Poll

Does Taco make the team

Yes. Taco time is here to stay.
92 (61.7%)
No. No room for Tacos
57 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year  (Read 62106 times)

Re: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2019, 06:49:44 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Tacko Fall is this year's Robert Upshaw. CB was ablaze with people contending that Upshaw was:

At first...a 1st round pick
Then...a potential steal as a 2nd rounder
And after not being drafted...a must have undrafted free agent pick up because GMs make mistakes all the time and Upshaw was a future DPOY that the GMs just overlooked.
Finally....he was going to be the next great Laker center because LAL signed him. Ainge screwed up. OMG how did we miss out on him.

Yeah, then Upshaw was cut before the season started and nevered played a single NBA game ever.

While I like Tacko, I remember how CB killed Ainge for not drafting Upshaw. Said he never drafts good Centers and likes guards that's why he didn't draft Upshaw. (You know, kind of the same thing people are saying for drafting Langford)

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2019, 07:03:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Tacko Fall is this year's Robert Upshaw. CB was ablaze with people contending that Upshaw was:

And after not being drafted...a must have undrafted free agent pick up because GMs make mistakes all the time and Upshaw was a future DPOY that the GMs just overlooked.
Finally....he was going to be the next great Laker center because LAL signed him. Ainge screwed up. OMG how did we miss out on him.

Yeah, then Upshaw was cut before the season started and nevered played a single NBA game ever.

As an Upshaw detractor and a Tacko supporter who thought he was late second-round material, I think this is unfair.  Upshaw’s issues were twofold: first, and foremost, he had a significant drug problem that either created or enhanced a work ethic issue.  Secondly, his half-season of good college basketball came largely against very weak non-conference competition — Washington made a habit of scheduling patsies.

Fall, firstly, is huge.  It’s very easy to see how he could be useful in certain situations, even if he never gets any better at basketball.  Trying to defend an inbound with a few seconds to go? Seems like putting a 7’7” guy on the inbounder could make things a little more difficult.  Need six fouls against Joel Embiid while frustrating him for a few minutes? Tacko can probably do that.

And there’s hope that he could get better, as he was a late arrival to basketball, and by all accounts he’s very dedicated and coachable.  At 7’7” and 300+ pounds, he’s never going to have great agility, but with continued practice and playing time, he could become more court aware to help mitigate that.  It’s a cliche, but you can’t teach 7’7”, and there’s reason to think he could be a viable NBA player for 10-15 minutes a night at some point in his future.

Those who want him are largely looking at Yabusele’s spot on the roster.  And that’s fair.  Yabu has not looked at all like an NBA player in the 3 years since he was drafted.  The odds that his team option of almost $5 million will be picked up for next season are quite poor.  Tacko is all of a week older, so there’s no age advantage.  Might as well see what he can do, and get restricted free agent rights next summer.

Tacko is not Upshaw.

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2019, 07:26:19 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

His potential is actually extremely limited by being a big stiff!

I actually was surprised how well he moves, I was expecting him to be less mobile and a bigger stiff.  While. he is not fast. I was impressed how he runs the floor and the like for a guy his size.

TP. For seeing what I see.

I do, too. 

Also he was active, had good anticipation, and made good choices protecting the paint.

His amazing length mostly made up for his slow lateral acceleration, I thought.

Good hands, looks like.

For someone that big, really good joints, good balance. Guys that big seldom last long because of foot problems, but he might be an exception. Just a really good body.

On D he wasn’t bending his knees, instead bending at the waist - useless posture. But you have to wonder how much of a stance he even needs with his length; and nobody is moving him off his spot!

I was amazed. He might actually have a future.

Yea maybe I missed something because I didn’t see Fall as being stiff which is weird. It’s like you can actually take time to train Tacko on actual basketball things as he MOVES LIKE AN NBA PLAYER. There are people much smaller than him who cant even move like an NBA player, I know that sounds strange but it just the way I observe things.

Normally you would laugh when someone over 7 foot say things like he wants to train with KG. It’s laughable because they are usually so uncoordinated that it would be impossible to learn much from someone as great as KG as they can’t even “move” well enough to perform a simple jump shot.

One thing y’all need to key in on is how smooth Tacko runs in transition. He makes it from one end to the other quickly! Not only that he doesn’t look gassed while doing it multiple times. They say his glaring weakness is being switched out to the perimeter, i to believe this SHOULD be an issue with Tacko, but what I will also say is that him being stuck on the perimeter has yet to happen. He moves pretty well laterally which is beyond shocking.

So my overall summary of Tacko is he is the first 7’3+ Player in the passed 10 years who is COACHABLE. He isn’t a slow walking stick. He has the potential to change the NBA away from small ball being so dominate.

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2019, 08:09:03 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Probably he doesn't make it.

His ceiling is as a backup big who could give you 10-15 minutes a night. Some interesting pluses and clear minuses.

On the other hand, if you add him to the team, you need a roster spot. So you're cutting someone you drafted or someone like Yabusele - who is useless on the court but represents over three million in matching salary. For this team, the salary is important. Theis plus Yabu plus Semi is about $10 million. If you're asking me if I'd rather use the Yabu deal to facilitate a trade for midlevel veteran at the deadline or add Tacko to the roster, I take the veteran every time. See if Tacko will go to Maine. (Obviously, nobody is giving us a useful vet for those guys; there will be future pick(s) included, but we need the match.)

(As an aside, I remember people thinking Theis was an overpay. Yes, relative to his basketball skills; no, as trade filler.) 

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2019, 08:37:09 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I thought Yabu’s salary is more useful in a trade to bring in a legit big man.

But man, Fall is an interesting prospect. I don’t think he’ll be a star but he could be a solid rotation big at some point for 15-20 mins a night. He’s not a total stiff mobility wise. But he’s definitely had an impact on the minutes he’s played in summer league. I wish there was a way to stash him in Maine.

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 09:57:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I thought Yabu’s salary is more useful in a trade to bring in a legit big man.

But man, Fall is an interesting prospect. I don’t think he’ll be a star but he could be a solid rotation big at some point for 15-20 mins a night. He’s not a total stiff mobility wise. But he’s definitely had an impact on the minutes he’s played in summer league. I wish there was a way to stash him in Maine.
This will effectively be the case.  After being cut, he stands to earn a $50K bonus by signing up with the Red Claws.  C's will not have formal control over him (he could still be snatched by another team) but can keep an eye on him.  I hadn't heard about this approach previously.

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 10:00:37 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I also think he's worth rostering over Yabu basketball-wise, but Yabu's $3m in salary in a trade is likely more valuable.  I think he could be rostered over Semi, but we may already have enough bigs even if only 1 of them is any good.

My question is, can we dump Strus or Waters and give Tacko a 2-way contract?  I think he's easily worth keeping over either of those 2.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2019, 10:12:10 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

but you forget, shaw did NOT have a super cool first name!!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I get the Tacko hype more than Upshaw.

He legit is has a physical profile that is nearly unique with how tall he is. I do think there is a reasonable path to him being a Boban style situational backup who is very productive when on the court and unplayable in many match up situations.

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2019, 10:30:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I also think he's worth rostering over Yabu basketball-wise, but Yabu's $3m in salary in a trade is likely more valuable.  I think he could be rostered over Semi, but we may already have enough bigs even if only 1 of them is any good.

My question is, can we dump Strus or Waters and give Tacko a 2-way contract?  I think he's easily worth keeping over either of those 2.
I suspect if Tacko is retained with a contract, it'll be the result of a Yabu trade with possibly Waters or a second rounder to a team with cap space to open a spot. 

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2019, 10:31:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I get the Tacko hype more than Upshaw.

He legit is has a physical profile that is nearly unique with how tall he is. I do think there is a reasonable path to him being a Boban style situational backup who is very productive when on the court and unplayable in many match up situations.

Yeah and appears to not have Upshaw's attitude/life issues either.

I still don't quite see it with Tacko but I don't see it a lot less than when he was in college. He keeps being effective and he'll get more chances to make a team. At a minimum he's a lot of fun to watch in summer league.

« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2019, 10:40:17 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

I’m not at all worried about keeping Tacko. If they decide that he has enough upside they can easily find a way to keep him. He is currently under a one year non guaranteed contract. If they want him they can need only find a roster spot. The contract can also be converted to a two way contract or they can try to convince him to sign with Maine. Lots of options.

« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I’m not at all worried about keeping Tacko. If they decide that he has enough upside they can easily find a way to keep him. He is currently under a one year non guaranteed contract. If they want him they can need only find a roster spot. The contract can also be converted to a two way contract or they can try to convince him to sign with Maine. Lots of options.

Yes, but I’m specifically asking if they’re allowed to dump a guy like Strus and free up his 2-way spot for Tacko?

Atm there likely isn’t a 15 man roster spot for Tacko but he clearly looks more worthy of a flier than 1 or both of our 2-way guys.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

Could someone clarify his contract situation. I thought it was good until the end of the summer or end of preseason? 

« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

Could someone clarify his contract situation. I thought it was good until the end of the summer or end of preseason?
He is signed to what is called an Exhibit 10 contract. It's a one year, non-guaranteed contract that can be converted to a two way contract if the Celts want. It also allows them to pay him up to a $50,000 bonus if he agrees to sign with the Maine Red Claws. This gives them a few ways to retain him, they can simply put him on the roster, he's under contract. Of course that means leaving someone else off the roster. They can convert the contract to a two way, or they can try to get him to agree to join the Red Claws.