Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 182259 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2009, 12:26:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
currently reading:

stop dressing your six year old like a skank

not bad so far, pretty humorous

just finished a psychology book called blind spots, about why smart people do dumb things - it was ok, not great, but ok

That's pretty funny!

As a parent of a six year old girl, I'm definitely appalled by the level of which her classmates are already dressing in suggestive clothing.  Just weird. 
Yup

« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Voodoo Science: The Road from Foolishness to Fraud.

This book is one of the most enjoyable reads of all the books I've read about bad science. And I've read a lot. The author does a great job showing why we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that deception is involved in ridiculous claims. Usually, we are dealing with self deception, poorly done science, and bad science reporting that makes the claims seem legitimate.

I still find it shocking that educated individuals get suckered into believing nonsense like shoes with magnets or homeopathy, but I know it isn't reasonable to expect everyone who understand proper critical thinking.

I also appreciate it when any book reminds us of the disastrous effects on science of Gingrich's "Contract with America" when it dismantles the OTA.

Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me

Another compelling book on a similar topic. This book explores how cognitive dissonance leads to problems like innocent people being incarcerated and fad psychology tearing apart families.

« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Sorry for doing a bit of advertising, but I thought this was worth mentioning... though I haven't tried them yet. Though I've bought from them through them as Amazon sellers.

Anyways, http://www.bookdepository.com/ seems to be providing good prices for books with free shipping world wide. Seems worth investigating.

And to keep this thread on topic, right now I'm finishing the second book of the Night Angel Trilogy, Shadows Edge. So far this book has been better than the first. In all it has been a cool book, with tons of action. Lots of violence and some sex for those interested in that aspect.

I read that series, it was very good i thought. looking forward to what the author does next.

Just finished the last book in the kushiel's dart trilogy. I must say, if your a fan of intrigue novels and alternate history, they are a great read. book's 2 and 3 really picked it up. The first was very good, but the last two hit it out of the park and made me very interested in picking up the next trilogy, which picks up some years in the future of the series's world.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 12:54:13 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2009, 01:13:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
World War Z by Max Brooks.  Great book - its format is a series of interviews with survivors of "The Great Zombie War".  Traces the contagion from its earliest stages to its spread and its effects across the Earth.  Interesting and fun thought experiment about the worldwide effects of an actual zombie virus.

« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2009, 01:26:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
World War Z by Max Brooks.  Great book - its format is a series of interviews with survivors of "The Great Zombie War".  Traces the contagion from its earliest stages to its spread and its effects across the Earth.  Interesting and fun thought experiment about the worldwide effects of an actual zombie virus.

Zombies are like the ultimate invading force. You can kill them without guilt, and kill lots of them, even if its your friends, family, whoever, as long as they are zombies.

The fact they we're so obsessed with them kind of leads you to think that there is some intrinsic misanthropy in America.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2009, 01:31:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Sorry for doing a bit of advertising, but I thought this was worth mentioning... though I haven't tried them yet. Though I've bought from them through them as Amazon sellers.

Anyways, http://www.bookdepository.com/ seems to be providing good prices for books with free shipping world wide. Seems worth investigating.

And to keep this thread on topic, right now I'm finishing the second book of the Night Angel Trilogy, Shadows Edge. So far this book has been better than the first. In all it has been a cool book, with tons of action. Lots of violence and some sex for those interested in that aspect.

I read that series, it was very good i thought. looking forward to what the author does next.

Just finished the last book in the kushiel's dart trilogy. I must say, if your a fan of intrigue novels and alternate history, they are a great read. book's 2 and 3 really picked it up. The first was very good, but the last two hit it out of the park and made me very interested in picking up the next trilogy, which picks up some years in the future of the series's world.

This is surely on my to read list, I simply got quite a few things I want to finish/read first. As I mentioned in my other post, you should check out Shadows of the Apt which I have to finish; I'm sure you'll enjoy it seeing as you and I seem to have similar tastes in books. Need to read the Mistborn trilogy, Best Served Cold, finish Wheel of Time (I'm on book 9 at the moment). Maybe then I can check out Kushiel... but I also have The Dark Tower, A Song of Ice and Fire, and some of the Riftwar books stashed here... so those would be my priority.

But I also want to check out The Law of Nines, which is the new Goodkind novel, which looks to be related in some fashion to his Sword of Truth series. And I also want to check out The Warded Man (The Painted Man).

But in due time, I'm sure I'll get to Kushiel. Maybe in a couple of years. I really have a long "To Read" list.

As for Brent Weeks (Night Angel), it seems like he has plans for some novels unrelated to Night Angel, from what I've read around 2010 is his target. After that he plans on revisiting the Night Angel world, though I don't know in what fashion though he doesn't seem to want Kylar as his main character probably because he might be too powerful. So who knows, but certainly he has some plans for the future to look forward to.

« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2009, 02:43:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A happened into the Conclave of Shadows series in the Riftwar Cycle by Feist and found it pretty good. It was only after reading the first book that I realized this was the latest of a long line and not the beginning. For those that have read the Riftwar Cycle should I even bother going back and reading these books? I thought Conclave of Shadows was okay but it didn't WOW me.

« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
So I got the Terry Goodkind "sword of truth" series at a garage sale. I should read it, yeah?

« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2009, 03:10:28 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
A happened into the Conclave of Shadows series in the Riftwar Cycle by Feist and found it pretty good. It was only after reading the first book that I realized this was the latest of a long line and not the beginning. For those that have read the Riftwar Cycle should I even bother going back and reading these books? I thought Conclave of Shadows was okay but it didn't WOW me.

I wouldn't be able to tell you myself. I've only read the Riftwar Saga I'm going to follow this reading order:
http://www.crydee.com/raymond-feist/reading-order/alternate

So soon I'm going to start the Empire trilogy. My plan is to read the Empire Trilogy, Krondor Sons, Serpentwar Saga, Conclave of Shadows, The Demonwar Saga (which is the current saga being written), and the Chaoswar Saga when they get to there.

Of all, I'm going I'm surely going to skip Legends of Riftwar and most probably Riftwar Legacy since they're non-essential, and from what I've read around not his best writing came during this time, probably because of a divorce or something.

The books aren't big, so it shouldn't be too hard to go through them. Since you've enjoyed quite a few books in this Riftwar world, I don't see why you wouldn't manage reading the rest of the relevant series.

Hope that helps some. I assume you've read up to A Darkness at Sethanon + that book you just mentioned of Conclave of Shadows. Am I right?

So I got the Terry Goodkind "sword of truth" series at a garage sale. I should read it, yeah?

You know, I wouldn't. Opinion on the series seems to be too divided for me to recommend it in good conscience. I enjoyed it myself, though I recognize where most of its weaknesses lie and they can be very annoying. There are many good/interesting fantasy series out there to try first, but surely if you find it for cheap... why not? But it's 11 books long, so it can be a bit of an undertaking, and if The Law of Nines loosely continues the series, then you might be into a longer journey.

« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2009, 03:14:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Anyone ever read the Postman by David Brin? one of the worst movies/best books combo I've ever seen.

« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2009, 03:22:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
BC..thanks for the headsup.

Funny, random thing:

My girlfriend decided she wanted to do a lawn sale..so she went through my entire mancave, a plethora of treasure that I've accumulated over the last ten years.

Before I could stop her, she'd already sold my sega dreamcast with 12 games ($15), an old (2years, not ancient) GPS Magellen device that I kept as a backup if my garmin crapped the bed ($1), and one of my three TI 86's..($1)

Stupid girls.

« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2009, 03:24:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
A freakin TI86...$1!

I asked her what she thought she was doing, and she said "Its just a stupid calculator!"

« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
And my dreamcast! God!

« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
That's why god created ebay. It's "idiot girlfriend" proof. Not that your girlfriend is an idiot. Just figure of speach. Don't kill me.

« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
That's why god created ebay. It's "idiot girlfriend" proof. Not that your girlfriend is an idiot. Just figure of speach. Don't kill me.

haha. Im inclined to agree right now.