Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 182154 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2009, 03:34:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
That's why god created ebay. It's "idiot girlfriend" proof. Not that your girlfriend is an idiot. Just figure of speach. Don't kill me.

haha. Im inclined to agree right now.

My wife once got in a bidding war with herself on eBay.  She'd sign in and bid on something.  I'd get on the computer and sign in to see how my stuff on ebay was doing.  She'd hop on, still logged in under me and see that she was no longer the high bidder, so she'd bid...A day or so later she'd log back in under herself and the cruel cycle would continue. 

I had to sit her down and show her the subtle nuances of using "MY EBAY"
Yup

« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So I got the Terry Goodkind "sword of truth" series at a garage sale. I should read it, yeah?
I read this series when it came out and hated the ending. If I remember right the story is of a kid who uses this Sword of Truth in a medieval setting to overcome a corrupt regime only to have the books end with spaceships from space rescuing the world from the effects of the wars over the Sword of Truth. Rather ridiculous.

It reminded me of Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy where he put together some of the best and most forward thinking science fiction for 2 1/2 books just to muck it up in the end with a really stupid, bad, obviously rushed by the publisher ending.

« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
So I got the Terry Goodkind "sword of truth" series at a garage sale. I should read it, yeah?
I read this series when it came out and hated the ending. If I remember right the story is of a kid who uses this Sword of Truth in a medieval setting to overcome a corrupt regime only to have the books end with spaceships from space rescuing the world from the effects of the wars over the Sword of Truth. Rather ridiculous.

I think you might be slightly mistaken since there were no spaceships lol. And the protagonist isn't a kid.

« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2009, 03:49:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
That's why god created ebay. It's "idiot girlfriend" proof. Not that your girlfriend is an idiot. Just figure of speach. Don't kill me.

My wife once got in a bidding war with herself on eBay.  She'd sign in and bid on something.  I'd get on the computer and sign in to see how my stuff on ebay was doing.  She'd hop on, still logged in under me and see that she was no longer the high bidder, so she'd bid...A day or so later she'd log back in under herself and the cruel cycle would continue. 

That is priceless. Better even, than the day i had to explain to my girlfriend that tuna fish was an actual fish, and not just mish mosh of fish people didn't like.

Nick...spoiler alert much?

lol..just kidding...when you break a fantasy book down like that...it looks so silly. The sad thing is that's what most fantasy to me breaks down to.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I think you might be slightly mistaken since there were no spaceships lol. And the protagonist isn't a kid.
Maybe that was the Dark Sword Trilogy then. Sorry, I get all those Sword Trilogies mixed up.

« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

That is priceless. Better even, than the day i had to explain to my girlfriend that tuna fish was an actual fish, and not just mish mosh of fish people didn't like.

Nick...spoiler alert much?

lol..just kidding...when you break a fantasy book down like that...it looks so silly. The sad thing is that's what most fantasy to me breaks down to.

I should probably add the disclaimer that my wife is several times more intelligent than me in just about every useful way.  The useless stuff, I excel in though.
Yup

« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
anyone who says girls aren't scary is crazy. Just sayin.

« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2009, 04:10:26 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
Just wanted to thank everyone who recommend George R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series. I've just read the first two and am torn between reading the next two or waiting until he writes more.

Another suggestion is 1491 by Charles Mann. It's a great non fiction about what the Americas where really like right before Columbus 'discovered' them.

Also I've been getting into Pat Conroy's stuff lately, both the Great Santini and the Lords of Discipline are great reads. The Great Santini is a fictional retelling of his relationship with his crazy intense Marine father. The lords of Discipline part thinly veiled memoir of his time at the Citadel in the 1960's part thriller.
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2009, 04:13:09 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
the great santini is awesome.

Did he write "The Losing Season" too? Also awesome.

« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2009, 04:32:02 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
Yep. That's next on my list. My Losing Season is his only 'non fiction' work I believe although much of his writing is based off his own life experiences.
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Maybe that was the Dark Sword Trilogy then. Sorry, I get all those Sword Trilogies mixed up.

No worries. We all know how disimilar and original all these fantasy series' titles are. By the way, I had responded to your Riftwar post in case you missed it with all the random messages that have been posted since then.

« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Just wanted to thank everyone who recommend George R. Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice series. I've just read the first two and am torn between reading the next two or waiting until he writes more.

I was just checking in to see when the next one might be done, and it seems like it's still at a standstill.  I read the first 4 in succession over the course of a year or so.  I haven't really picked up anything since successfully (might just be what I'm trying to read sucks)...anyhow, I definitely have a void that needs filling.

So, I'd say KEEP READING THEM!
Yup

« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2009, 04:54:30 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I was just checking in to see when the next one might be done, and it seems like it's still at a standstill.  I read the first 4 in succession over the course of a year or so.  I haven't really picked up anything since successfully (might just be what I'm trying to read sucks)...anyhow, I definitely have a void that needs filling.

So, I'd say KEEP READING THEM!

I haven't read it, but do try the Malazan series... it's been highly recommended and most that like Martin like this series.

I also recommend you read The First Law trilogy, followed by Best Served Cold. It's an awesome series by Joe Abercrombie.

« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2009, 05:13:21 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Paul Auster's "Oracle night" comes to mind right away

« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2009, 05:30:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Last I read Martin gave an interview in May of this year saying he was hoping to have a Dance With Dragons finished by October or November 2009 with a release of spring 2010 but in a more recent interview on a podcast he said he couldn't give an expected date:

http://www.suvudu.com/2009/08/new-george-r-r-martin-interview.html