Author Topic: Bill Walker looking good, Lester Hudson not a fan of D-League  (Read 20864 times)

Bill Walker looking good, Lester Hudson not a fan of D-League
« on: November 28, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Billy Walker scored 25 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in Maine's season opener. I think we could use his athleticism in our team.

Meanwhile, Lester Hudson doesn't seem excited to go there...

“I don’t want to go to the D-league,” Hudson said, “but if I have to, I will.”

At least Hudson would be less than two hours away in Portland, unlike last year when Walker and J.R. Giddens were shipped off to Utah.

“Yeah, but I still don’t want to go,” he said. “I’d like to be around the guys and learn from the guys, learn the NBA game. The D-league is not the same as the NBA.” 

http://www.telegram.com/article/20091128/NEWS/911280379/1009/SPORTS

Re: Bill Walker looking good, Lester Hudson not a fan of D-League
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:06:11 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I kind of agree with Lester.  He's been on so many different teams just to get here, plus ironically he's older than our second year players.

I am excited though to see Walker up in Portland.  He's a perfect highlight reel type player. Glad to hear he's doing well.

They should send JR there before Lester IMO.  I think Lester has proven his worth.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if i were lester, i would feel the exact same way.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Absolutely right.  The goal is to play in the NBA...why would anyone be happy about going backwards?  You do what you have to do, though.  As long as Hudson is getting minutes  (no matter how limited) he is better off learning from, and playing, with PP, KG, Perk, Rondo, et al, and listening to Doc, Thib and the other coaches.  My opinion.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
Absolutely right.  The goal is to play in the NBA...why would anyone be happy about going backwards?  You do what you have to do, though.  As long as Hudson is getting minutes  (no matter how limited) he is better off learning from, and playing, with PP, KG, Perk, Rondo, et al, and listening to Doc, Thib and the other coaches.  My opinion.

i completely agree with u. i also don't find it fare that these guys are in the d-league while giddens and TA have roster spots.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 11:03:50 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The dude is 25 years old, he doesn't want to be down there.

And i believe that Walker is down there so that JR can get some time to prove whether or not he deserves to be here next year. I Think Billy being 22 really will keep him on the team because of his potential and low salary.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
sending Lester to the D-Lesgue is idiotic. He deserves to be on an NBA roster, no question. Giddens sucks a fat nut and Lester has done nothing but play great D and hit threes. Ridiculous.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 11:36:40 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
The dude is 25 years old, he doesn't want to be down there.

And i believe that Walker is down there so that JR can get some time to prove whether or not he deserves to be here next year. I Think Billy being 22 really will keep him on the team because of his potential and low salary.

Yeah I agree with everything you said. Definitely looks right now that Walker and Lester have a better chance of staying next year than J.R.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline Drivefor18

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
The only reason that giddens isn't in the d-league is because the celtics want to show off whatever skill he has to increase his trade value.  If he was in the d-league he would have zero trade value.  I see that as a good thing in regards to bill walker getting run with the c's later in the season.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I kind of agree with Lester.  He's been on so many different teams just to get here, plus ironically he's older than our second year players.

I am excited though to see Walker up in Portland.  He's a perfect highlight reel type player. Glad to hear he's doing well.

They should send JR there before Lester IMO.  I think Lester has proven his worth.

Isn't he even older than Rondo and Perk?

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
wow. i had no idea he was 25

craaazy he is Perk's age, perk has been around for a while. love that perk is still young, 

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Why are people getting fired up about this?  I think we really have to look at this from a developmental standpoint.  While it's easy to sit there and say "we could use Walker's athleticism" and "Hudson deserves to be on an NBA roster" how practically is this going to work?  Paul played 35 minutes last night, Ray played 34, and Daniels played 25.  That isn't going to change.  Similarly, Rondo played 32 minutes and House played 14.  Simply put, unless Walker can beat out Daniels and Hudson can beat out House, they're not going to play any minutes here but garbage minutes, and is that really worth it? 

Furthermore, while some people may have high opinions of these guys, they have proven absolutely nothing in the NBA thus far.  They certainly don't deserve any special accommodations, no matter how old they are. 

Sometimes it's just best to let young guys play.  Look what the Sox did with Buccholtz.  He pitched his no-hitter then was in Triple A the next year because there wasn't a rotation spot for him.

Let them go down, work on their games, and if the opportunity arises later for them to play, they'll be all the more ready. 

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 01:15:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Why are people getting fired up about this?  I think we really have to look at this from a developmental standpoint.  While it's easy to sit there and say "we could use Walker's athleticism" and "Hudson deserves to be on an NBA roster" how practically is this going to work?  Paul played 35 minutes last night, Ray played 34, and Daniels played 25.  That isn't going to change.  Similarly, Rondo played 32 minutes and House played 14.  Simply put, unless Walker can beat out Daniels and Hudson can beat out House, they're not going to play any minutes here but garbage minutes, and is that really worth it? 

Furthermore, while some people may have high opinions of these guys, they have proven absolutely nothing in the NBA thus far.  They certainly don't deserve any special accommodations, no matter how old they are. 

Sometimes it's just best to let young guys play.  Look what the Sox did with Buccholtz.  He pitched his no-hitter then was in Triple A the next year because there wasn't a rotation spot for him.

Let them go down, work on their games, and if the opportunity arises later for them to play, they'll be all the more ready. 

I agree. Lester still needs to be humble. If Danny wants to send him to D League, embrace it, and continue to learn.  There will be a trade soon enough to shake out our roster issues on the back end, and Lester may be part of the package, if that is what it takes to get an athletic guy here with some experience. 

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 01:53:17 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
wow. i had no idea he was 25

craaazy he is Perk's age, perk has been around for a while. love that perk is still young, 

Perk's youth is one of the things I love about him. He's already a vet with solid playoff experience, works hard, keeps improving his game and understands the importance of defense and consistency. Looking forward to him remaining our franchise center and watching him get even better with age.

As for Lester I hope his age is an asset that allows him to become a useful contributor sooner rather than later.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2009, 02:10:20 PM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
The only reason that giddens isn't in the d-league is because the celtics want to show off whatever skill he has to increase his trade value.  If he was in the d-league he would have zero trade value.  I see that as a good thing in regards to bill walker getting run with the c's later in the season.

Yeah right. Giddens sitting on the bench is really showing him off. If the Cs wanted to show him off, they'd send him down to the D-League so he could actually play.

And regarding Lester, we want people who don't want to play in the D-League. So it's not surprising that he'd say that.