Author Topic: What is the most you would offer Paul to stay?  (Read 9315 times)

Re: What is the most you would offer Paul to stay?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2010, 10:54:15 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
32-year-old Manu Ginobelli got a 3-year, $39 million extension.  I think Pierce is worth 4 years at $60-65 million, and I might even be willing to go past that.

I would rather sign Pierce to a four-year deal than a two-year deal.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
32-year-old Manu Ginobelli got a 3-year, $39 million extension.  I think Pierce is worth 4 years at $60-65 million, and I might even be willing to go past that.

Why would you rather sign Pierce to 4 years instead of 2?  Do you like the idea of a 36-yr old Pierce making $15 million and running the floor with Rondo?

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Why would you rather sign Pierce to 4 years instead of 2?  Do you like the idea of a 36-yr old Pierce making $15 million and running the floor with Rondo?

I've got a long post that I plan on putting up this afternoon on explaining what I think should be done.  It's long enough that I only wrote half of it last night and need to work on it later.  But I'm basically not a fan of the strategy of trying to clear a ton of cap space for 2012.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I'd give him a 50 million over four years. And I think that is generous.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 11:04:48 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I've got a long post that I plan on putting up this afternoon on explaining what I think should be done.  It's long enough that I only wrote half of it last night and need to work on it later.  But I'm basically not a fan of the strategy of trying to clear a ton of cap space for 2012.

To me, its not about clearing cap space, it is about not having players being paid much more than they are worth on a rebuilding team.

By 2012, I expect the window to have slammed shut.  I also do not anticipate Pierce being anything close to a $15 million per dollar player at that point.  

Cap space is certainly not a cure all, but it makes it a whole lot easier to make changes to a team when you don't have contracts like that on the books.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »

Offline Ed Teach

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 8
It is strange to me how so many people believe we need to blow the team up or it will become the 90s all over again.  I look at teams like the Spurs, they also have an aging core.  They have been rebuilding the last 2 years as Tim Ducan has been aging.  With the exception of the Richard Jefferson failure they have been pretty sucessful, going into the playoffs some people picked them as the only threat to the Lakers. Once Ducan's contract expires they will have the oportuinity to make their next run.  They have collected some good young assets and I see no reason why they will suddenly stink.  I also see no reason that the Celtics can't rebuild without completly blowing up the team that just made the championship game.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 11:12:35 AM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
3 years 40 million

2010-11- 15 mill
2011-12- 13 mill
2012-13- 12 mill

That's it. If he wants to walk and Ray leaves, we have 15 mill under the cap, plus Sheed's expiring. Go for Joe Johnson to take his spot or wait for next year and go for Mello or Durant.

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
3 years, 40$ million. And being reluctant to offer him a third year, but doing so for his loyalty.

I'd say that's about right Drucci.  I'd offer him that.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think anything more than 3 years, 30 million is being irresponsible. People talk a lot about loyalty on the Celtics' part and how they should 'take care of him'...but that's hooey in my opinion. So just because we all love PP we should allow him to be an albatross around our necks for the next 4 years?

What about Pierce himself giving the organization a break? Where is our 'hometown discount'?

Paul Pierce has already been 'taken care of', to the tune of 100 million dollars plus in wages over his career. He needs to make what he earns on the court, not in 2008, but this upcoming season.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

It think Manu's extension is about what Pierce is worth, probably 5-8 million more in dollars but no more in years.

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 11:24:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think anything more than 3 years, 30 million is being irresponsible. People talk a lot about loyalty on the Celtics' part and how they should 'take care of him'...but that's hooey in my opinion. So just because we all love PP we should allow him to be an albatross around our necks for the next 4 years?

What about Pierce himself giving the organization a break? Where is our 'hometown discount'?

Paul Pierce has already been 'taken care of', to the tune of 100 million dollars plus in wages over his career. He needs to make what he earns on the court, not in 2008, but this upcoming season.
He just gave up 21 million.

He's not going to basically sign a two year 4.5 million extension in his mind. I think 3 years 50 million is probably as high as the C's can go responsibly. But that's 5-10 million higher than you'd want.

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 11:29:50 AM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
pierce isn't getting a huge contract from anyone. good deal, sure, but not one of these 4/90 offers. in terms of the ginobli comparison, manu doesn't have pierce's mileage...pierce has taken a lot of physical contact over the years, and has played major minutes in the nba for longer than ginobli. he's better right now, sure, but i don't know that anyone would offer him a lot more than what manu got. not that any of this is surprising...i suspect danny and paul basically discussed everything already. my guess is we offer him an extension that doesn't cripple us financially, or if he gets a huge offer from somebody else, we agree to renounce his rights and he gets paid. can't be mad at paul for that. just like the posey situation.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
4 years, $60 million.  That should assure he retires in Boston.  He should get 4 years.  No way he's done playing in 3 years, unless he gets hurt.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 11:32:08 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I like what SCBirdman suggested:

2010-11: 15mil
2011-12: 13mil
2012-13: 12mil

Then move him into the Celtics Front Office.

According to ESPN (at least), Paul is seriously considering exploring other options, too..I just pray that both he and Ainge can come to some agreement that would be good for both him and the Celtics.

I think Paul is still an Elite Player.

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 11:34:44 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
2 years/ $38 million

I totally agree with this...  And Paul won't, which is why I believe he will leave.

I'm curious Andy, do you want him to leave? Kind of an unfair question that will almost be answered with "it depends" but nonetheless...

If he wants anything more than two years, and has demands that hurt the "financial flexibility of this team" (as quoted from the homepage), then yes, I want him to go.  Turning around NBA franchises is very hard...one guy isn't worth it, especially a guy his age. 

I don't want this franchise to crash and burn...it's too painful to watch.  If Paul's demands are too much (and I believe they will be) we can find someone to pair up with KG, Rondo and a solid MLE acquisition...possibly a sign-and-trade for Ray (or Ray back).

But I would never kill the Celtics future for one guy...and I don't blame Paul for wanting what's his, but he's not worth it.

That doesn't make me giddy, it's just the cold/hard truth of professional sports.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."