Author Topic: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma  (Read 31266 times)

Re: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2019, 04:55:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It feels really weird to read things about going with the "young wings" of Atlanta when those young wings are only 13 months and 21 months younger.

Jaylen is still so very young himself.

Edit: My brain locked in on Hunter/Huerter Reddish is 3 years younger than Jaylen since both were one and dones

« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2019, 05:53:44 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Yep we are comparing a borderline star to a superstar which is why I said it is not apt.

Well Harden wasn't a borderline superstar when he was traded... Much like Brown he was a borderline bench player/starter with other established players in front of him.

« Reply #167 on: September 11, 2019, 06:13:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Yep we are comparing a borderline star to a superstar which is why I said it is not apt.

Well Harden wasn't a borderline superstar when he was traded... Much like Brown he was a borderline bench player/starter with other established players in front of him.

He was 6th man of the year his 3rd season, and all star and all pro by his 4th. It’s not the same.

« Reply #168 on: September 11, 2019, 09:06:37 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

He was 6th man of the year his 3rd season, and all star and all pro by his 4th. It’s not the same.

Agree.

Harden was already an established player worth the max when he was about to become a FA.

Brown is not yet an established player.

Some Celtic fans believe Brown is not worth the max and some do.

So I totally agree that the Harden-Brown comparison is not the same.

« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2019, 09:32:50 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Harden was not an all-star prior to being traded. Being the primary scorer on that pretty decent Rockets team will make you an all-star. There are plenty of pundits who were pretty skeptical of Harden becoming superstar at that time.

Prime Jason Terry and Jamal Crawford were 6th men too but I wouldn't trade Brown straight up for them either.

jaylen brown
« Reply #170 on: September 12, 2019, 08:49:13 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
the lack of centers by this us team forced pop to use our starting shooting guard as a center!!!! this shows obviously his versatility but does this situation help our cause? i see a jaylen who thinks before he shoots a guy who passes first and does not drive easily.. why have jaylen harris mitchel in the same team???? it is a good lesson this wc for the celtics guys... they will have to work more because guys like bogdanovic and de colo are killing them
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 08:56:33 AM by konkmv »

« Reply #171 on: September 12, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

He was a 31 MPG player with a TS .660 and he was often the closing offensive option for that Thunder team.

I don't think the league thought he was a MVP caliber player when he was traded, but he was absolutely thought of as an all-star level player. He easily could have made the team, but the veterans got the nod from the coaches.

« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Danny can't wait until the end of the season.

Once the season ends, it's either the Celts match the offer another team gives Brown or the Celts lose Brown and get nothing in return.

Celts will have no leverage in that scenario.

There are teams out there desperate enough to give Brown 30m per year.

So Ainge must figure it out on or before the trade deadline.
Sorry, but which teams are giving Brown that much???

If so, my guess is Atlanta
Really? I feel like JB would be a strange target unless one of Reddish, Hunter & Huerter flops this season
Cavs seem like a pretty decent fit for Brown.  Plenty of cap space next summer (even keeping Love) and only Dylan Windler and Kevin Porter on the team from the 2 wing positions (Osman is a free agent that summer as well, but even bringing him back wouldn't foreclose Brown).  He would seemingly fit very well with the young team that the Cavs are building and would fit well both by positional and age on that team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2019, 11:12:35 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Once the season ends, it's either the Celts match the offer another team gives Brown or the Celts lose Brown and get nothing in return.

Really? I feel like JB would be a strange target unless one of Reddish, Hunter & Huerter flops this season
Cavs seem like a pretty decent fit for Brown.  Plenty of cap space next summer (even keeping Love) and only Dylan Windler and Kevin Porter on the team from the 2 wing positions (Osman is a free agent that summer as well, but even bringing him back wouldn't foreclose Brown).  He would seemingly fit very well with the young team that the Cavs are building and would fit well both by positional and age on that team.

MEM might, they have an excellent PG and C young guys going forward but absolutely nothing on the wing. They have like 70 million in cap space and arent a destination that will be in play for big name guys. And since they will owe us a pick either 2020 or 2021 they may want to go the RFA route to add further young talent to their core. Als they may just wnat to mess with us for that reason.

« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

MEM might, they have an excellent PG and C young guys going forward but absolutely nothing on the wing. They have like 70 million in cap space and arent a destination that will be in play for big name guys. And since they will owe us a pick either 2020 or 2021 they may want to go the RFA route to add further young talent to their core. Als they may just wnat to mess with us for that reason.

Charlotte has shown the willingness to chase RFA's before and Jaylen seemed like he had a good connection with Rozier.

Detroit?
Phoenix?
San Antonio?
Maybe if Portland could clear cap?
Cavs?

« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2019, 02:01:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Crappy teams like CLE, ATL, or MEM having tons of cap space will pretty much guarantee Jaylen gets a max offer sheet. Those cities are the opposite of destination cities and Jaylen - while not a guarantee to be a star - is at least on track to be a very good two-way player over the course of the 4 years he is in a particular city.

He is young, possesses leadership, and plays the most valuable position in the NBA today. The good news is that we will have the ability to match (and probably should). And at least we won't be on the hook for a 5-yr $170M contract that guys like Murray and Simmons are getting. If the goal is to move him and not lose him for nothing, there are options this year, in a s&t, or in the future. Hopefully Jaylen goes nuclear and makes that option much less likely.

« Reply #176 on: October 04, 2019, 05:40:17 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Forgive me if this has been stated, but why didn't the Celts extend Jaylen prior to this season and lock him up ?
Did Brown and his agent make an offer to Ainge this summer for an extension and were turned down ?

So many of these players seem to think if they are a starter with some All-Star potential, then they deserve a max contract. That's crazy. Think of all the past players who would have demanded the max and broken up great teams ..... Havlicek in the 60's, JoJo, Cedric Maxwell, McHale, Ray Allen, just to name a few. These crazy salaries are going to eventually hurt the league. I'm hoping we can keep Brown, Tatum and Hayward long term, but we can't pay all three max money along with Kemba Walker.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #177 on: October 04, 2019, 06:24:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Forgive me if this has been stated, but why didn't the Celts extend Jaylen prior to this season and lock him up ?
Did Brown and his agent make an offer to Ainge this summer for an extension and were turned down ?

So many of these players seem to think if they are a starter with some All-Star potential, then they deserve a max contract. That's crazy. Think of all the past players who would have demanded the max and broken up great teams ..... Havlicek in the 60's, JoJo, Cedric Maxwell, McHale, Ray Allen, just to name a few. These crazy salaries are going to eventually hurt the league. I'm hoping we can keep Brown, Tatum and Hayward long term, but we can't pay all three max money along with Kemba Walker.

There was some report that they were miles apart in negotiations so talks broke down. From the sounds of it, Ainge low-balled Jaylen.

If I were Jaylen, I would accept nothing less than the max. I rated him as a borderline All-Star already. Nevermind potential. Borderline All star at his age. Add in opportunity for improvement. That is max money. No doubt.

Edit: I found the thing I was thinking of. Not exactly how I remembered it.

NBA Central @TheNBACentral

The chances are "pretty slim" on a contract extension between the Boston Celtics and Jaylen Brown, per @SeanDeveney 

Brown’s camp believes his value is closer to Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray’s 5yr /$170M contract extension rather than Caris LeVert’s 3 yr/$52.5M extension.

Doesn't say Ainge offered the LeVert figure. I misremembered that and thought it was an offer.

« Reply #178 on: October 04, 2019, 07:01:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

There was some report that they were miles apart in negotiations so talks broke down. From the sounds of it, Ainge low-balled Jaylen.

If I were Jaylen, I would accept nothing less than the max. I rated him as a borderline All-Star already. Nevermind potential. Borderline All star at his age. Add in opportunity for improvement. That is max money. No doubt.

The chances are "pretty slim" on a contract extension between the Boston Celtics and Jaylen Brown, per @SeanDeveney 

Brown’s camp believes his value is closer to Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray’s 5yr /$170M contract extension rather than Caris LeVert’s 3 yr/$52.5M extension.

Doesn't say Ainge offered the LeVert figure. I misremembered that and thought it was an offer.
But it does strongly imply that Ainge offered him a figure that's quite close to what LeVert got, which is an insultingly low offer. If I were Jaylen I would've sent a trade request, doesn't make much sense to play for an FO that doesn't value you as much as they should and compete against their favourites for playing time and shots in a contract year.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #179 on: October 04, 2019, 07:55:38 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

But it does strongly imply that Ainge offered him a figure that's quite close to what LeVert got, which is an insultingly low offer. If I were Jaylen I would've sent a trade request, doesn't make much sense to play for an FO that doesn't value you as much as they should and compete against their favourites for playing time and shots in a contract year.

I don't really think they would have actually offered him the Levert deal. The quote just sets up a range of what similar players to Jaylen have signed.

Levert has been injured essentially most of his career if you include his time at Michigan. Even though he has showed arguably a bit more than Jalen when healthy, Jalen's durability puts him well outside the Levert contract range.

I think the Celtics mostly viewed it as a 'we're not going to be able to give you an offer that you wouldn't find insulting so we'd rather just wait until free agency.'

The news about the Celtics approaching Jalen on an extension is more to gauge where Jaylen feels he is at rather than actually trying to put together an extension that Jalen would accept.