Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 91485 times)

Re: For those not very familiar with Romeo Langford...
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 01:34:14 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
His highlights look a lot like Jaylen

Jaylen is my favorite Celtic but he looks more skilled offensively than Jaylen.

I'd say he's more skilled offensively but less athletic. Not a knock, not many players are.

This. He looks to be able to get to the hole much easier and finish through contact, which is likely due to his more solid handle.

Also, people are sleeping on his defensive potential, too, as he has virtually the same measurements as Brown regarding reach and wingspan.

One big knock with him however is his off balls skills. Doesn't cut much/hard enough, and spot up jumper needs an overhaul. Overall I like the upside, seems like he could be a really good two way player. Seems to have some pick and roll potential as well, could devlop some play making.

Yeah, the more I watch him the less I like the Brown comparison. He's more fluid in his movements than Brown and his ballhandling looks >>> better.

Actually, he reminds me a lot of McCollum when you watch him, especially his setup of iso plays and his creation of space.

Eh, I think people sleep on browns handling a little. He has some advanced moves he can flash. Brown is also a little more filled out physically, but Langford's handle is better for sure. But maybe a better comparison is a shorter, faster Tatum. Then again Tatum's handle isnt great either, but he has a similar smoothness.

Also its not gonna help that Browns birthday is 10/24, and Langford's is 10/25.

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 01:49:24 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I'd say he's more skilled offensively but less athletic. Not a knock, not many players are.

This. He looks to be able to get to the hole much easier and finish through contact, which is likely due to his more solid handle.

Also, people are sleeping on his defensive potential, too, as he has virtually the same measurements as Brown regarding reach and wingspan.

One big knock with him however is his off balls skills. Doesn't cut much/hard enough, and spot up jumper needs an overhaul. Overall I like the upside, seems like he could be a really good two way player. Seems to have some pick and roll potential as well, could devlop some play making.

Yeah, the more I watch him the less I like the Brown comparison. He's more fluid in his movements than Brown and his ballhandling looks >>> better.

Actually, he reminds me a lot of McCollum when you watch him, especially his setup of iso plays and his creation of space.

Eh, I think people sleep on browns handling a little. He has some advanced moves he can flash. Brown is also a little more filled out physically, but Langford's handle is better for sure. But maybe a better comparison is a shorter, faster Tatum. Then again Tatum's handle isnt great either, but he has a similar smoothness.

The difference with Tatum is that I feel Tatum sometimes gets into "Kyrie mode' and tries to get too fancy and do too much with the dribble trying to break down the defender. This is something I hope doesn't develop into a long-time bad habit.

Langford seems to be somewhere in the middle between Brown and Tatum, in that he has the handle to maneuver well in traffic but also the quickness and athleticism to not have to break defenders down solely via the dribble. I think that's why he's someone that gets to the hole and the line much more easily and regularly than Tatum or Brown.

Where Tatum seems to excel over someone like Langford is his shot. Tatum's shot is so smooth and nearly flawless, and he functions well as a shooter both with the ball and as a spot-up shooter. Langford's shot - while not broken - is not nearly as smooth as Tatum's shot, and it seems to have some extra movement that creates unnecessary variability.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 01:50:03 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'm concerned about his lackadaisical effort on both ends. Let's see if he develops into a complimentary player. Everything that I hated about Kyrie is present in this guy. But he's much younger than Kyrie, so I'll give him chance to prove me wrong.

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 02:18:43 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

The difference with Tatum is that I feel Tatum sometimes gets into "Kyrie mode' and tries to get too fancy and do too much with the dribble trying to break down the defender. This is something I hope doesn't develop into a long-time bad habit.

Langford seems to be somewhere in the middle between Brown and Tatum, in that he has the handle to maneuver well in traffic but also the quickness and athleticism to not have to break defenders down solely via the dribble. I think that's why he's someone that gets to the hole and the line much more easily and regularly than Tatum or Brown.

Where Tatum seems to excel over someone like Langford is his shot. Tatum's shot is so smooth and nearly flawless, and he functions well as a shooter both with the ball and as a spot-up shooter. Langford's shot - while not broken - is not nearly as smooth as Tatum's shot, and it seems to have some extra movement that creates unnecessary variability.
it's ok. Tatum is training with kobe. Kobe will fix that.

Right?

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 02:40:53 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Langford feels like a mesh between Irving and Rozier and that's including some of the negatives of effort (Irving) and shooting (Rozier). At least he has decent SG size and doesn't need to pretend he is a PG the whole game. Felt it was a bad pick but maybe he improves his shooting.

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 02:43:17 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Brown, Langford and Tatum= BLT!

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 03:01:31 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Langford, Grant, Brown, Tatum = LGBT

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 03:43:20 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

lol

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 04:37:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Yea, sounds contemporary.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 05:35:19 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnZrEmorIw I think this is a nice breakdown of his strengths and his weaknesses. He seems to have a bunch of potential, and some of his advanced numbers are very encouraging. Hopefully the mental/effort side of him will continue to improve with time on an NBA team.

The weakness section was really concerning. Not a read and react player, poor passing vision/skills, spaces out on D, often fails to put up a fight.

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 05:57:40 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnZrEmorIw I think this is a nice breakdown of his strengths and his weaknesses. He seems to have a bunch of potential, and some of his advanced numbers are very encouraging. Hopefully the mental/effort side of him will continue to improve with time on an NBA team.

The weakness section was really concerning. Not a read and react player, poor passing vision/skills, spaces out on D, often fails to put up a fight.
The fact that the strengths section had a bunch of excuses didn't bode well. I actually thought, oh its all one discussion strength and weakness. Then the screen for weakness did popped up.

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 06:10:09 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

The fact that the strengths section had a bunch of excuses didn't bode well. I actually thought, oh its all one discussion strength and weakness. Then the screen for weakness did popped up.

Langford was a huge reach.

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 06:15:26 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

He isn't a reach for me. He's just not a fit. If last season taught us anything is that we need less ball dominate players and more catch and shoot guys. If we lose Brown in a trade drafting Langford at 14 would be a homerun.

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 06:30:36 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
lets say you have a second backcourt lineup with rubio langford hayward... not bad

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 06:53:16 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

He isn't a reach for me. He's just not a fit. If last season taught us anything is that we need less ball dominate players and more catch and shoot guys. If we lose Brown in a trade drafting Langford at 14 would be a homerun.

Well after this season I’ll know if DA is just a bad drafter or not. At this point I think he is a horrible drafter. I didn’t like any of his picks as I fell they didn’t fit what we already have and didn’t fill any of our needs. Unless Rozier is walking drafting 2 guards just don’t make sense to me. We have a gaping whole at center and have a plethora of Power Forwards and we draft an undersized PF? It was just a senseless draft to me and Langford doesn’t seem like he’s all that talented (to me). Just look like nothing more than an average player.