Author Topic: Who do you tip, how much do you tip?  (Read 10375 times)

Re: Who do you tip, how much do you tip?
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I don't tip.  I'm very giving when I see a homeless person but to tip someone who has a job is insane to me.  If you don't like your job or if your job does not pay well, get a another job.  To expect extra for a service I'd already pay for is stupid.  How did tipping even became a "thing?"  It's retarded.

Do you live in the US?  If you do, you're either ignorant or a jerk.  Tips are wages.  Without tips, nearly every server in this country would be making minimum wage.  Tips are paying for the service.  Whether it should be is a completely different story, but don't punish the person working hard because you don't like the system.  If you don't want to tip, just don't go to restaurants or bars at all.

Tips are wages?  What in the world?  So you WILLINGLY sign up for a job where tips is your source of income?  Lol.  You see how f'ing stupid that is?  Tips supposed to be extra depending on degree of service and it shouldn't be forced or expected.  I'm saying that it is stupid because there are many minimum wage jobs where people don't tip the employees.  To single out waiting jobs or bartenders as people who should get tips is ridiculous.  Do you think about tipping Pedro when he's cutting the lawns?  Do you tip that aid that is looking after your mentally demented grandma at the old people homes whenever you go visit?  Cry me a river for godsakes.  I go to bars and restaurants and pay the stated price.  It's not like i rob the place.  To expect extra on top of that is stupid. 

You don't like your job or if it doesn't pay enough, get another job, bum.  If enough people quit or if these places are understaff enough to where they're losing money, that may actually force them to raise the pay.  But no...people don't think and they are too cowardly to make a collective move.  Instead they willingly sign up for these ****ty jobs, and when they are unhappy with their pay, they look to guys like me to give them exra on top of what i'm already paying for, and if i refuse i'm looked at as an a**hole  There are many social practices that makes no [dang] sense and tipping is one of 'em.  Nobody tips me at my job, why should i tip anyone on theirs?

And yes, i live in the good ol' USA.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:40:47 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2016, 06:38:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't tip.  I'm very giving when I see a homeless person but to tip someone who has a job is insane to me.  If you don't like your job or if your job does not pay well, get a another job.  To expect extra for a service I'd already pay for is stupid.  How did tipping even became a "thing?"  It's retarded.

Do you live in the US?  If you do, you're either ignorant or a jerk.  Tips are wages.  Without tips, nearly every server in this country would be making minimum wage.  Tips are paying for the service.  Whether it should be is a completely different story, but don't punish the person working hard because you don't like the system.  If you don't want to tip, just don't go to restaurants or bars at all.

I hope you have the decency to tell your server when s/he first approaches you of your no-tipping policy so that you can actually get the service you pay for.
Here in Seattle, they are pushing the minimum wage to $15 per hour and there's a bunch of restaurants that have done away with tipping as a result.  Instead, most charge a standard 20% "service charge" or alternatively they just raised their prices and refuse tips.  There's been some drawbacks to it and I think at least a couple have returned to tipping as they found that they were having trouble keeping staff. 

Interesting comments from CLench123 about refusing to tip, but giving to a homeless person.  Seattle is littered with homeless people and they are mostly a nuisance pestering people on the streets.  I never give to them - perhaps that makes me a terrible and ignorant person, but there's a lot of shelters and programs set up for them here that they could certainty utilize, and while I understand mental illness adds another layer to this, the vast majority of the homeless people we see out here asking for money just want it for drugs or alcohol.   I remember going to a Grocery store with my buddy when we were both around 19.  Some homeless guy was out there begging for spare change.   I avoided the guy and went about my business, but my buddy insisted on going into the store and buying some bread, some canned food and a can opener for the guy.   He bought a bag's worth of groceries and tried handing it to the homeless guy... the guy just snapped, "The hell do I want that for!?".   I'm not saying being charitable is bad, I'm just saying that personally I'd far more rather give to an actual charitable organization than some junky on the street. 

And Clench, yeah... I'm pretty sure a lot of people tip for lawn service.

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2016, 07:00:01 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

I hope you have the decency to tell your server when s/he first approaches you of your no-tipping policy so that you can actually get the service you pay for.
Here in Seattle, they are pushing the minimum wage to $15 per hour and there's a bunch of restaurants that have done away with tipping as a result.  Instead, most charge a standard 20% "service charge" or alternatively they just raised their prices and refuse tips.  There's been some drawbacks to it and I think at least a couple have returned to tipping as they found that they were having trouble keeping staff. 

Interesting comments from CLench123 about refusing to tip, but giving to a homeless person.  Seattle is littered with homeless people and they are mostly a nuisance pestering people on the streets.  I never give to them - perhaps that makes me a terrible and ignorant person, but there's a lot of shelters and programs set up for them here that they could certainty utilize, and while I understand mental illness adds another layer to this, the vast majority of the homeless people we see out here asking for money just want it for drugs or alcohol.   I remember going to a Grocery store with my buddy when we were both around 19.  Some homeless guy was out there begging for spare change.   I avoided the guy and went about my business, but my buddy insisted on going into the store and buying some bread, some canned food and a can opener for the guy.   He bought a bag's worth of groceries and tried handing it to the homeless guy... the guy just snapped, "The hell do I want that for!?".   I'm not saying being charitable is bad, I'm just saying that personally I'd far more rather give to an actual charitable organization than some junky on the street. 

And Clench, yeah... I'm pretty sure a lot of people tip for lawn service.

C'mon, you know what I meant.

Your friend, and people like him, are a**holes.  Without paying attention it's easy to conclude an act like that as nothing but pure altruism but when you look at it carefully you'd see the narcissism and condescension that it is.  The homeless guy is asking for money, not food.  Your friend's assumption that he must be hungry or that he wants bread and all the other sh!t he bought is birthed from the stereotype that all an homeless person would only use the money given him on is alcohol and drugs, so why not make the decision for him and set him on the straight and narrow by buying him food instead.  If I was that homeless guy, I would react the same way.  You didn't encounter the homeless guy on your way out of the store in the parking lot after you had spent all the money you had and food is all you can offer the guy, you encountered him on your way into the store, meaning your friend purposely go into the store (without even asking what the guy like) to buy him all kinds of stuff he might not have wanted.  It's degrading. 

Now that I've addressed that, SO WHAT IF HOMELESS PERSON WANTS TO USE THE MONEY TO BUY BEER OR DRUGS?  So what?  Is that such a terrible thing?  If you are in those shoes, wouldn't you want to drink?  The arrogance and narcissism of people who condemn homeless people for using the money given them for alcohol and drugs. These are the same people who work all week just to get drunk and wasted on weekends so as to buy themselves a new reality and forget what life is like, even for just a moment. But they like to condescend and dictate to a homeless person who is at the pit of hell, who need the drink the most so as to escape, to forget, to not have to feel the fire, to die for a while to a burning hell. If anything they most deserve the pleasure. The pleasure of not knowing, for a little while, how blindly dark the room is.  Hell, I'd buy him a drink if that's what he want.

Tipping?  Forget it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:17:12 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm pretty sure your not supposed to enable a homeless person's alcohol or drug use as that is likely one of the reasons they are homeless in the first place. And I agree with LB - there are a lot of fanastic charitable organizations that are there to get people back on their feet and even help with finding work.

As for not tipping, servers often make much less than minimum wage. While I agree that tipping can be confusing and I would rather the amount be accounted for in the price of my food, it is still necessary to tip - regardless of how crappy you think their career choice is.

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2016, 07:44:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Tips are wages?  What in the world?  So you WILLINGLY sign up for a job where tips is your source of income?  Lol.  You see how f'ing stupid that is?  Tips supposed to be extra depending on degree of service and it shouldn't be forced or expected.  I'm saying that it is stupid because there are many minimum wage jobs where people don't tip the employees.  To single out waiting jobs or bartenders as people who should get tips is ridiculous.  Do you think about tipping Pedro when he's cutting the lawns?  Do you tip that aid that is looking after your mentally demented grandma at the old people homes whenever you go visit?  Cry me a river for godsakes.  I go to bars and restaurants and pay the stated price.  It's not like i rob the place.  To expect extra on top of that is stupid. 

You don't like your job or if it doesn't pay enough, get another job, bum.  If enough people quit or if these places are understaff enough to where they're losing money, that may actually force them to raise the pay.  But no...people don't think and they are too cowardly to make a collective move.  Instead they willingly sign up for these ****ty jobs, and when they are unhappy with their pay, they look to guys like me to give them exra on top of what i'm already paying for, and if i refuse i'm looked at as an a**hole  There are many social practices that makes no [dang] sense and tipping is one of 'em.  Nobody tips me at my job, why should i tip anyone on theirs?

Gee, you sound like a really nice guy.

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2016, 08:58:18 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

Gee, you sound like a really nice guy.

Gee, thanks.  I try 😊

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2016, 09:14:39 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I would link to the Mr Pink tipping scene if Clench123 hadn't said, 'Tipping? It's for the birds'

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner