Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 182262 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #270 on: January 04, 2010, 10:13:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
And as fate would have it, the 5th book of the series is due out 1/19.  I hadn't even checked on this on in a long time!

http://www.amazon.com/Burning-Land-Novel-Bernard-Cornwell/dp/0060888741/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262660230&sr=8-10

Ah, the gods smile upon us indeed! It will not be long now until Uhtred takes the walls of Bebbanburgh!

My problem is going to be remembering half the characters and the history and what not.  I started confusing Uhtred with Thomas from the Grail Quest series.
Yup

« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
My dogs just started going completely bananas to signal the arrival of the UPS truck.

Burning Land hath arriveth!

UHTRED IN DA HOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE  ;D
Yup

« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2010, 04:43:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
A little disappointed with the Burning Land.  It was nice to get back in touch with Uhtred and all, but the plot had a lot less going on than the last few of this series. 

On the bright it made me finally pick up the copy of Agincourt I'd been given a year ago, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I still am just biding time until George Martin finishes up the 5th book of the Song of Ice and Fire series.  Come on George!
Yup

« Reply #273 on: March 08, 2010, 06:03:43 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I'm not gonna read this whole thread to see if this has already been posted, but The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons is fantastic!  And I am not all that big of a fan of his work to begin with.  I think he's a great writer, but I just don't agree with a lot of what he says.

But I absolutely LOVED this book and highly recommend it to any basketball fan (which im pretty sure every single person on this website is).
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #274 on: March 08, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
"Liberty and Tyranny" buy Mark Levin. Good book. Read it.

Also "Muslim Mafia" will make your head spin.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #275 on: March 08, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I'm not gonna read this whole thread to see if this has already been posted, but The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons is fantastic!  And I am not all that big of a fan of his work to begin with.  I think he's a great writer, but I just don't agree with a lot of what he says.

But I absolutely LOVED this book and highly recommend it to any basketball fan (which im pretty sure every single person on this website is).

co-sign, great book.  such a good book for discussion

« Reply #276 on: March 08, 2010, 07:44:10 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

co-sign, great book.  such a good book for discussion

love the book, love the pyramid, best birthday present I can remember getting from my brother in a long time
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #277 on: March 08, 2010, 07:49:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A little disappointed with the Burning Land.  It was nice to get back in touch with Uhtred and all, but the plot had a lot less going on than the last few of this series. 

On the bright it made me finally pick up the copy of Agincourt I'd been given a year ago, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I still am just biding time until George Martin finishes up the 5th book of the Song of Ice and Fire series.  Come on George!
Agreed about buring land.

I loved the book before it, but this wasn't nearly as good.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #278 on: March 08, 2010, 08:02:20 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

Have you read Agincourt?
Yup

« Reply #279 on: March 10, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I am currently reading "The Monster of Florence" by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi. I am a bit of a true crime buff but will not sink my teeth into just anything, so to speak :-)

« Reply #280 on: March 10, 2010, 03:35:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Have you read Agincourt?

No sir.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #281 on: March 12, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I just finished "When the Game Was Ours" and enjoyed it.  Now I am reading "Angela's Ashes" which I had somehow missed when it came out a few years ago...so far very sad, but well written and interesting.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #282 on: March 12, 2010, 11:58:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm reading the Two Towers in the Lord of the Rings thing.

I'd say that in the movies that one might be the worst, but in the books it might be best. Tough to say

« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I am Not a Serial Killer by Dan Wells... first of the John Cleaver series, the second book Mr. Monster is already available in the UK, out in the US in September.

Seriously, you guys need to give this book a look, it's excellent in my opinion. Fans of the TV show Dexter should certainly give it a go. It's a first person narrative from a 15 year-old sociopath who is obsessed with serial killers as he struggles to control himself to not become one. Through all this a real serial killer visits his small town, which to him is like your favorite rock band having a concert in town. So, he goes out find out more about what is going on, and since his family are morticians, he has access to the dead bodies when they're released to them. Well through all this his "monster" gets harder to control, etc. etc.

Anyways, a very good read about a very creepy kid. The main character is great, and he does a good job making you sympathize with him even with all that he does and thinks about doing. The novel has a bit of the supernatural though, so fair warning there.

« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:50 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
"Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card ... awesome science fiction novel. I have read literally hundreds of sci-fi novels, and this is one of my top three picks of all time.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *