempts (82.4 percent) for the Bulldogs. He connected on six of his nine attempts from 50 yards or longer, and he never missed a field goal from 29 yards or closer. Blankenship was perfect on extra points in his career, too. As a senior, he won the Lou Groza Award as the nation's top kicker and earned an All-SEC first team selection. Blankenship's accuracy and experience kicking in big games are two huge factors in grading him the best kicker of the 2020 draft class.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:17:37 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2020, 12:04:06 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Wonder if bill goes for the tight end from Notre Dame

The DT blacklock is also still available

Patriots pass up on Lamar jackson and Jordan love back to back years

Fire belichick
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:42:11 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2020, 12:54:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Wonder if bill goes for the tight end from Notre Dame

The DT blacklock is also still available

Patriots pass up on Lamar jackson and Jordan love back to back years

Fire belichick
Lol. Fire Bill for not taking a QB who will likely not have a career into his 30’s (that everyone else passed on too)? Love is also not really ... anything. His last season was super unimpressive - clearly wasn’t on Bill’s list
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2020, 01:01:39 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Love was such an awful pick for the Packers. The Packers are in win-now mode. They should be going for it while Aaron Rodgers is still a great player.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2020, 02:13:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Love was such an awful pick for the Packers. The Packers are in win-now mode. They should be going for it while Aaron Rodgers is still a great player.
Thought for sure they would’ve taken one of the two LB’s taken after their pick. Really mystifying pick...

« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2020, 02:58:32 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Green Bay's got their own "Tom Brady/Jimmy Garappolo" drama with Aaron Rodgers/Jordan Love now lol

A team that went 13-3 last season and basically needed some weapons, but it's time to move on with a new QB. Though I do kinda get that they've always been outed in the playoffs every time they made it in after winning in 2010. Perhaps it might be time for a change.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2020, 03:59:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Green Bay's got their own "Tom Brady/Jimmy Garappolo" drama with Aaron Rodgers/Jordan Love now lol

A team that went 13-3 last season and basically needed some weapons, but it's time to move on with a new QB. Though I do kinda get that they've always been outed in the playoffs every time they made it in after winning in 2010. Perhaps it might be time for a change.
Really puzzling move by Green Bay. Perennial All-Pro QB who takes awesome care of the ball who probably needed another weapon, and they draft a project QB who threw 20/17.

They also just lost their starting ILB, and two stud linebackers were available. Mystifying, unless they think Rodgers is coming to an end and they don’t think they can win with their current group. Seems like a waste.

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Always hard to judge this sort of thing.  They have a good, cost controlled back up QB.  That caliber of QB is not going to be available later (assuming that they must have really liked him) but there are plenty of line backers and safeties available later.  Certainly a surprise pick and it may turn out to be awful but I would not go that far at this point.

If Love turns out to be as good as say Garoppolo and  Rodgers get hurt, then they will look brilliant.  Now if he sits on the bench for 4 years and they trade him then for a second round pick, that is not so good but still probably not awful.

« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2020, 10:57:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Aaron Rodgers is the same age now as Brett Favre was when the Packers selected Rodgers.  Love is a project he needs a couple of seasons, but many think he has elite potential, with some thinking he might have gone in the top 10.  So you get your 2 more seasons from Rodgers and then you move on to a player who hopefully develops into a top 5 type pick that you never would have gotten because you are too good to draft in the top 5. 

Still when you are 13-3 it seems like you should go for it rather than plan for the future.  (though the 2004 Packers were 10-6 and lost a close playoff game to the Vikings). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2020, 12:20:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
So glad WAS took Chase.

Dude's going to help this team Big Time.

This move also shuts down the rumors with Haskins and means we are committed to this young talented QB.

Behold The Burgundy and Gold is looking better and better.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 12:36:35 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So glad WAS took Chase.

Dude's going to help this team Big Time.

This moves also shuts down the rumors with Haskins and means we are committed to this young talented QB.

Behold The Burgundy and Gold is looking better and better.

Young was the obvious pick there.  He looks like a potential stud.

Which is another reason I'm glad the Giants went for the surefire LT.  Him and Thomas are possibly going to be matched up a lot over the years.  That could be fun.

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2020, 12:40:57 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Really hope Pats get Hurts.
I think he is the perfect QB for our system, Smart, respectful, good athlete, overall great character guy. He's my ideal Brady replacement.

Double down on my wish from yesterday. GO GET HURTS BILL!

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2020, 12:47:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I do get the feeling that with one of these abundance of mid-round picks, the Pats will take a QB

Which QB they take, we'll see. I'd be down getting Hurts or Eason. But please not Fromm.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2020, 12:52:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Pats have 5 picks today, starting at #37 and up to #100.  One second round and 4 third round.  I wonder if they take Hurts in the second round.  Should be interesting.  I think you can still get a number of good players with these picks to add depth.

The Patriots style is to value depth and consistency over the top end players.  Having one really top LB for example doesn't help if your 3rd and 4th LBs are weaknesses.  Better to reinforce the weakest links than try to bring in one big star.  That is what these second and third round picks can do.  Improve the bottom end of your secondary.  Add some depth at LB or OL. All roles that will see the field right away.  But probably not find a QB who can start for you.

So my prediction is that we see OL depth selected, then they trade Thuney to free up cap space to bring in a veteran QB.  I think there is a chance they trade Hightower also, maybe to make cap space for a tight end trade or FA pick up.  Hightower is a great player but due to break down again.  So after a couple of OL, maybe a line backer, a kicker, and a tight end.

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2020, 01:09:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
The Pats have 5 picks today, starting at #37 and up to #100.  One second round and 4 third round.  I wonder if they take Hurts in the second round.  Should be interesting.  I think you can still get a number of good players with these picks to add depth.

The Patriots style is to value depth and consistency over the top end players.  Having one really top LB for example doesn't help if your 3rd and 4th LBs are weaknesses.  Better to reinforce the weakest links than try to bring in one big star.  That is what these second and third round picks can do.  Improve the bottom end of your secondary.  Add some depth at LB or OL. All roles that will see the field right away.  But probably not find a QB who can start for you.

So my prediction is that we see OL depth selected, then they trade Thuney to free up cap space to bring in a veteran QB.  I think there is a chance they trade Hightower also, maybe to make cap space for a tight end trade or FA pick up.  Hightower is a great player but due to break down again.  So after a couple of OL, maybe a line backer, a kicker, and a tight end.

Yeah, I'm also thinking today will be an interesting day. Lots of potential scenarios. I highly doubt they use all these picks either, and they'll certainly make a trade or two. I think it's telling they haven't extended Thuney, and also believe he'll get traded (to free up cap space, and also fetch back an asset). I always thought it was a surprise they franchised him, but this would make sense. Our O-Line is still pretty good with Wynn back and Andrews also returning. Plus I expect them to draft a guard/tackle.

What they do today might also determine what our QB picture is. If they don't add a QB like Hurts, I think that means Stidham is 100% our starter. But if they do, then it gets interesting. Would they draft one, or make a trade for someone like Dalton. Or free up cap space to sign someone like Newton. We'll see.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller