Author Topic: Joe Mazzulla returning for 2023-24 season  (Read 8839 times)

Re: Joe Mazzulla returning for 2023-24 season
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2023, 07:40:50 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Sad .

Weak Mgmt.

One mistake after another …oh boy

brad cannot swallow his pride and admit he screwed up with joe. oh well. they will both be fired now once they underachieve again, good riddance.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2023, 07:43:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Here's some of the other things Danny said:

“No coach can go through a series and not make mistakes, just like players make mistakes, but we saw some patterns of isolation basketball and going through stretches of not making threes. That’s not just with this group; we’ve seen this throughout the NBA. Teams go on these long 3-point droughts. Their energy level is higher when they make shots, and the Celtics are not unique in that aspect.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/06/02/sports/danny-ainge-celtics-dan-shaughnessy/?s_campaign=bdc:globewell:trending&s_campaign=bdc:globewell:trending

Truth

Also, what makes so many games in today's league unenjoyable for me to watch. Dull.

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2023, 08:37:01 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

“No coach can go through a series and not make mistakes, just like players make mistakes, but we saw some patterns of isolation basketball and going through stretches of not making threes. That’s not just with this group; we’ve seen this throughout the NBA. Teams go on these long 3-point droughts. Their energy level is higher when they make shots, and the Celtics are not unique in that aspect.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/06/02/sports/danny-ainge-celtics-dan-shaughnessy/?s_campaign=bdc:globewell:trending&s_campaign=bdc:globewell:trending

Truth

Also, what makes so many games in today's league unenjoyable for me to watch. Dull.

I actually thought of this while watching Game 1 of the finals. Denver’s lead went down to 9 or 10 points, and the last 5 offensive plays were threes. I thought maybe this really is the new NBA. How did they stop the bleeding? They went to Joker down low on the next three possessions and pushed the lead back to 14.

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2023, 09:13:41 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Truth

One of my concerns with being a high volume 3 pt. shooting team is a lot of our starters aren't actually good at it. Smart, Brown, and Tatum shot 31%, 33%, and 35% respectively. White got his percentage up to 38% which is great, but he also historically isn't a confident outside shooter and still falls into funks for multiple game stretches. Brogdon and Horford admittedly were great this year. However, you probably could have predicted Horford would decline as the playoffs wore on and he lost his legs. Brogdon unluckily injuring his elbow in game 1 was an underrated loss that affected the whole series. You really could argue that he shouldn't have been playing at all and they needed to find a way to incorporate Hauser and/or Pritchard.

It looks like Grant will be too costly to re-sign and Horford will likely be a backup only next year. People are already assuming Brogdon will be trade bait for a more reliable PF/C since he's the most expendable guard out of the three. Are you still going to be able to play the same system? Does it even work in the playoffs?

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2023, 09:03:42 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
There was not one single second where Joe was ever going to be fired this offseason. Not if they lost to Philly, not if they got swept by Miami. It was never going to happen. The degree to which this topic dominated the Discourse is testament to how removed from reality these conversations are.

The Celtics were never going to fire a caoch who didn't get to hire his own staff (a staff that apparently had one foot out the door), lost members of the staff mid-season, had to take the job under really difficult circumstances, and led the team to 57 wins despite all of that.

They also weren't going to have a 4th coach in 4 years.

Joe coming back was always what was going to happen.

then celtics are trash ownership and management. we have college AD's who go out and hire the best proven coach available. brad could not do that? what makes mazz qualified TO EVEN BE GIVEN THIS CHANCE? NOTHING. nothing.
4th coach? who cares? are we not in this to win? big? who gives a crap?

Brad could've coached until a replacement was found. The notion that they had no choice doesn't hold up. They also could've given Joe the job with a the understanding he's stepping down after one is found.

agreed. i said the same thing. he could have been the interim until a new coach was hired. but we knew he was not going to do it. my gut told me.
They did have an interim coach. His name was Joe Mazzulla and he led the team to the best record in the NBA at midseason so they gave him the full time job.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2023, 09:32:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Dang >:(

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2023, 11:34:22 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
There was not one single second where Joe was ever going to be fired this offseason. Not if they lost to Philly, not if they got swept by Miami. It was never going to happen. The degree to which this topic dominated the Discourse is testament to how removed from reality these conversations are.

The Celtics were never going to fire a caoch who didn't get to hire his own staff (a staff that apparently had one foot out the door), lost members of the staff mid-season, had to take the job under really difficult circumstances, and led the team to 57 wins despite all of that.

then celtics are trash ownership and management. we have college AD's who go out and hire the best proven coach available. brad could not do that? what makes mazz qualified TO EVEN BE GIVEN THIS CHANCE? NOTHING. nothing.

Brad could've coached until a replacement was found. The notion that they had no choice doesn't hold up. They also could've given Joe the job with a the understanding he's stepping down after one is found.

agreed. i said the same thing. he could have been the interim until a new coach was hired. but we knew he was not going to do it. my gut told me.
They did have an interim coach. His name was Joe Mazzulla and he led the team to the best record in the NBA at midseason so they gave him the full time job.

So they rewarded him based on a small sample size. Unwise.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2023, 06:46:49 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364

Playing devils advocate here, but in the same token do you fire him based on one series which is even a smaller sample size?

I mean you cant replace coaches every year you don't win the finals. that's crazy. I mean i'm not a huge Joe guy. But they just hired Same Cassell, supposedly are going after Bud's top assistant in milwaukee who was let go. SO they are going to put an experienced staff around him. give him a full offseason (which he didnt have last year) and see how it goes. I mean I don't disagree Celtics didn't put him in the best situation.

It's not like Celtics don't have options if it doesnt work out now either. Sam Cassell is just sitting there to take the job if it doesnt. if I remember, half this board wanted him before they hired Ime.

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2023, 08:01:51 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Playing devils advocate here, but in the same token do you fire him based on one series which is even a smaller sample size?

I mean you cant replace coaches every year you don't win the finals. that's crazy. I mean i'm not a huge Joe guy. But they just hired Same Cassell, supposedly are going after Bud's top assistant in milwaukee who was let go. SO they are going to put an experienced staff around him. give him a full offseason (which he didnt have last year) and see how it goes. I mean I don't disagree Celtics didn't put him in the best situation.

It's not like Celtics don't have options if it doesnt work out now either. Sam Cassell is just sitting there to take the job if it doesnt. if I remember, half this board wanted him before they hired Ime.

I wouldn’t have fired him based on one series; I would’ve said, “You were the interim coach, and you did okay in that capacity, but you’re far too inexperienced to be a permanent NBA head coach at this point in your career.”
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2023, 08:08:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Seems like you’re misrepresenting it a little bit. We wanted Joe fired because of the entire back half of the season showed his significant flaws, and there were lots of better coaches on the market. Nurse, Williams, Vogel, and so on.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2023, 05:18:59 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

I wouldn’t have fired him based on one series; I would’ve said, “You were the interim coach, and you did okay in that capacity, but you’re far too inexperienced to be a permanent NBA head coach at this point in your career.”
Reasonable - I think the Celtics, particularly Stevens, really wanted to find their continuity coach. No sources for that, just a feeling.

Obviously the main fault lies with Udoka for putting us in this mess, but let's remember that Mazza was one of the finalists for the HC job in Utah as well, so clearly the opinion that he's not head coach material is not shared by either the Celtics or Utah's front office.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2023, 06:42:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Fire Joe

« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2023, 01:59:28 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
LET'S GO CELTICS!