Author Topic: Is Ainge Talking to Max Contract Guys?  (Read 6848 times)

Is Ainge Talking to Max Contract Guys?
« on: July 01, 2010, 09:51:45 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Sure he is negotiating with Pierce and Allen, I think this is a given, but in the meantime is he speaking with the max contract guys? 

I mean if he gets a verbal agreement with (Completely for Arguments sake) Dwayne Wade, to come and play her shouldnt he just say goodbye to Pierce and Ray?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 09:58:43 AM by Rondo2287 »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Is Ainge Talking to Max Contract Guys?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Wouldn't hurt to at least try. But I'd try to keep it hush hush if I was him to not burn the Pierce/Allen bridges.

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:06:36 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
He is absolutely talking to their agents. The Cs are 15mil under the cap today if they just keep sheed's deal. So you can bet he's kicking tires to see who wants to play with rondo....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:26:40 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He is absolutely talking to their agents. The Cs are 15mil under the cap today if they just keep sheed's deal. So you can bet he's kicking tires to see who wants to play with rondo....

Incorrect, with Ray's and Paul's cap holds alone ($20m each), we're well over cap.

The only way we get that cap space, is if we renounce our rights to them and TA.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Incorrect, with Ray's and Paul's cap holds alone ($20m each), we're well over cap.

The only way we get that cap space, is if we renounce our rights to them and TA.

Dang.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 10:38:02 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

....which Ainge could do at any time assuming there was interest from a player he prefers. It's a formality. Not incorrect.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:38:46 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

That's a technicality.  They could renounce them anytime they want (and they could actually unrenounce them if they wanted to as well).

In essence, the C's are 15 million under the cap right now.  But it doesn't matter, because that is not enough to sign a max guy, let alone fill a roster around them.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:44:57 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
He can talk to them all he wants, I dont think we have a chance to nab any of them. No cap space, no trade bait = no max free agents.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:48:33 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
He can talk to them all he wants, I dont think we have a chance to nab any of them. No cap space, no trade bait = no max free agents.

Again -- not right. Paul Pierce just opted out of his contract. There are no guarantees he re-signs. If we don't keep him or Ray we have ample cap room. Ainge has a right and obligation to canvas the market for potential upgrades.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
No cap space, no trade bait = no max free agents.

I think we do have trade bait when you consider Rondo's age and fairly generous contract. Last season it was reported that he tried to deal him with RA for Rip, Stuckey, and Hamilton, so why wouldn't he include him in a deal in order to get a LeBron or Wade? Ainge isn't the type that's scared to make a major move.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

That's a technicality.  They could renounce them anytime they want (and they could actually unrenounce them if they wanted to as well).

In essence, the C's are 15 million under the cap right now.  But it doesn't matter, because that is not enough to sign a max guy, let alone fill a roster around them.
Well if they did this, they would still have the MLE, which I believe can be split up and the excemption that allows them to fill their team to 12 players with the vet minimum (which the knicks or nets will probably use)

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:02:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Well if they did this, they would still have the MLE, which I believe can be split up and the excemption that allows them to fill their team to 12 players with the vet minimum (which the knicks or nets will probably use)

No, we wouldn't.  You get cap space, or the MLE, not both.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 11:03:11 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I hope not.
He'd be wasting his time, which is valuable, and better spent elsewhere, like on PP and RA, and on (realistic) MLE targets, like the Millers, JJ Reddick, etc.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 11:04:22 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I hope not.
He'd be wasting his time, which is valuable, and better spent elsewhere, like on PP and RA, and on (realistic) MLE targets, like the Millers, JJ Reddick, etc.

I think Danny can walk and chew gum at the same time....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I hope not.

I think Danny can walk and chew gum at the same time....

I'm sure he can, but this is a little more than that.
Celtics fan for life.