Author Topic: Marcus Smart has been named first team all-defense, according to the NBA.  (Read 4263 times)

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Not that I disagree with the results, but kind of surprised Butler (2/5/9), Simmons (0/2/2), and our own Jaylen Brown (0/1/1) didn't get more votes. 
(first place votes/2nd place votes/total points).

Butler on reputation and that he can swing between guard and forward on the ballot.

Simmons' size really helps him have a unique and effective style from the guard position.

And Brown, because well I watch him all the time and am part homer.

James Harden (2/0/4), got as many 1st place votes as Butler, and more points than Brown or Simmons, who got the same amount as votes as Kyrie Irving  :o

Remember when all the players were tweeting out in shock that Avery Bradley didn't make an All-D team?  Dude hasn't sniffed All-D since he left Boston (but only played 46 and 63 games the last 2 seasons).  How far he's seemingly fallen.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 03:36:47 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Congrats Smaht!

Very much deserved. It’s great to see his defensive wizardry acknowledged. It’s just a shame that he had to become a starter to finally earn that recognition.

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I'm so happy for him! Just crazy it's his first selection, he should have at least two more.

Is no one gonna mention Eric Bledsoe? I dont think he belongs anywhere near these other guys

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm so happy for him! Just crazy it's his first selection, he should have at least two more.

Is no one gonna mention Eric Bledsoe? I dont think he belongs anywhere near these other guys

For my part, I had no idea Bledsoe was considered such a good defender. But more importantly ...

Congratulations, Mahcus!!! You earned it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
just the stat that was published a while ago, that when guarding C and PF they are 7 for 130 or something should land him the honors.

you can argue that he should have gotten in last couple of years, but yeah, being a starter helped the cause.
my favorite player since Paul Pierce
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Him starting more games and shooting better got him in. Long overdue.

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Not that I disagree with the results, but kind of surprised Butler (2/5/9), Simmons (0/2/2), and our own Jaylen Brown (0/1/1) didn't get more votes. 

Butler on reputation and that he can swing between guard and forward on the ballot.

Simmons' size really helps him have a unique and effective style from the guard position.

James Harden (2/0/4), got as many 1st place votes as Butler, and more points than Brown or Simmons, who got the same amount as votes as Kyrie Irving  :o

Remember when all the players were tweeting out in shock that Avery Bradley didn't make an All-D team?  Dude hasn't sniffed All-D since he left Boston (but only played 46 and 63 games the last 2 seasons).  How far he's seemingly fallen.
I think Harden lead the league in steals or was towards the end of the season. That probably factored in a lot for the voters especially for a normally weak defender like harden. Jaylen probably deserved more recognition though. Definitely stepped up on that end this year
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Selfishly am thinking how this improves the value of our trade package for AD.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Great selections except for Bledsoe. Really? I'd put Beverly over him.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I think Harden lead the league in steals or was towards the end of the season. That probably factored in a lot for the voters especially for a normally weak defender like harden. Jaylen probably deserved more recognition though. Definitely stepped up on that end this year

I think he (Harden) also led the league in deflections.

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Finally.

Took Tony Allen until 2011 too, or 2012 for 1st team.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
About [dang] time!

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

For my part, I had no idea Bledsoe was considered such a good defender. But more importantly ...

Congratulations, Mahcus!!! You earned it.

Bledsoe has taken the reins as one of if not the top shot-blocking guards in the league.

Don't know if it shows up in the stats but eye test wise I've seen him straight erase some shots from the weak side at crucial moments this postseason.

He's the first point of contact in a destructive defensive unit.

As for Smart though, well deserved. Cheers, its great to see him finally be recognized for his elite contributions to defense. Smart is a force and changes the dynamic of the team when he steps onto the court.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Congrats, Marcus! It's great to see him get recognized, especially in a year where our defense seemed to take a step back
I'm bitter.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Congrats to Marcus!  great job, well deserved for being such a great def player for many years.

I think Jaylen kind of got the shaft with only 1 vote.  His def in the last 1/2 of the season was arguably the best on the team.