Author Topic: Bruins trade Tyler Seguin to Stars  (Read 8337 times)

Bruins trade Tyler Seguin to Stars
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:02:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Fresh off losing a second Stanley Cup championship in three years, Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli moved quickly to rework the team's roster for another deep run.

The Bruins landed wingers Loui Eriksson and prospects Reilly Smith and Matt Fraser and Joe Morrow for centers Tyler Seguin and Rich Peverley and defenseman Ryan Button, an NHL source told the Dallas Morning News.

Seguin, the second overall pick in the 2010 draft, recently signed a six-year deal with Boston with a $5.75 million average annual value. Peverley, who will turn 31 on July 8, has two years left on his deal.

The Bruins, who already have two of the game's best centers in Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, can afford to shed the 21-year-old Seguin to land Eriksson, who reportedly waived his no-trade clause. The 27-year-old Swede had 12 goals in 48 games during the lockout-shortened season, but has scored 118 goals in the previous four years, including a 36-goal campaign in 2008-09.

The Stars, meanwhile, land a cornerstone center in Seguin, who scored just one goal in 22 playoffs. Still, the budding star let the lamp 29 times last season and has 121 points in 203 career NHL games.

I can't say that I know the prospects, but I don't like it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Bruins trade Tyler Seguin to Stars
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Bruins clearly didn't like the person that Seguin was developing into and decided to cut bait before it got any worse. The problem I see happening with this trade is Seguin will probably score about 35-40 goals next year for a Dallas team that doesn't make the playoffs and if the Bruins don't make it to the finals everyone will be like, "see.. Shouldn't have trade him," even though he did nothing for us in the playoffs last year.

Erikkson is a fantastic hockey player, and definitely fits the system more than Seguin in that he plays both ends of the ice really well. He scores about 30 goals a year, but he plays much more physical on the offensive end of the ice than Seguin will probably ever develop. Erikkson will be a better playoff performer because of it, with the physicality of play ramping up in the playoffs.

I like this trade a lot. One, because of the player we got back, and two, because we were able to shed Rich Peverly's salary as well meaning we can  afford to fill Horton's spot with someone like maybe Iginla.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:31:47 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The Bruins, who already have two of the game's best centers in Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, can afford to shed the 21-year-old Seguin to land Eriksson, who reportedly waived his no-trade clause. The 27-year-old Swede had 12 goals in 48 games during the lockout-shortened season, but has scored 118 goals in the previous four years, including a 36-goal campaign in 2008-09.
What?

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »

Offline TheBoss9

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
I hope I am dead wrong and that this will eventually wind up being the right thing to have done - but I truly feel as though we gave up too early on this guy.  I don't hate the return we got, but feel like this might come back to bite us on the butt in the very near future.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What?

Haha.  You didn't hear about the other blockbuster the Bruins pulled off?

Didn't even notice that.  Good for Yahoo. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Wow, talk about giving up too early on a potential superstar. How about they spend a little more time developing this 21 year before dumping him like rotten tuna.

My initial gut reaction to this is bad, bad trade. If they don't win 2 cups in the next 6 years, I consider this trade a complete fail.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Eriksson is older and doesn't have the potential of Seguin, but is more steady and consistent.

I won't miss Seguin and his playoff no shows.  Plus, this move frees up money under the salary cap to potentially find a replacement for Horton.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
What?

Haha.  You didn't hear about the other blockbuster the Bruins pulled off?

Didn't even notice that.  Good for Yahoo.
noticed that right away as well.  thought I was reading a Penguins article by mistake

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 02:56:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This is tough to swallow.  Clearly Seguin must be more than a handful off the ice for them to give up on him like this.  The stories have already been leaking in, and I suppose I can understand it...but he is 21!  I just can't imagine how he is that out of control, that they would give up on him like that.

Anyone know anything about the prospects? 

This feels too much like the Jumbo Joe trade.

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 03:07:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What?
They misspelled Bergeron and Krejci :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."