Author Topic: NBA Summer League 2022  (Read 10083 times)

Re: NBA Summer League 2022
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2022, 07:58:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Chet Holmgren looks really good. I can't believe he wasn't the number one pick. He has so much skill.

Yeah, the Magic completely outthought themselves on this one.  The only question is whether the Thunder limit Holmgren’s minutes this year for one last lottery run.  He’s going to be a plus player as a rookie.

I think we have to let it play out. The Jazz have close to the worst SL roster ever assembled. Chet has to show out or else he would be labeled a bust. I mean Nikola Jovic and Gui Santos also had big games.

Unfortunately for the Magic, Chet really didn't want to go there - which is crazy since Orlando has got to be a million times better than OKC as a livable place. We'll see how Banchero plays in his games.

Orlando is hot, wet, and full of tourists.
Traffic is awful there to. I mean horrendous.

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2022, 08:03:22 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2022, 09:00:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Celtics Summer League Scrimmage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zjzyAFKRN0&t=33s

Nice find. TP.
Grant Williams is reffing.

Like Ime said, it's a great learning experience for Grant to see how difficult it can be to ref these games and adjust his reactions himself during the season when refs miss calls on him. They should have Tatum ref some summer league games too.

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2022, 10:18:01 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Nice find. TP.

Like Ime said, it's a great learning experience for Grant to see how difficult it can be to ref these games and adjust his reactions himself during the season when refs miss calls on him. They should have Tatum ref some summer league games too.

Minor correction, but it was Ben Sullivan, who’s coaching summer league, who said that.

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2022, 10:34:26 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Chet Holmgren looks really good. I can't believe he wasn't the number one pick. He has so much skill.

Yeah, the Magic completely outthought themselves on this one.  The only question is whether the Thunder limit Holmgren’s minutes this year for one last lottery run.  He’s going to be a plus player as a rookie.

I think we have to let it play out. The Jazz have close to the worst SL roster ever assembled. Chet has to show out or else he would be labeled a bust. I mean Nikola Jovic and Gui Santos also had big games.

Unfortunately for the Magic, Chet really didn't want to go there - which is crazy since Orlando has got to be a million times better than OKC as a livable place. We'll see how Banchero plays in his games.

Orlando is hot, wet, and full of tourists.
Traffic is awful there to. I mean horrendous.

Gators too!

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2022, 06:12:39 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
The Boston Celtics reportedly have added forward Robert Franks to their Las Vegas Summer League roster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_soKsz-co
Just a body to fill the roster
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2022, 07:07:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Nice find. TP.

CP3 and LeBron , two biggest whiners ever should have to ref games.

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2022, 06:21:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Boston Celtics reportedly have added forward Robert Franks to their Las Vegas Summer League roster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_soKsz-co
Just a body to fill the roster
Sharpshooting wing scorer. Can't hurt to try out as many of them as possible
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2022, 10:39:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Banchero is looking pretty good. Smith Jr not so much…

Hate that this game is on ESPN. Can’t escape Doris even for Summer League. Ugh.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 11:04:23 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2022, 11:06:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Some hopes among Heat fans that Nikola Jovic can be their new Kelly Olynyk after a strong showing in Jovic' last SL game.

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2022, 01:20:00 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

I know it’s only a summer league scrimmage, but I watched JD Davison closely and my initial optimism on him after the draft has soured. He did absolutely nothing special, but most disappointing is that he lacked hustle on defense and lacked confidence/the drive to make something happen on offense.

And before anyone responds, I’m obviously reserving true judgement until I see a lot more. I’m just characterizing how my current gut feel is. Nothing more.

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2022, 01:55:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I know it’s only a summer league scrimmage, but I watched JD Davison closely and my initial optimism on him after the draft has soured. He did absolutely nothing special, but most disappointing is that he lacked hustle on defense and lacked confidence/the drive to make something happen on offense.

And before anyone responds, I’m obviously reserving true judgement until I see a lot more. I’m just characterizing how my current gut feel is. Nothing more.
Reminds me of the old Bruno Caboclo quote: two years away from being two years away
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2022, 02:39:38 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I agree that he wasn't impressive, but not horrible either. Most of the guys on the court are older and either have more college or professional experience. Probably things are moving a bit fast if this was the first scrimmage. Might not want to step on Toes too.

I figured it would take a year or two before he sniffs the floor. Hes got all the tools to be a good player, it's just can he apply it at the NBA level. Who knows with these second round picks. Low risk high reward pick.

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2022, 07:48:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I agree that he wasn't impressive, but not horrible either. Most of the guys on the court are older and either have more college or professional experience. Probably things are moving a bit fast if this was the first scrimmage. Might not want to step on Toes too.

I figured it would take a year or two before he sniffs the floor. Hes got all the tools to be a good player, it's just can he apply it at the NBA level. Who knows with these second round picks. Low risk high reward pick.
Yeah, he's a project like many late 2nd rounders but this team needs projects with many 1st round picks traded away. 

I watched him in that scrimmage partly because his crazy hair makes it easy to pick him out.  @libermaniac, it's very hard to reach even a tentative conclusion about him. Let's see him on Saturday night in a real game.

« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2022, 08:50:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No one stood at that much at the scrimmage to me.    But they have been practicing and I hope we see better tomorrow.    It can be hard to play with guys with no chemistry and connection.