Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 182207 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2009, 02:10:36 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
You've been awarded a Tommy Point Bud, thanks.

Whoever suggested the book "The Lies of Locke Lamora" deserves one too.  I've only read about 150 pages but very interesting so far...

I believe that was crownsy, since I read it because of his recommendation too. I had a bit of trouble in the beginning... I actually stopped reading it. But then I gave it a second chance and ended absolutely loving it. At around 300 pages in it gets real good.

You started reading it at a good time, since the 3rd book, Republic of Thieves, is finally getting some progress. The author recently released the prologue to appease fans who have been waiting for it for quite a bit after delays and delays.

Anyways, quite an enjoyable series and quite brutal at times, and funny.

He's given himself quite a challenge for republic of thieves in Sabetha. Clearly her and Locke will be at odd's to start, but She's been  hyped up as a super thief and pretty much the female version of locke, so he'll have to balance her being the antagonist with an eventual turn back Good that the readers don't hate.

We'll see, should be a good book.

I'm not sure that she'll turn back to be good (nor do I think she'll turn out to be bad in the first place, just in an opposite side to Locke). I'm certain that she'll end up comperating with Locke eventually, but I just don't think that Lynch is interested in Locke and her getting together. I just hope she doesn't get killed, she sounds like she could be an interesting character to have. And let's be honest, the series is missing a main female character.

Don't want to spoil much for the reader that is currently reading the first book, but I imagine there'll be a lot of resentment from what went on in that book... and I wouldn't be surprised if Locke finds himself in a similar frame of mind as he was early in book 2. Don't want to discuss the details here.

« Reply #226 on: September 21, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
http://www.hulu.com/the-dresden-files

Its the Firefly of the Sci Fi network. There is a whole groundswell movement. Pretty cool, like Dashel Hammit meets Harry Potter.

[dang]it man, now you put me in the mood for some Dresden. Already ordered some books, should start reading them within a couple of weeks. The more I read reviews about it, the more I get the sense that this will be a cool series to read. I especially like that most reviews claim that the series gets better by the book.

Let me know, I have "Wizard's Rule" packed away on a shelf so I still need something to read.

Read the first 3 books of the Dresden Files. Really loving the series so far, I'll give you the go ahead.

« Reply #227 on: September 21, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
will do, when the doldrums of winter start setting in, I'm gonna get to them.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #228 on: September 21, 2009, 10:40:02 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
will do, when the doldrums of winter start setting in, I'm gonna get to them.
http://www.bookdepository.com/ has some good prices at the moment with most of them. 50% off (like $4). They don't have Dead Beat though, which is the 7th novel... Amazon for that one. But overall, it might be worth checking them out for the current prices, unless you have access to some used ones. They have a boxset for the first 3 books too.

« Reply #229 on: September 21, 2009, 10:43:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
nice heads up!

« Reply #230 on: September 21, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »

Offline belgian c fan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
i really liked zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, as well as Steppenwolf by hermann hesse.

but for me, one of the best books ever is the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

« Reply #231 on: September 21, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just finishing Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, the third book in the Robert Langdon series. Save your money. Very poorly done, especially when compared to Angels and Demons which I think was the best of the three.

« Reply #232 on: September 21, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »

Offline gustusias

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
All the Pretty Horses, The Coffee Trader, anything by Dennis Leehane, any poetry by Gerald Stern, In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, , Angela's Ashes, The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, The Road, actually everything by Cormak McCarthy, Charles Burkowski's poetry more than his novels. Want more? Let me know.

« Reply #233 on: September 21, 2009, 02:20:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Just finishing Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, the third book in the Robert Langdon series. Save your money. Very poorly done, especially when compared to Angels and Demons which I think was the best of the three.

I have started it, and it is decent so far.  I really am trying to save it for a flight on Friday.  In general, I think Brown is a pretty poor writer...but his books always keep me occupied, which is really all I can ask for when I am flying.  Although after finishing them, I always feel like I need to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

« Reply #234 on: September 21, 2009, 02:38:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I have started it, and it is decent so far.  I really am trying to save it for a flight on Friday.  In general, I think Brown is a pretty poor writer...but his books always keep me occupied, which is really all I can ask for when I am flying.  Although after finishing them, I always feel like I need to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Its like eating a double cheeseburger from mcdonalds. You're not really looking forward to it, you're not really happy about it afterwards, but at that moment, well you were hungry and it worked.

« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2009, 03:22:24 PM »

Offline OCsWestCeltic

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Liberty & Tyrany by Mark Levin

Read it and pass it on to a friend...

« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2009, 04:33:11 PM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Tropic of Cancer

« Reply #237 on: September 27, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
american shaolin

« Reply #238 on: September 27, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
i just finished the Tao De Ching (most translated book in the world after the Bible)

pretty good if impractical

« Reply #239 on: September 27, 2009, 12:04:35 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Just read Dragonfly Falling by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the 2nd book in the Shadows of the Apt series. Again, a really good read, really recommending this series to those that might enjoy a fantasy series with some steampunk.

Will read the third installment shortly.