Author Topic: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma  (Read 31425 times)

Re: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 01:29:36 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
When you can match there is no rush to extend unless there is a team friendly discount. Brown could also be looking for a bigger role and may not want to extend unless he gets it.

If Hayward returns to All-Star form and Tatum becomes a 20-point scorer, Brown will not get a bigger role.

We all know Hayward is Brad's boy.

Tatum is better than Brown.

So Brown will just have to be content with whatever is given to him.

Tatum better than Brown is subjective. There are other things that Brown excels and Tatum is terrible.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 03:58:43 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
When you can match there is no rush to extend unless there is a team friendly discount. Brown could also be looking for a bigger role and may not want to extend unless he gets it.

If Hayward returns to All-Star form and Tatum becomes a 20-point scorer, Brown will not get a bigger role.

Tatum better than Brown is subjective. There are other things that Brown excels and Tatum is terrible.

Besides scoring, Tatum is better than Brown in rebounding and passing.

Brown is better on defense right now.

The deciding factor is length.

Tatum's length and wingspan gives him the overall advantage.

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 04:46:20 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Brown is the better off ball scorer. He moves well without the ball in his hands.

Brown also appear to be more physical than Tatum who shy away from contact.

Brown also looks stronger than Tatum right now.

Both Tatum and Brown are below average passer. But Brown is a better decision maker with the ball marginally. Tatum settles too much on isolation pullups.

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 04:52:53 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121

Brown is the better off ball scorer. He moves well without the ball in his hands.

Both Tatum and Brown are below average passer. But Brown is a better decision maker with the ball marginally. Tatum settles too much on isolation pullups.

The Tatum vs. Brown debate is very subjective.

But here's the thing, every year there's always an elite 6-6 or 6-7 SG entering the draft.

Right now Tatum is not very physical because his body is not yet fully developed.

Jaylen Brown's body is already an NBA body.

It's looking like Ainge will not make a move anymore this summer.
This will give Brown a chance to prove he's worth keeping.
I think this coming season will determine whether Brown is a future All-Star or not.

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 06:22:42 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

The Tatum vs. Brown debate is very subjective.

But here's the thing, every year there's always an elite 6-6 or 6-7 SG entering the draft.

Right now Tatum is not very physical because his body is not yet fully developed.

Jaylen Brown's body is already an NBA body.

It's looking like Ainge will not make a move anymore this summer.
This will give Brown a chance to prove he's worth keeping.
I think this coming season will determine whether Brown is a future All-Star or not.
May I ask why Jaylen has to prove his worth keeping (especially in his mind)?
His peer Jamal Murray already got the 5 yr max guaranteed and I’m sure most Celtics favs think brown is the superior player

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 08:05:46 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If we end up trading him and he develops into a perennial all-star yeah. I don't see MVP potential just because he's not that level of scorer/offensive player but he could definitely make the C's regret moving him.

As it is I worry more that he ends up being similar to Otto Porter for this Celtics squad.

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 09:25:44 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
4 years max - no brainer.
That's his market price if he just continues what he did so far.
Being healthy, shoot 3's and defend.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 09:30:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
If we end up trading him and he develops into a perennial all-star yeah. I don't see MVP potential just because he's not that level of scorer/offensive player but he could definitely make the C's regret moving him.

As it is I worry more that he ends up being similar to Otto Porter for this Celtics squad.

Otto Porter is going to have a great year in Chicago.  He was a terrible fit in Washington, because Wall and Beal got all the plays run for them and he got scraps when Wall decided to get him the ball.  It was only a small sample size, but his efficiency went up at the same time his usage went to a career-high after going to Chicago.  I expect him to get All-Star consideration this year.

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 09:41:13 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

Otto Porter is going to have a great year in Chicago.  He was a terrible fit in Washington, because Wall and Beal got all the plays run for them and he got scraps when Wall decided to get him the ball.  It was only a small sample size, but his efficiency went up at the same time his usage went to a career-high after going to Chicago.  I expect him to get All-Star consideration this year.
Bold.
But the expectations are low on him and he is vet now while still being in his athletic prime, so I could see a career year.
All-star sounds too much, since we will have at least 3 :)

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 09:43:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Right but is he going to be much better than say Harrison Barnes?

That's the worry with Jaylen, a high draft pick two way wing who commands a max salary, but doesn't do enough to be a top 3 player on a title team.

Jaylen is very talented and I believe in him more than those two, homer cap firmly on for Jaylen, but that's the worry.

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 09:44:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Bold.
But the expectations are low on him and he is vet now while still being in his athletic prime, so I could see a career year.

I hedged by saying “consideration”.  I ultimately don’t expect him to get on the roster this year, because typically an All-Star appearance is as much about last year as the current year, but when people are talking about the final couple of spots in the East/injury replacement, he will be in the conversation.

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

Bold.

I hedged by saying “consideration”.  I ultimately don’t expect him to get on the roster this year, because typically an All-Star appearance is as much about last year as the current year, but when people are talking about the final couple of spots in the East/injury replacement, he will be in the conversation.
I get it, a la Crowder in 2015-16.
Bulls are definitely one of the more intriguing teams to me now. Lots of ?

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Right but is he going to be much better than say Harrison Barnes?

That's the worry with Jaylen, a high draft pick two way wing who commands a max salary, but doesn't do enough to be a top 3 player on a title team.

Jaylen is very talented and I believe in him more than those two, homer cap firmly on for Jaylen, but that's the worry.

I think Porter can be a top-3 player on a championship team.  I think the same about Jaylen.  Porter went through about 4 seasons of what we saw Jaylen experience last year — having a star-level PG who thinks he’s an MVP-level PG, but who at the same time wants star veterans for teammates instead of ascending players.  Porter got shut out by Wall, and to a lesser extent by Beal, the same way Jaylen got shut out by Kyrie.  I expect both to flourish this year.  (Also, I feel very badly for Caris Levert, who’s about to experience this in Brooklyn).

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2019, 10:07:41 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I expect Jaylen to get the max, because I expect Jaylen to continue to improve. If Jaylen is worth the max I'd be shocked if the Celtics ownership would trade him.

OKC traded Harden because they didn't want to pay him the max. I don't think the Celtics would shy away from paying him the max.

Although, if teams with big future assets blew the Celtics away with a sign and trade offer then I could see Jaylen not coming back.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The better comparison in my mind is with Golden State and Harrison Barnes. Golden State was not going to max out Barnes, when they also had Curry, Thompson, and Green. Dallas knew this and gave Barnes a max contract, that they would later regret doing. Don’t get me wrong, I like Jaylen, but his level of playmaking skill is closer to Barnes, and nowhere near the level of Harden at this same point in their careers. Elite playmakers are those rare max type players that are deserving of the contract, whereas 3&D guys are simply not.