Author Topic: Brian Scalabrine for Steven Hunter  (Read 9902 times)

Brian Scalabrine for Steven Hunter
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:34:39 AM »

Offline cornbread

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Anyone know anything about Steven Hunter?  He's a 7-footer out of Depaul playing for Denver.  He has about the same salary and contract length as Scalabrine and if Denver loses Edward Najara a as free agent maybe Scalabrine could take his place.  That would give us a reserve center without having to spend additional money and it would conserve a roster spot.

Re: Brian Scalabrine for Steven Hunter
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Denver doesn't make that trade.

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:59:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is going to freak some of you out, but if we don't re-sign  Posey, I think Scal is likely to play a much bigger role next season.  If Scal could improve his 3 point shot to the neighborhood of Posey, we could get similar production from him. I know that is a big if, but Scal is a good defender, especially against 4's. Neither of them are noted rebounders. I know this is not what you want to hear, fresh off a championship, but I could see Scal getting alot more minutes next season without Posey.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 12:04:51 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
maybe if we throw in a draft pick.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This is going to freak some of you out, but if we don't re-sign  Posey, I think Scal is likely to play a much bigger role next season.  If Scal could improve his 3 point shot to the neighborhood of Posey, we could get similar production from him. I know that is a big if, but Scal is a good defender, especially against 4's. Neither of them are noted rebounders. I know this is not what you want to hear, fresh off a championship, but I could see Scal getting alot more minutes next season without Posey.

what makes you think that scal will suddenly improve his 3 pointer to posey levels? i hope rondo does that, but i think its about as liekly as us signing posey to non-bird rights.

if they don't resign posey, they'll go out and get another athletic defending wing. probley peiturs.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 12:27:06 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
what makes you think that scal will suddenly improve his 3 pointer to posey levels? i hope rondo does that, but i think its about as liekly as us signing posey to non-bird rights.

Scal is a career .347 shooter from beyond the Arc, whereas Posey is a career .351.  That's basically a wash in that Posey took 279 3's last year ... at their career averages, Posey makes 1 more out of 279 than Scal.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brian_scalabrine/career_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/james_posey/career_stats.html

I'm not saying Scal is a good replacement for Posey (I don't think their D and ability to drive are even close), but I'm just replying specifically to your point.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
maybe if we throw in a draft pick.

Exactly right...without including a pick in the deal, the C's would just be trading a contract they don't want for some other teams contract they don't want.  We have to give a team an incentive to take his deal, and a 1-for-1 swap isn't gonna get it done. 

Then again, there are some dumb GMs out there......

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
no.. if you want to trade scal you do it next year. his expiring contract next year would be huge. esp since 2010 has a lot of marquee FAs

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 12:47:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Scal is a career .347 shooter from beyond the Arc, whereas Posey is a career .351.  That's basically a wash in that Posey took 279 3's last year ... at their career averages, Posey makes 1 more out of 279 than Scal.

I'm not saying Scal is a good replacement for Posey (I don't think their D and ability to drive are even close), but I'm just replying specifically to your point.

if you look at the numbers trending, scal hasent shot the 3 that well in 2 years. posey has gone up.

scal is a nice player, but there is no way of we don't sign james posey that danny is rolling with him for more minutes. a replacment, more athletic defender will be found.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 12:57:50 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376

if you look at the numbers trending, scal hasent shot the 3 that well in 2 years. posey has gone up.

Um, over the past 2 years combined, Scal is 59-156 (.378) and Posey is 203-538 (.377).  Care to try another argument?  Come on crownsy, just admit that you didn't check the stats before your post.  ;)

scal is a nice player, but there is no way of we don't sign james posey that danny is rolling with him for more minutes. a replacment, more athletic defender will be found.

BTW, I agree 100% with this.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 01:00:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Scal's best year as a pro was 06-07. He went down last year, but his pt was pretty sporadic.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 01:08:11 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
MattG is correct in that Denver doesn't trade Hunter for Scales. Throwing in a 2nd rounder doesn't help because the Celtics 2nd rounders aren't expected to be even in the 40s. You don't get anything for high 50s draft choices.
Hunter has always been a "tease" in that he now and then plays OK. As a low minutes semi-reliable center he is more highly rated than Scales and it would probably take 2 2nds plus lots of money for Denver to make the trade.
If Boston is going to spend money they will probably try to get a C for LLE money.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Scal is more valuable than Hunter to the C's.

Trading Scalabrine is an incredibly original idea.  There should be a forum category dedicated strictly to that specific subject.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 01:27:10 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'd definitely do that deal.

As for Scal improving his shot. The thing you don't understand is that Scal is a good shooter. He's just incredibly bad with pressure. Notice when the scal chants start the number of airballs skyrockets. I don't know why he's gettin paid that much to choke all game long, but that's what he's doing. I've heard that Scal is one of the greatest warmup players ever if that's worth anything.  ;)

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
hes a good teammate. and ive heard hes a good at practice to. he may be the opposite of "clutch" but hes not a bad shooter  ;D