Author Topic: LA Clippers-NJ Nets trade idea  (Read 3753 times)

LA Clippers-NJ Nets trade idea
« on: July 07, 2008, 03:25:04 AM »

Offline cheferic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 4
Clippers added Baron Davis, next they  will resign Elton Brand, Then what?  What about this?

Clippers send Eric Gordon, Al Thornton, Cuttino Mobley, Brevin Knight and Josh Powell

to NJ Nets for

Vince Carter, Trenton Hassell and Sean Williams

Clippers would have a big three of Brand, Davis and Carter while holding on to a true Center in Kaman and a decent surrounding cast with Tim Thomas, Williams, Hassell, Livingston, Fazekas, DeAndre Jordon, Mike Taylor.

NJ has the PG of the Future in Devin Harris, they have the PFs of the future in Yi and Ryan Anderson, and the Center Brook Lopez.  With this they add young studs at SG and SF (Gordon and Thornton) the rest is filler.

Re: LA Clippers-NJ Nets trade idea
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 07:00:03 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i do not think the nets are doing anything other than trying to get under the cap for a lebron run in 2 years
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 07:35:31 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
i do not think the nets are doing anything other than trying to get under the cap for a lebron run in 2 years

If I understand your point to be "The Nets are only concerned with LeBron in 2010" yeah that's true, but this deal brings back no player under contract after 2010 except Thornton and Gordon and cuts VC's $17M off, too.  That'll be huge because their young and unproven players will have to be signed for that.

I don't think it's a bad deal at all.  Matter of fact, to my highly uneducated mind I think it makes a lot of sense.  The Nets will be drafting in the high lottery until then anyway, why not make a few top three picks until James comes walking through that door.  Even if he doesn't, well at least you have all this young talent.  Wow.  I'm really impressed by a trade offer. 

The only drawback is that they might want to pair up LeBron and Vince Carter, but I really don't see that being the best pair.  I think with this deal they at least get a lot of cheap talent to throw at the wall.  I only need to check and see if it works in the checker with all these moving pieces.

I checked on RealGM, though and in it's present incarnation, it doesn't work.  The Nets are sending out too much salary.  If you hold back Hassel, and send out Marcus Williams instead, it would work, but I wouldn't want to give up on Sean Williams if I were New Jersey.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 08:01:11 AM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No way, if I'm LA, am I giving up Eric Gordon and Al Thornton plus my only depth (Cuttino, Brevin, Josh) to land Vince Carter. No way.

Gordon and Thornton have the ability to better than Carter as soon as next season. I'm rolling with them and seeing whether they can get it done.

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Half man half a season. He and Baron Davis would be QUITE A PAIR in LA!

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 06:29:47 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
They drafted Gordon and Thorton for a reason, they arent trading them to anyone.