Author Topic: If we are going to lose Ray... might as well trade him for Eddie Curry  (Read 9879 times)

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If losing Ray is inevitable... we might as well sign-and-trade him to New York for Eddie Curry and maybe get NY to throw us a future protected 1st rounder or something.

Why?

Because Eddie Curry only has a year left on his deal... and we might be able to flip his 11.2 million deal at the trade deadline for replacement talent.  If you're going to lose Ray anyways... might as well get a contract out of it.

Then New York brings in Ray... and by removing Curry they can target two more max contracts.

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
If losing Ray is inevitable... we might as well sign-and-trade him to New York for Eddie Curry and maybe get NY to throw us a future protected 1st rounder or something.

Why?

Because Eddie Curry only has a year left on his deal... and we might be able to flip his 11.2 million deal at the trade deadline for replacement talent.  If you're going to lose Ray anyways... might as well get a contract out of it.

Then New York brings in Ray... and by removing Curry they can target two more max contracts.
Thinking of Eddie Curry in Green & White for even one second makes my stomach turn.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
if NY wants to sell a guy like Bron on coming to the Knicks... I'm not sure they can sell the idea "hey at the deadline we might be able to flip Eddie Curry for some help".  But they could probably sell the idea "Hey we already have Gallinari and Ray in place... two excellent shooters... and we can also bring in Amare, Bosh or Boozer"

Waiting until the deadline isn't a luxury the Knicks have.  But if the Celtics are going to lose Ray to Chicago/NY anyways... they might want to take their chances on seeing what they can get in February for Eddie Curry's expiring contract.  

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Why?

Thinking of Eddie Curry in Green & White for even one second makes my stomach turn.

You're assuming he'd ever actually suit up.  And Perk's not playing until mid-season anyways (i don't buy the December/Jan optimism... he probably will not play at all next year)... we need some bigs regardless. 

Offline rkls134

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I was going to bash this idea, but after thinking for minute you might be able to flip his 11mil for an Okafur or Biedrins or Al Jefferson, but then again, probably not, for various reasons.

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

Why?

I'm not sure why the C's wouldn't just let ray walk rather than trade for that lazy turd?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Not long ago Curry and Chandler were hailed as being the next Parish and McHale...

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I was going to bash this idea, but after thinking for minute you might be able to flip his 11mil for an Okafur or Biedrins or Al Jefferson, but then again, probably not, for various reasons.

But Celtics can do that with Sheed trade, and they can keep Ray @ reasonable amount. I really want Celtics to trade with GSW & get some young talent back. Biedrins/Randolph or Monta/Randolph.

That would amazing for our bench. In case you haven't noticed, I'm really high on Randolph. He's really immature, but very talented. Warriors are selling the team & dumping salary.

Back to the topic, Why help NYK? Let them use up their cap. And we keep Ray.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Why?

I'm not sure why the C's wouldn't just let ray walk rather than trade for that lazy turd?

Umm because then the CEltics are left with nothing.   If you send him to NY for a sign-and-trade, you pick up Eddie Curry's expiring contract... which at the deadline could theoretically land you an overpaid player on a team desperate to dump him (Iguodala, Monta Ellis... Gilbert Arenas)

It's an asset.    Boston is going in the toilet anyways... lets be honest with ourselves.  Either Chicago, NY or Miami owns the next decade... and we can't beat the Lakers regardless.  

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Not long ago Curry and Chandler were hailed as being the next Parish and McHale...

And then they played an NBA game together

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Why?

I agree, If Ray walks, I'd rather have Curry's expring deal than nothing.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Why?

Umm because then the CEltics are left with nothing.   If you send him to NY for a sign-and-trade, you pick up Eddie Curry's expiring contract... which at the deadline could theoretically land you an overpaid player on a team desperate to dump him (Iguodala, Monta Ellis... Gilbert Arenas)

It's an asset.    Boston is going in the toilet anyways... lets be honest with ourselves.  Either Chicago, NY or Miami owns the next decade... and we can't beat the Lakers regardless.  

I think Wyc would argue that the right to pay Eddie Curry's buffet bills is not really an asset, compared to just letting Ray walk.

Now, if the Knicks were also throwing in someone like Wilson Chandler, then perhaps it could be worth it.  But this is not monopoly money we are talking about here.  They are not going to pay a guy $11 million just for the chance that they MIGHT be able to trade him at the deadline.

And lets remember, 90% of the deals that would be available at the deadline for an expiring contract will just be taking on another teams bad contracts.  You need real assets, along with the expiring contracts, to get good players.  

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

Why?

YES!!!!!! More overpaid players! That's what we need! Screw 2 more years on KG's contract... we need four more years of bad contracts!

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I'd rather lose Ray AND Paul, than lose Ray and get Eddy Curry.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Why?

Because Eddie Curry only has a year left on his deal... and we might be able to flip his 11.2 million deal at the trade deadline for replacement talent.  If you're going to lose Ray anyways... might as well get a contract out of it.

I think Wyc would argue that the right to pay Eddie Curry's buffet bills is not really an asset, compared to just letting Ray walk.

Now, if the Knicks were also throwing in someone like Wilson Chandler, then perhaps it could be worth it.  But this is not monopoly money we are talking about here.  They are not going to pay a guy $11 million just for the chance that they MIGHT be able to trade him at the deadline.

And lets remember, 90% of the deals that would be available at the deadline for an expiring contract will just be taking on another teams bad contracts.  You need real assets, along with the expiring contracts, to get good players.  

I disagree, if you’re going to compete in this league you have to be willing to make savvy, unorthodox moves such as this to compete. Who knows what will be available this upcoming deadline or what type of assets the C's will have after a 1/2 season of basketball? At the least, we'll be in position to reap the benefits if a team decides to unload. What did Washington get for Butler? Jamison? Think Gasol, Garnett, and Maggette.

Every year teams are willing to give up talent for financial help and this year will be no different.