Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 182140 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #300 on: May 16, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom was awesome....very inspirational and although it deals with heaven and the afterlife, it had little to do with religion if anything.

« Reply #301 on: May 16, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
"The Big Short" by Michael Lewis is a very clear explanation of how the financial markets collapsed due to deregulation - unregulated personal and corporate greed.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #302 on: May 17, 2010, 01:20:26 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
My wife grabbed me a copy of this about a month or so ago.  I really didn't think much going into it, but I must admit I ended up really enjoying it.

« Reply #303 on: May 17, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My wife grabbed me a copy of this about a month or so ago.  I really didn't think much going into it, but I must admit I ended up really enjoying it.

I am really interested in this book. Maybe a little more info?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #304 on: May 17, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Talks about his life story.  Anyone who's seen the movie "Beer League" or "Dirty Work" and liked it will like this book.  Also if you are a fan of Howard, which I'm not.. you'll probably like it.

« Reply #305 on: May 17, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108

I am really interested in this book. Maybe a little more info?

I apologize for not providing much…hope this helps

It begins with an individual coming into possession of Lincoln’s long lost diary, someone who is asked to write the true biography of one of America’s greatest Presidents.

It tells the story of Lincoln’s life, one where he draws all his drive from the discovery that Vampires were the cause of his mother’s death.   His hatred and drive for vengeance leads him to an unlikely alliance, one that brings him to become one of the greatest vampire hunters that has ever lived preparing for a war the America’s survival depends on . 

One little comment to add: apparently Tim Burton has signed on to make a movie adaption.

Here is a video that was put out for the release of the book.

"http://www.youtube.com/v/X58RPS665V0&hl=en_US&fs=1&

« Reply #306 on: July 02, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Surviving Schitzophrenia.

It's very good

« Reply #307 on: July 02, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Scalzi's Old Man's War trilogy.

« Reply #308 on: July 02, 2010, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm reading Cardboard Gods.  Written by a guy born the same year as me, who collected all of the same cards I did. He had a very odd childhood, the story of which he intersperses with his connection with (and escape to) his baseball card collection.  An excellent book so far.  I'd highly recommend - especially if you were born in the late 6o's or early 70's and collected cards.
Yup

« Reply #309 on: July 02, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
"A short history of nearly everything" - Bryson - good survey non-fiction, what the title says

"Guns, Germs, Steel" - Diamond - not so much how the west was won, but why the west was won. Dispels a lot of common myths.

All of Stephen King's Gunslinger series, except last half of the last book.

Read this one back in 1991 or so "Wizard War" - cool fantasy novel, but cannot find a trace of it on the internet *sigh*. Had dudes vanishing into bottles with magic rings a host of other stuff.

« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
"The Revolution: A Minifesto" or "End The Fed" by Ron Paul.

« Reply #311 on: July 02, 2010, 04:08:16 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
"A short history of nearly everything" - Bryson - good survey non-fiction, what the title says

Reading that one too. I've read several of his books and really enjoy his style.  It's a daunting task to take a layman's approach to the history of the Universe but I think he does it nicely. I particularly enjoy his colorful descriptions of the scientists (the ones who slipped through the cracks, and the ones who made sure they stayed there!). 
Yup

« Reply #312 on: July 26, 2010, 01:54:05 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

"Guns, Germs, Steel" - Diamond - not so much how the west was won, but why the west was won. Dispels a lot of common myths.

All of Stephen King's Gunslinger series, except last half of the last book.

Read this one back in 1991 or so "Wizard War" - cool fantasy novel, but cannot find a trace of it on the internet *sigh*. Had dudes vanishing into bottles with magic rings a host of other stuff.

My ex really really liked guns germs and steel.  She says she learned a ton from it and urged me strongly to give it a read, but I'm just not that big of a reader. 
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2010, 02:08:33 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I enjoyed both of those books and would strongly recommend both.

« Reply #314 on: July 26, 2010, 02:51:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I enjoyed both of those books and would strongly recommend both.

A Short History Of Nearly Everything is an amazing driving book (as in a book to listen to..I don't recommend reading while driving).

It made me feel like I used to when I was a kid and you would randomly open a textbook from the year ahead of you in grade school and see a giant picture of a star or a human heart or something you'd never seen before. I don't know if that makes sense but I'd say its a solid representation.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner