Author Topic: Collin Sexton is on fire (first rookie since Duncan in 98 to score like he has)  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
7 straight games of at least 23 points and shooting 56.5% from 3 (26 of 46) during the streak.  He is the first rookie since Tim Duncan to have 7 straight games of at least 23 points. 

Cavs also haven't been nearly as terrible of late and are 3-4 in those games, including wins over the Raptors and Bucks. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Perhaps the Celtics should've not made the trade for Kyrie?  :-\

How the Brooklyn pick could've been...

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
He's an absolutely horrible passer tho. For how undersized he is, along with how many midrange jumpers he take, I don't see his ceiling as any more than a spark plug off the bench of a good team.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I knew who the thread was by before I opened it lol. That being said I give your cavs credit for playing tough to close out the season. I know there hasn’t been much to talk about then this year.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
He's an absolutely horrible passer tho. For how undersized he is, along with how many midrange jumpers he take, I don't see his ceiling as any more than a spark plug off the bench of a good team.
his defense is a much larger concern than his passing though both can be overlooked if he can stay at or above 42% from 3 with his good ball handling skills.  He has been on a real tear since the all star break really upping his efficiency. Quite impressive as PG's do generally take more time for the game to slow down than it appears to have taken him.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I knew who the thread was by before I opened it lol. That being said I give your cavs credit for playing tough to close out the season. I know there hasn’t been much to talk about then this year.
I just happened to see in the paper that he had done something that hasn't been done since Duncan which really is quite the feat, especially when you consider how many HOFers have entered the league in that time and not done it.

As for the Cavs, Love has made a real difference for them. Shame he didn't make it back a few weeks earlier as if he had he probably is playing for a real contender like Denver, OKC, or Houston.  Would have really helped those teams potentially get over the hump
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:04:21 PM by Moranis »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Don't like his game in the slightest. Too selfish to play as a PG, too short to play as a SG. Basically he's an undersized scorer and a ball-stopper. Below average defender as well (to say the least).

Meh, not interested. Glad we didn't waste a pick on him.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:28:33 PM by Jvalin »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
23 such an odd number, but we all know why they'd go with that.  Of course it could have been a more even 25 had Sexton hit 1 more shot vs ORL. Wonder how this compares to others, I'll go with an even 20 though:

Looks like the Duncan streak ended at 7 only because they were the last 7 games of the regular season, added 1 more in his first playoff game.

Iverson did 11 games in a row over 20 (also to close out the season).   The first 2 were 22, the next 9 were all 27+, with a stretch of 5 games over 40 (and IIRC the last game of that 40 stretch was a 21 point loss where Iverson played 45 minutes and the other team pulled all their defense off so Iverson got an open 3 in the closing seconds to extend the streak another game).

Blake Griffin had a streak of 14 games over 20 (only 2 of which were below 23).

Tyreke Evans had a streak of 7 over 20 (3 of which were below 23).

Doesn't look like LeBron or Duran had more than 4 20-point games in a row, looks like Kyrie topped at 5.

Carmelo had 2 different stretches of 9 games over 20 (2 in the first stretch below 23, 4 in the second), also had a 7 game stretch.

Donovan Mitchell had a stretch of 10 games over 20, (4 of which were below 23).

Wilt had a stretch of 56 over 20, must have gotten injured 1 game where he scored only 5 in 9 minutes, then finished the season off with another 15 plus 5 more in the playoffs, all but 2 of those were 23+ lol.

Back to Sexton, this is the kind of stuff that always makes me salivate as a fan.  We know how it is here, we dig into the stats hoping to see any sort of positive trend.  Doesn't get much better than closing out the season averaging like 20+ppg (if he can keep this up for another 10 games).  Then you spend all summer thinking he turned the corner, can't wait to pair him with your newest rookie, only to end up with '19 Jayson Tatum.  Whomp whomp.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Big numbers on a bad team. (only joking ... sort of)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He’s played well against us. Will see him one more time.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Loves return helped his game a lot.
But evoking Duncans name next to Sextons, for the sake of a suspicious stat, appears inappropriate and misleading.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:19:47 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
23 such an odd number, but we all know why they'd go with that.  Of course it could have been a more even 25 had Sexton hit 1 more shot vs ORL. Wonder how this compares to others, I'll go with an even 20 though:

Looks like the Duncan streak ended at 7 only because they were the last 7 games of the regular season, added 1 more in his first playoff game.

Iverson did 11 games in a row over 20 (also to close out the season).   The first 2 were 22, the next 9 were all 27+, with a stretch of 5 games over 40 (and IIRC the last game of that 40 stretch was a 21 point loss where Iverson played 45 minutes and the other team pulled all their defense off so Iverson got an open 3 in the closing seconds to extend the streak another game).

Blake Griffin had a streak of 14 games over 20 (only 2 of which were below 23).

Tyreke Evans had a streak of 7 over 20 (3 of which were below 23).

Doesn't look like LeBron or Duran had more than 4 20-point games in a row, looks like Kyrie topped at 5.

Carmelo had 2 different stretches of 9 games over 20 (2 in the first stretch below 23, 4 in the second), also had a 7 game stretch.

Donovan Mitchell had a stretch of 10 games over 20, (4 of which were below 23).

Wilt had a stretch of 56 over 20, must have gotten injured 1 game where he scored only 5 in 9 minutes, then finished the season off with another 15 plus 5 more in the playoffs, all but 2 of those were 23+ lol.

Back to Sexton, this is the kind of stuff that always makes me salivate as a fan.  We know how it is here, we dig into the stats hoping to see any sort of positive trend.  Doesn't get much better than closing out the season averaging like 20+ppg (if he can keep this up for another 10 games).  Then you spend all summer thinking he turned the corner, can't wait to pair him with your newest rookie, only to end up with '19 Jayson Tatum.  Whomp whomp.
Oh there are certainly more things more impressive than 7 straight games of at least 23 points, but 23 was obviously chosen because that was Sexton's low point game during the streak.  If his low game was 22, it would have been 22, if his low game was 24, it would have been 24, etc. 

Even still, to do something that hasn't been done since Duncan is impressive. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Loves return helped his game a lot.
But evoking Duncans name next to Sextons, for the sake of a suspicious stat, appears inappropriate and misleading.
I'm confused, what is suspicious about it.  Sexton has scored at least 23 points for 7 straight games.  The last rookie to do that was Tim Duncan.  That is a fact, is not misleading, and thus can't really be inappropriate.  The truth is what it is. 

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
His streak ended at 7 as he "only" scored 20 in the Cavs close loss to the Clippers.