Author Topic: NBA Summer League 2022  (Read 10259 times)

Re: NBA Summer League 2022
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2022, 10:56:19 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Matt Ryan can really get that shot off...

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2022, 11:26:40 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Chet Holmgren looks really good. I can't believe he wasn't the number one pick. He has so much skill.

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2022, 11:54:54 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 11:59:38 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Chet Holmgren looks really good. I can't believe he wasn't the number one pick. He has so much skill.

Yeah, the Magic completely outthought themselves on this one.  The only question is whether the Thunder limit Holmgren’s minutes this year for one last lottery run.  He’s going to be a plus player as a rookie.

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 12:26:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, the Magic completely outthought themselves on this one.  The only question is whether the Thunder limit Holmgren’s minutes this year for one last lottery run.  He’s going to be a plus player as a rookie.

I think we have to let it play out. The Jazz have close to the worst SL roster ever assembled. Chet has to show out or else he would be labeled a bust. I mean Nikola Jovic and Gui Santos also had big games.

Unfortunately for the Magic, Chet really didn't want to go there - which is crazy since Orlando has got to be a million times better than OKC as a livable place. We'll see how Banchero plays in his games.

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2022, 01:00:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I think we have to let it play out. The Jazz have close to the worst SL roster ever assembled. Chet has to show out or else he would be labeled a bust. I mean Nikola Jovic and Gui Santos also had big games.

Unfortunately for the Magic, Chet really didn't want to go there - which is crazy since Orlando has got to be a million times better than OKC as a livable place. We'll see how Banchero plays in his games.

Orlando is hot, wet, and full of tourists.

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2022, 03:01:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Chet Holmgren reminds me of, dare I say it, a young Kevin Durant.

I was thinking that the other day as well. The height, the skinny build, the handle, similar shooting stroke with the quick release. Then today I saw a tweet from KD complimenting Chet on his game the other day with a photo of Holmgren wearing the #7  OKC Jersey (same number as Durant) with KD’s shoes on. Pretty sure Chet tried to model his game after him. Smart kid.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 04:23:32 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2022, 03:09:02 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I was thinking that the other day as well. The height, the skinny build, the handle, similar shooting stroke with the quick release. Then today I saw a tweet from KD complimenting Chet on his game the other day with a photo of Chet wearing the #7  OKC Jersey (same number as Durant) with KD’s shoes on. Pretty sure Chet tried to model his game after him. Smart kid.

Yeah, the comparison has definitely been out there for awhile.  I think they’re different in that Durant was always a scorer from day 1.  In college, he averaged over 25 points a game, and Holmgren never got 25 once.  I grant that Holmgren played fewer minutes than KD, but I think Holmgren has less of a scorer’s instinct and more of a facilitator, and I think that’s a key difference even if their skill set and body type are very reminiscent of each other.

But OKC got a franchise player who will immediately help them win more games.  I thought Chet should have been the number 1 pick all year long, and nothing I’ve seen has convinced me that Orlando got it right, aside from the injury risk that Holmgren’s body looks to have.

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2022, 03:57:43 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
It’s one summer league game folks, we all know how these games are..I wouldn’t get excited bout Holmgren till season starts
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2022, 04:11:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
It’s one summer league game folks, we all know how these games are..I wouldn’t get excited bout Holmgren till season starts

I'm not excited off of one summer league game but he's a high motor guy with lots of skills and he's 7 feet tall.

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2022, 05:21:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
The Boston Celtics reportedly have added forward Robert Franks to their Las Vegas Summer League roster...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_soKsz-co

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2022, 05:26:00 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I was thinking that the other day as well. The height, the skinny build, the handle, similar shooting stroke with the quick release. Then today I saw a tweet from KD complimenting Chet on his game the other day with a photo of Chet wearing the #7  OKC Jersey (same number as Durant) with KD’s shoes on. Pretty sure Chet tried to model his game after him. Smart kid.

Yeah, the comparison has definitely been out there for awhile.  I think they’re different in that Durant was always a scorer from day 1.  In college, he averaged over 25 points a game, and Holmgren never got 25 once.  I grant that Holmgren played fewer minutes than KD, but I think Holmgren has less of a scorer’s instinct and more of a facilitator, and I think that’s a key difference even if their skill set and body type are very reminiscent of each other.

But OKC got a franchise player who will immediately help them win more games.  I thought Chet should have been the number 1 pick all year long, and nothing I’ve seen has convinced me that Orlando got it right, aside from the injury risk that Holmgren’s body looks to have.

Chet’s offensive numbers were a result of the Gonzaga coach choosing to feature other players, primarily Drew Timme. His 14ppg is not indicative of his ability. Holmgren was a 3rd option on offense(almost a 4th) despite being the best player on the team by a wide margin. The coach robbed him.

KD had 647 shot attempts in his 1 season at Texas vs Holmgrens 280 at Gonzaga. Kind of a big detail.

Shot attempts for Gonzaga last year:

Timme-396
Nembhard-310
Holmgren-280
Strawther-271
Bolton-245
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 05:40:24 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2022, 06:44:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think you're underselling Banchero here. I would have taken Smith, but Banchero is legit. I think long-term he'll end up like Blake Griffin was for that one healthy year in Detroit - acceptable defence, dynamic inside-out offence with intense physicality and good playmaking.

I still would have taken Smith.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2022, 07:44:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I think you're underselling Banchero here. I would have taken Smith, but Banchero is legit. I think long-term he'll end up like Blake Griffin was for that one healthy year in Detroit - acceptable defence, dynamic inside-out offence with intense physicality and good playmaking.

Banchero was the safest pick. He already has an NBA body with good upside. I’m looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow.

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2022, 07:51:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Banchero was the safest pick. He already has an NBA body with good upside. I’m looking forward to seeing him play tomorrow.
I don't think you could really go wrong with any of the three. Holmgren has high upside (although I'm less high on him than others), but there are plenty of areas of worry.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)