Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 182177 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #210 on: September 01, 2009, 08:41:35 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Oh and anything by Robin Hobb is absolutely fantastic, particularly the Soldier Son trilogy, an extremely original and fascinating settin.

Interesting that you mention her Soldier Son trilogy, since just about everyone I've talked to say that Soldier Son is one of her weakest works. You liked that more than the Elderlings books?

« Reply #211 on: September 01, 2009, 09:44:19 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
I just finished "Going Postal" by Terry Pratchett. Always awesome, very light.

anyone read any of the dresden or dexter books?

I have read all 3 Dexter books. I very much enjoyed the first two, but the third wasn't my favorite.

I resisted watching Showtime's Dexter b/c I doubted it could ever live up to the books, but I gave in this summer. I am almost halfway through season 3. It's a very good show. After 3-4 episodes I was able to get past the difference from the books. The casting was spot on.

Btw, 'Dexter by Design' is scheduled for release September 8th.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #212 on: September 01, 2009, 10:49:47 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'm a high school English teacher getting my MA in English right now, so I read a ton.  So while I could talk about things ranging from the Gothic novel to the Harlem Renaissance, I'll stick slightly more in the pop vein and promote anything by John Irving.  Some of his more notable works include The World According to Garp, Cider House Rules, The Hotel New Hampshire, A Widow for one year (became the movie The Door in the Floor), Until I Find You, and A Prayer for Owen Meany (became the movie, Simon Birch). 

His novels are full of rich, eclectic, and sometimes hyperbolic characters that often in ****ensian manner end up interweaving their diverse lives by the end of the novel. 

« Reply #213 on: September 01, 2009, 11:08:28 AM »

Offline steefp2

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Oh and anything by Robin Hobb is absolutely fantastic, particularly the Soldier Son trilogy, an extremely original and fascinating settin.

Interesting that you mention her Soldier Son trilogy, since just about everyone I've talked to say that Soldier Son is one of her weakest works. You liked that more than the Elderlings books?

Well i guess it boils down to personal taste but yeah Soldier Son would be my favorite. I mean i liked all of them though it has been a very long time since i've read the previous series. I guess i liked it so much because the magic system is so original, unique and innovative.

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding the right words to describe exactly what i liked about it so much; not so suprising since english is my third language. But i'll try; i just found it very refreshing, it not being typical high fantasy and such. The setting with the cavalry army and sort of 1700's atmosphere was something i didn't expect at all and made the series that more appealing for me.

But like i said it's all about taste. Oh and i just read the Dragon keeper by her aswell; which is another Elderling Book. It's a gem really.

« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I just ordered "The Strain" by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan.  I haven't started it yet but was wondering what others thought of it.

I just read "Saxons, Vikings, and Celts: The Genetic Roots of Britain and Ireland".  It is a light read that I found interesting.  It peaked my interest in genitic history, or should i say using genealogy to investigate history.

« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2009, 01:02:29 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Well i guess it boils down to personal taste but yeah Soldier Son would be my favorite. I mean i liked all of them though it has been a very long time since i've read the previous series. I guess i liked it so much because the magic system is so original, unique and innovative.

I'm having a bit of a hard time finding the right words to describe exactly what i liked about it so much; not so suprising since english is my third language. But i'll try; i just found it very refreshing, it not being typical high fantasy and such. The setting with the cavalry army and sort of 1700's atmosphere was something i didn't expect at all and made the series that more appealing for me.

But like i said it's all about taste. Oh and i just read the Dragon keeper by her aswell; which is another Elderling Book. It's a gem really.

Dragon Keeper is out? I didn't realize... I love the Elderling books... As for the Soilder Son series, I could not get past the first 200 pages in book 1.  Navarre is just flat out boring.

I just finished reading "The Name of the Wind"... someone suggested it on here and i'll be [dang] that's a fine book. Very Robin Hobb, main character reminds me of Fitz a lot.

« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2009, 01:08:40 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Last I read Martin gave an interview in May of this year saying he was hoping to have a Dance With Dragons finished by October or November 2009 with a release of spring 2010 but in a more recent interview on a podcast he said he couldn't give an expected date:

http://www.suvudu.com/2009/08/new-george-r-r-martin-interview.html

This book is NEVER going to come out.. been only ... 5 years.

« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2009, 01:10:16 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Dragon Keeper is out? I didn't realize... I love the Elderling books... As for the Soilder Son series, I could not get past the first 200 pages in book 1.  Navarre is just flat out boring.

I just finished reading "The Name of the Wind"... someone suggested it on here and i'll be [dang] that's a fine book. Very Robin Hobb, main character reminds me of Fitz a lot.

That was me, and it's a really good book. Book #2, "The Wise Man's Fear" won't be out for a while though, probably late 2010. I think he's doing a great job handling the "story within a story" element, switching between 3rd and 1st person narrative.

« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • 7 + 11 = 18
You've been awarded a Tommy Point Bud, thanks.

Whoever suggested the book "The Lies of Locke Lamora" deserves one too.  I've only read about 150 pages but very interesting so far...

« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2009, 05:16:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Whoever suggested the book "The Lies of Locke Lamora" deserves one too.  I've only read about 150 pages but very interesting so far...

I believe that was crownsy, since I read it because of his recommendation too. I had a bit of trouble in the beginning... I actually stopped reading it. But then I gave it a second chance and ended absolutely loving it. At around 300 pages in it gets real good.

You started reading it at a good time, since the 3rd book, Republic of Thieves, is finally getting some progress. The author recently released the prologue to appease fans who have been waiting for it for quite a bit after delays and delays.

Anyways, quite an enjoyable series and quite brutal at times, and funny.

« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2009, 09:34:27 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Most anything by Ted Dekker, particularly "Three" and "Boneman's Daughters."
Stephen King's "The Girl who loved Tom Gordon."
The Harry Potter Series, especially the later ones -- no joke; these are well-written and way beyond kids' stuff.
Last but not least, the Bible.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #221 on: September 11, 2009, 09:35:34 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I also recommend the as-yet-unreleased but highly anticipated "Deal With the Darkness" ... by me. =)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

How could I forget the best fantasy stories ever?
« Reply #222 on: September 11, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings," and Lewis's "The Chronicles of Narnia."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2009, 11:06:31 PM »

Offline Poseidon

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • Ray Allen είναι ο άνθρωπος.
Everyone here buy the Book of Fate the next time you are at the book store. Best book I've ever read in my life.
"I could justify it all day long if I wanted to, but the truth is, I locked it because I wanted to."- Jeff

« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2009, 02:01:35 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I believe that was crownsy, since I read it because of his recommendation too. I had a bit of trouble in the beginning... I actually stopped reading it. But then I gave it a second chance and ended absolutely loving it. At around 300 pages in it gets real good.

You started reading it at a good time, since the 3rd book, Republic of Thieves, is finally getting some progress. The author recently released the prologue to appease fans who have been waiting for it for quite a bit after delays and delays.

Anyways, quite an enjoyable series and quite brutal at times, and funny.

He's given himself quite a challenge for republic of thieves in Sabetha. Clearly her and Locke will be at odd's to start, but She's been  hyped up as a super thief and pretty much the female version of locke, so he'll have to balance her being the antagonist with an eventual turn back Good that the readers don't hate.

We'll see, should be a good book.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion