Author Topic: NBA Summer League 2022  (Read 10264 times)

Re: NBA Summer League 2022
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2022, 11:00:46 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Banchero looked good in his SL debut. 17pts, 6ast, 4reb. Went 2-3 from deep and 5-5 from the line. Finished the game a +20. He also shut down Smith when they matched up.  Jabari finished with 10pts, 7rebs, 3ast while shooting 1-4 from 3pt and 1-2 from the line. He was a -17.

Obviously it’s still early, but I think that Orlando made the right call drafting Paolo first.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2022, 11:29:24 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
He did look good. Hadn't really watched him before - he looked like a mini-Lebron playing as a lead guard.

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2022, 11:45:54 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
No one stood at that much at the scrimmage to me.    But they have been practicing and I hope we see better tomorrow.    It can be hard to play with guys with no chemistry and connection.

They could also be running through things and not necessarily be playing at top speed. They looked like they were playing slower than they should be.

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2022, 12:06:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
He did look good. Hadn't really watched him before - he looked like a mini-Lebron playing as a lead guard.

Jaden ivy looked good as well. He’s lightning quick and was on another level athletically than the other players on the court. Shot’s a little funky, but he did go 2-5 from 3pt and finished the game with 20/6/6.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 12:40:56 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2022, 03:52:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Full Celtics roster:
https://www.nba.com/summer-league/2022/vegas/team/1610612738/celtics

Interesting to note that there are 5 players on the roster who are 25 or older. I assume these guys could make more money overseas but still want a shot at the NBA.

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2022, 05:10:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Full Celtics roster:

Interesting to note that there are 5 players on the roster who are 25 or older. I assume these guys could make more money overseas but still want a shot at the NBA.

If you are perceived as a fringe NBA player that's more money...

« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2022, 04:07:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Keegan Murray vs Paolo Banchero on ESPN right now. Should be interesting…

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2022, 05:13:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Full Celtics roster:

They can still go sign overseas when they get cut here. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2022, 07:04:26 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Celtics Summer League Scrimmage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zjzyAFKRN0&t=33s
I know it’s only a summer league scrimmage, but I watched JD Davison closely and my initial optimism on him after the draft has soured. He did absolutely nothing special, but most disappointing is that he lacked hustle on defense and lacked confidence/the drive to make something happen on offense.

And before anyone responds, I’m obviously reserving true judgement until I see a lot more. I’m just characterizing how my current gut feel is. Nothing more.
Ok. I feel better. JD is playing with lots of effort in the first summer league game. His passing has looked really good too. Missed like 4 layups but he’ll get better as a finisher. He’s about as advertised, and definitely worth a contract to see how he develops.

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2022, 08:34:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I know it’s only a summer league scrimmage, but I watched JD Davison closely and my initial optimism on him after the draft has soured. He did absolutely nothing special, but most disappointing is that he lacked hustle on defense and lacked confidence/the drive to make something happen on offense.

And before anyone responds, I’m obviously reserving true judgement until I see a lot more. I’m just characterizing how my current gut feel is. Nothing more.
Ok. I feel better. JD is playing with lots of effort in the first summer league game. His passing has looked really good too. Missed like 4 layups but he’ll get better as a finisher. He’s about as advertised, and definitely worth a contract to see how he develops.

He looked decent as did Kabengele who had 14pts, 6rebs, 3ast, and 1stl. Kabengele was a +9 which was the highest on the team. Begarin was a +4 and everyone else was a negative.

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2022, 08:57:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Banchero is stat-stuffing thus far. 23 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals, 2 blocks, 8 turnovers and 15 free throw attempts.

Keegan Murray has been good too.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2022, 09:06:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Chet Holmgren about to face off against Jabari Smith Jr on ESPN. 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft, should be interesting.

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2022, 09:09:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He rushed those bunnies but was also fouled on a couple with no calls. It's summer league so kind of a mess. JD looked decent.

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2022, 10:28:46 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Banchero has been the best of the bunch so far. His passing and defense has been impressive.  Would probably go Murray next followed by Holmgren. Jabari Smith Jr has not looked very good.

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2022, 10:54:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Banchero has been the best of the bunch so far. His passing and defense has been impressive.  Would probably go Murray next followed by Holmgren. Jabari Smith Jr has not looked very good.
When every draftnik on the planet had Banchero going 3rd in the draft, I was kinda stumped because, to me, Banchero was clearly the most talented and most NBA ready. The translatable skills were great, his body was developed well for a 19 year old kid and he really just needed to stretch his shooting to the three point line to be able to be a scorer on all levels.

I said back in December or January that he was the best of this draft. I think this is just the start of him showing that. Orlando got a difference maker with Paolo Banchero.