Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 182250 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #345 on: March 24, 2012, 11:45:54 PM »

Kiorrik

Hunger Games

Books are awesome , I am on the third book and can't put them down! I have read two books and half of the third in a week! Best books I have read in a long time. I have seen the commercials for the movie and it doesn't do the books justice. The commercials actually make the whole thing look cheesy , but let me tell you..... The books are awesome!
Has anyone else read them? They are getting a cult following like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter(no I am not comparing them to Lord of the Rings, they are just getting a cult following)! The first book was awesome!
My girlfriend brought home the first chapter of the first book, she got it for free from somewhere. Liked it, and we bought the first book. I'm in the middle of reading an other series though, so I'm going to finish that first :)

Doubt there's anyone here that's into Warhammer, but this is what I'm reading right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Nagash-Immortal-Time-Legends-Mike/dp/1849700354/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

« Reply #346 on: March 25, 2012, 12:19:25 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
So im going on a trip to Wrestlimania in Miami this week, and i'm out of books to read, and i'm all caught up on my favorite authors.

If anyone has any recommendations for some good fantasy/sci fi series, it would be much appreciated. Need at least two books, would like something in the vein of:

1. High fantasy, similar to game of thrones/ wheel of time/ sword of truth series ect. Ive kinda run out of authors in this vein.

2. Something with a bit of action in the space exploration realm. Ive read the honor harrington series and liked them though I found them a bit dry, something with a little swashbuckling, mabey ala firefly would be awesome.

Thanks in advance Cblog, and wish me luck im rocking the Pierce 34 jersey into enemy territory  ;)

Steven Eriksons Malazan book of the Fallen is an epic series 10 books long and each book close to 1000+ pages.

ANYTHING!!! and I mean ANYTHING!!!! written by Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn series is the best book series I have read. And Also his new epic fantasy the way of kings is a great read also.

Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy and Black Prism are awesome reads.

There is a book series called the Broken Well Trilogy written by Sam Bowring. Good series and you can smash at all 3 in a week or 2, and it has a very sastisfying ending and a different take on the good vs evil sterotype.

« Reply #347 on: March 25, 2012, 01:01:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Just finished teaching One Flew over the cuckoos nest to my seniors... Cant go wrong with a classic.

« Reply #348 on: March 25, 2012, 01:23:31 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Crownsey if you haven't read the Harry dresden books yet, do it meow. SOOOOOOO worth it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #349 on: March 26, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So im going on a trip to Wrestlimania in Miami this week, and i'm out of books to read, and i'm all caught up on my favorite authors.

If anyone has any recommendations for some good fantasy/sci fi series, it would be much appreciated. Need at least two books, would like something in the vein of:

1. High fantasy, similar to game of thrones/ wheel of time/ sword of truth series ect. Ive kinda run out of authors in this vein.

2. Something with a bit of action in the space exploration realm. Ive read the honor harrington series and liked them though I found them a bit dry, something with a little swashbuckling, mabey ala firefly would be awesome.

Thanks in advance Cblog, and wish me luck im rocking the Pierce 34 jersey into enemy territory  ;)

Steven Eriksons Malazan book of the Fallen is an epic series 10 books long and each book close to 1000+ pages.

ANYTHING!!! and I mean ANYTHING!!!! written by Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn series is the best book series I have read. And Also his new epic fantasy the way of kings is a great read also.

Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy and Black Prism are awesome reads.

There is a book series called the Broken Well Trilogy written by Sam Bowring. Good series and you can smash at all 3 in a week or 2, and it has a very sastisfying ending and a different take on the good vs evil sterotype.

I've read weeks, loved the night angle series, though the new prism book failed to make me say "wow!" like those...going to give book two a shot once it's out though. I did love the magic system that bending light is how you "cast"

I'll grab one of the other series though, thanks!
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #350 on: March 26, 2012, 06:38:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Crownsey if you haven't read the Harry dresden books yet, do it meow. SOOOOOOO worth it.

I have indeed, and they are awesome! only one i don't have is the new one (ghost story) refuse to pay 35 bucks for a hard cover, waiting for the paperback.

Have you read his other series? (fires of caldaron) awesome books, roman legion meets lord of the rings.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #351 on: April 05, 2012, 09:08:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Orson Scott Card has a lot of series that you might like.  Ender's Game (and that series) is his most well known, but he has quite a few that might intrigue you.  They are definitely science fiction, but are well written with a lot of character development so they aren't hokie or cheesey like star trek, star wars, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #352 on: April 05, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'm in a classics mode. Just finished Catcher in The Rye and have moved onto one of my all time favorites, Great Gatsby.

« Reply #353 on: April 05, 2012, 09:19:31 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I have indeed, and they are awesome! only one i don't have is the new one (ghost story) refuse to pay 35 bucks for a hard cover, waiting for the paperback.

Have you read his other series? (fires of caldaron) awesome books, roman legion meets lord of the rings.

Yep, read those too. I recommended them to my brother as 'popcorn fantasy', where you know the good guy wins and the only important guy who dies is dumbledore.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #354 on: August 24, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm reading 50 shades of grey and man is it awful. Harry Potter is soooooooo much better

« Reply #355 on: July 26, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have been given Tim Tebow's book Through my eyes.  I can't actually say it's that great. It's like the only thing he ever did that wasn't great.  Also I have bought a book called The History of the World in 100 Weapons.  I'm not sure how wise a purchase this was

« Reply #356 on: July 26, 2013, 10:10:59 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
For Science Fiction try the really old stuff by Hal Clement as he had a unique perspective of alien life.

For Science Fantasy try Steven Brust who has an incredible mind where he created a fantastic world. He starts his series in the middle with Taltos and then writes books that happen before and after that time. Then he writes a prequel series the establishes the world hundreds of years in the past and he writes in the style of Dumas (Three Musketeers which makes it even more unique.

For Non-Fiction how about the George Washington biography.

« Reply #357 on: July 26, 2013, 11:04:39 PM »

Offline celticdog

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 28

Collection of noir short stories.  Includes one by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone).

« Reply #358 on: July 27, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Divergent by Veronica Roth. 1984 by George Orwell
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #359 on: July 27, 2013, 02:16:19 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
"Master Harold...and The Boys" by Athol Fugard.