Author Topic: Report: Kaepernick files grievance for collusion against NFL  (Read 4072 times)

Report: Kaepernick files grievance for collusion against NFL
« on: October 15, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Colin Kaepernick is filing a grievance suit under the collective bargaining agreement and has hired lawyer Mark Geragos, according to Bleacher Report, a lawyer who has represented high-profile clients such as Michael Jackson, Winona Ryder and NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield. An ABC report said the grievance claims owners “colluded to deprive Mr. Kaepernick of employment rights in retaliation for Mr. Kaepernick’s leadership and advocacy for equality and social justice.”

Giants co-owner John Mara said he got a flood of letters this off-season from fans pleading him to stay away from Kaepernick, though he denied the one-time rising star was being blackballed. “Anybody that thinks that there’s been any conversations going on among teams about Colin Kaepernick is crazy,” Mara said on ESPN Radio in August. “That just is not the case. I saw a quote, I think it was (Dolphins owner) Steve Ross recently that said, ‘Teams want to win so badly that if they believe a player can help them win, they’re going to bring him on.’ I think there are certain issues obviously that go along with Colin Kaepernick and that may have scared some teams away, but there is absolutely no blackball going on here. I just don’t see that at all.”At the time, Mara thought Kaepernick would find a job.

It’s Week 6, and the player who brought San Francisco to the Super Bowl in 2013 is still unsigned, even as many quarterbacks have gone down. But commissioner Roger Goodell has denied the league has conspired against signing Kaepernick.“I believe that if a football team feels that Colin Kaepernick, or any other player, is going to improve that team, they’re going to do it,” he said in June. Kaepernick has completed nearly 60 percent of his career NFL passes for 12,271 yards and 72 touchdowns with 30 interceptions over 69 NFL games.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:06:52 PM by slightly biased bias fan »

Re: Report: Kaepernick files grievance for collusion against NFL
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 11:13:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
With Rodgers out for the year, if Packers are serious about clinching a playoff spot, they should sign Kap. He even grew up a Packers fan I believe.

As for this case though, it will be hard to prove Kap's point. But I do agree he's being "blackballed". It's honestly hard to argue against that. When guys like Weeden and Cutler (for $10M???) are getting signed quickly while no one considers Kap... I mean is it really hard not to see it?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 11:31:35 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
With Rodgers out for the year, if Packers are serious about clinching a playoff spot, they should sign Kap. He even grew up a Packers fan I believe.

As for this case though, it will be hard to prove Kap's point. But I do agree he's being "blackballed". It's honestly hard to argue against that. When guys like Weeden and Cutler (for $10M???) are getting signed quickly while no one considers Kap... I mean is it really hard not to see it?

That's karma for breaking up with Olivia Munn, lol :laugh:.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 11:33:22 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I want to post a gif of Ruxin screaming collusion, but I’m not tech savvy enough.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 11:45:55 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm no lawyer—I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night—but it seems to me that collusion is very difficult to prove in a court of law.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 01:30:22 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Kap opted out of his contract. What a joke. Publicity stunt for the for-profit racism industry
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 01:40:51 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Kap opted out of his contract. What a joke. Publicity stunt for the for-profit racism industry

I originally thought that too but if you've noticed he hasn't done a single interview this whole period. Usually if you are out for money you would be doing the media circuit, I have also heard that Kap gives a lot to charities and works within poor communities.

Like someone earlier stated, collusion is very hard to prove but it is quite obvious that the NFL owners (and most likely Goodell) have made a pact not to sign Kaepernick because of his polarising protests. Multiple less qualified QB's have been signed and traded for and Kaepernick hasn't even been asked to any training camps or workouts. When Colts knew Luck would be out for the first several weeks of the season and would rather put in their abysmal back ups and then trade for Pats third string QB Brissett...I personally knew the fix was in.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 01:44:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Insanity.

Maybe it's something to do with his the cliff his ability has fallen off
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 02:11:55 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I don’t think he’ll win in a court of law, but you’re blind if you don’t think that his political stance is the reason why he’s unsigned. That is illegal, it will just be very difficult to prove.

The only reason other than the fact that owners are unwilling to sign him because of his protests and views would be that he’s unwilling to take a backup job and the minimum salary. But from what I’ve heard, he’s not demanding a starting job or a big salary. He’s clearly good enough to be a backup or 3rd stringer in this league, owners are just refusing to sign him based on his beliefs and protests that he has made.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 04:31:47 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Everyone knows that Collin Kapernick does not have a job because of his political stance.  I think that that is clear and obvious.  That being said I do not see any way that he wins this grievance and I do not believe that there has been any collusion.  Of course owners and the commissioner have talked about him but I doubt that they have a pact to keep him out of the league.  It is more likely that each owner has decided that they simply do not want to be the one to sign him and upset a good portion of their fans and have to deal with the circus that would come with signing him.  Regardless of talent, signing Kap is bad for business and above all else the owners are businessmen.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 04:41:25 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I originally thought that too but if you've noticed he hasn't done a single interview this whole period. Usually if you are out for money you would be doing the media circuit, I have also heard that Kap gives a lot to charities and works within poor communities.

Like someone earlier stated, collusion is very hard to prove but it is quite obvious that the NFL owners (and most likely Goodell) have made a pact not to sign Kaepernick because of his polarising protests. Multiple less qualified QB's have been signed and traded for and Kaepernick hasn't even been asked to any training camps or workouts. When Colts knew Luck would be out for the first several weeks of the season and would rather put in their abysmal back ups and then trade for Pats third string QB Brissett...I personally knew the fix was in.
whoa whoa whoa.

Its not obvious at all.

It IS obvious that all NFL teams have decided they would rather have a ****ty QB who doesnt provide a distraction than bring in a slightly less ****ty QB.

Kaepernik is very mediocre, 29 years old, and forces you to design the entire offense around a very unique set of strengths and weaknesses. He just isnt good enough to carry this distraction into a locker room.

That said, maybe a QB goes down (Aaron Rodgers) and a team decides that his talent is worth the distraction. There does exist a point somewhere where the next best available QB is inferior enough that Kaep will be signed.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 04:45:49 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'm no lawyer—I didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn last night—but it seems to me that collusion is very difficult to prove in a court of law.
I am not a lawyer either, but to my layman's eyes collusion seems impossible to prove here.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 06:20:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I am not a lawyer either, but to my layman's eyes collusion seems impossible to prove here.

Unless somebody was a whistleblower, or somebody was dumb enough to put the plan into writing, I think that's right.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 06:36:07 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Look Cap is bad. He was always a tall mobile quarterback with a strong arm and questionable accuracy. He was incapable of making the simplest of reads down the field. Mobile quartbacks are able to improve if they become a better signal caller. Cap was awful before all of this went down. If a team thought he could help, he would be on a squad already.
#JKJB

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TPs to chicagoceltic and Ilikesports.

I agree that if Kaepernick was just an ordinary dude he would probably be a 3rd stringer somewhere, but teams have likely [individually] decided that it is not worth the distraction or fan outrage. I think some people are greatly overvaluing his current talent level.

I understand what he is doing and more power to him for bringing an issue to the forefront he thought deserved attention, but there are sometimes consequences for protests. The fact is, if Kap really was a generational talent, then he would be signed; even Michael Vick was given another opportunity.