Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 91912 times)

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads)
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2019, 03:25:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
How about a guy that mostly sat his first year and became a captain....Reggie Lewis.
Romeo developing into a player of Lewis' caliber would be amazing for us.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2019, 07:36:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Talk about a guy flying under the radar this season, with very low fan expectations. I swear there has been more chatter/build up about G Williams, Edwards  and even undrafted Tacko than our top pick.  Largely because he didn't play in summer league I guess.

« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2019, 08:18:53 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
All we hearing about is Grant, Edwards and Tacko...but nothing bout Romeo..dont know if thats good or bad
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think that we need to keep in mind that the team will likely make a major trade in the next 12 months, and this will clear up a role for Langford. Hayward and Smart are the most likely players on this roster to go, but in any case it will be a major shakeup.

Unless someone like Poirier or Williams is a major surprise, Ainge will want to make a move for a big when the opportunity presents itself.

« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2019, 09:34:59 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Sounds like Boston Celtics rookie wing Romeo Langford will be cleared for full basketball activities by the start of training camp in a week and a half or so, if he hasn't been fully cleared already. Langford missed Summer League while rehabbing torn ligaments in his right thumb.

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1174819841762611200?s=21

« Reply #275 on: September 19, 2019, 09:57:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think that we need to keep in mind that the team will likely make a major trade in the next 12 months, and this will clear up a role for Langford. Hayward and Smart are the most likely players on this roster to go, but in any case it will be a major shakeup.

Unless someone like Poirier or Williams is a major surprise, Ainge will want to make a move for a big when the opportunity presents itself.

It’s highly unlikely that they will make a trade to create room for Langford in the next year.  We’re talking about the 14th pick in a not very good draft.

Make a trade, sure that’s possible, but not to create playing time for him.  Certainly not this year.  At most that could happen in the middle of his second season, but more likely they just let someone walk in free agency if he shows he’s ready.

Romeo Langford thread(merged threads)
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2019, 09:46:18 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
There is a good, albeit, sobering, article on Celtics Blog written by Max Carlin, dissecting Romeo Langford's jump shot mechanics, and concluding, based on recent video, that the same mechanical flaws still exist, and need correcting.  See link below.

I agree with the basis problem, which is similar to that of Lonzo Ball and LaMelo Ball (both of whom have been working on correcting the problem): Romeo brings the ball up in front of his face, almost to the left side of his head, instead of bringing it up along the right side of his body, the way elite jump shooters do (Look at Harden, Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, as an example of efficient shooting mechanics).  The problem is very correctable, but will require some repetition and retraining. 

The Celtics focused on part of  the problem this summer, by having him wear a ping pong panel on his left, non-shooting hand.  Romeo has the tendency to push off with that hand, which interfered with shooting with the stroke of his dominant arm/hand swing.  My issue is that the left hand interference is not the underlying cause of his bad mechanics, but rather the consequence of his failure to swing the ball up along his right dominant side.  By shifting the ball to the center of his head, or even slightly to the left, it is no wonder that his left hand will interfere with his shot launch. 

Let me know what you think.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/10/2/20894531/boston-celtics-romeo-langford-jump-shot-is-still-under-construction

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:40:32 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Romeo's Jump Shot Mechanics
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2019, 09:57:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not a big fan of Carlin. His over abundant use of very short video clips to try to prove that what he is saying is happening all the time drives me nuts, though I should say, this seems to be all the rage on blogs with people trying to play scouts.

« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I don't always agree with Carlin.

But I had the same observation about Romeo's shot mechanics, which is why it resonated with me. Confirmation bias, I guess.

« Reply #279 on: October 03, 2019, 12:08:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Not a big fan of Carlin. His over abundant use of very short video clips to try to prove that what he is saying is happening all the time drives me nuts, though I should say, this seems to be all the rage on blogs with people trying to play scouts.

I used to enjoy it when it was mostly just Zach Lowe doing it, but now every article I read is broken up by a zillion little clips that I can't even watch because I'm usually reading these articles when I'm waiting in line at the store, or at work, or whatever.

Carlin obviously knows a lot more about shot mechanics than I do.  It's obvious he spends a  great deal of time watching tape of many different players.

With that said, I like to reserve judgment on a player's jumper -- good or bad -- until I see it in games.  There are a lot of guys who have weird form who end up being decent spot-up shooters because they're able to be stable and consistent in how they shoot.

Of course, if Romeo's issue is that his form tends to result in a lot of variation and lack of stability, then that will problem prevent him from being a decent shooter. 

Lots of guys have really nice looking form but end up as streaky or unreliable shooters.

Still other guys have awful jumpers when they enter the league but work on it and turn into quite good shooters.

Point is we don't know until we see it in the real games, and for such a young guy we can't rush to judgment.

From everything I've read I wouldnt' be surprised if Romeo is a bit of a Tyreke Evans type at first.  Mainly shifty, fluid slasher with some passing ability.  Tyreke eventually developed a pretty solid outside shot, though.  Perhaps Romeo will as well.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #280 on: October 03, 2019, 01:22:10 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I don't understand why a guy can't change his shot in an off-season.  I haven't played a ton of basketball, but I would think that within a week of practice (hundreds of shots a day), you can at least train your brain to shoot with your new form as opposed to your old one.  Now, I can understand it taking a lot longer to actually perfect that new shooting form.  But, for the life of my, I can't understand regressing to the point where you use your guide hand to push off the ball.  It shouldn't be that hard, should it?

« Reply #281 on: October 03, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I don't understand why a guy can't change his shot in an off-season.  I haven't played a ton of basketball, but I would think that within a week of practice (hundreds of shots a day), you can at least train your brain to shoot with your new form as opposed to your old one.  Now, I can understand it taking a lot longer to actually perfect that new shooting form.  But, for the life of my, I can't understand regressing to the point where you use your guide hand to push off the ball.  It shouldn't be that hard, should it?

Yes it is easy to do in practice because you can focus on it. Very difficult to replicate in game where you can’t be thinking about mechanics, so you tend to revert back to bad habits.

« Reply #282 on: October 03, 2019, 01:56:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My guess is since Romeo was a kid, on the playground and in organized practices and games, he has been putting up hundreds of shots every day for over a decade. A decade or more of muscle memory is extremely difficult to overcome in just a couple months.

« Reply #283 on: October 03, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Yes it is easy to do in practice because you can focus on it. Very difficult to replicate in game where you can’t be thinking about mechanics, so you tend to revert back to bad habits.
The recent video clips Carlin used were just in practice.  But again, Romeo has probably taken more shots in a week then I've taken in my life, so I'll defer to people with more playing experience.

« Reply #284 on: October 03, 2019, 05:05:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Don't put alot of faith in opinions ,   Young had a beautiful release and he could not hit a bull in the butt during a game.

if he can hit the shots , i don't care how he does it.  he can stand on his head for all I care. 

Beside nobody can out shoot % the Tacko Mania man !   

just put up points on the board thats all.