Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 182226 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #330 on: September 15, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler.
Really good.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #331 on: September 15, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I Maybe Wrong But I Doubt It - Charles Barkley

Haven't finished it yet but so far so good. He's very opinionated, open, not shy to ask questions or express views many people hide or alter.

Best book to read while there's no positive basketball news on ESPN
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #332 on: September 15, 2011, 12:27:51 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
Some quick reviews on books I just finished / am currently reading:

Basketball Junkie - Chris Herren with Bill Reynolds MUST READ. I would recommed reading Fall River Dreams first for invaluable context, as well as a phenomenal story. But any Celtics fan will be blown away by Herren's stories from his time with the C's. This book was gripping start to finish.

Those Guys Have All the Fun - ESPN expose - just read all 700 plus pages of it. Don't waste you time. There are some entertaining antecdotes but otherwise a TON of unnecessary rambling.

How Lucky You Can Be - Buster Olnery (the Don Meyer Story) I've unfortunately been dissapointed by this book. Meyer's story is remarkable from a coaching view and personally moving. However, Olney frames it in a very boring way. I really expected great things from this book.

The Extra 2% - Jonah Keri - this is the new Moneyball about the rise of the Tampa Bay Rays. So far, so good. I'm about 50 pages in. I'd recommend it as it tells an easily overlooked great baseball story.

Anyways, if someone reads this looking for a good sports book, hopefully it helps!
"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #333 on: September 15, 2011, 01:24:02 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Huzy, I'm with you 100% on Those Guys Have All the Fun...I'm over 500 pages in, and what a disappointment it has been.  Like you said,  there are some interesting tales in there that do keep my interest, but the book just jumps all over the place.  It's a bunch of scattered stories and quotes with very little (if any) flow.  Also, the first couple chapters on the founding of ESPN are 200 pages of men I've never heard of rambling on about how important they are.

« Reply #334 on: October 14, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder

« Reply #335 on: November 07, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I buy as many volumes of Sudoku as I can. Since there will be no NBA boxscores to analyze for purposes of building the Vin Baker Memorial Fantasy team, I might as well stay sharp with the numbers by playing Sudoku.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #336 on: November 07, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Working on "I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution" by Craig Marks & Rob Tennebaum.

I'm about halfway through it so far. Its told in the form of an oral history (Like the SNL & ESPN books) so its a relatively easy read. 

Next up after this is "Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge" by Mark Yarm. Can't wait to get started on that. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #337 on: November 07, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Here are a couple of good books that I have recently read:

Crazy for the Storm: A Memoir of Survival by Norman Ollestad - A true story of a father, a son, and a plane crash.

The Average American Male: A Novel by Chad Kultgen - Not for everyone. Edgy fiction.

The Lost Painting: The Quest for a Caravaggio Masterpiece by Jonathan Harr - If you enjoy art and the art world then this may be for you. True story about how a long lost priceless painting was found.

The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann - A true and unbelievably sad story, on many levels. You will never think of the Amazon in the same way.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #338 on: December 17, 2011, 06:38:34 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Shaq Uncut - Quick read...it was entertaining enough.  Most people here will be more interested in the part where he talks the Celtics.

A Journey - My Political Life by Tony Blair -  This one surprised me. It grasped my attention more than I thought it would.  I especially liked the parts where he discussed the role of the media and his relationship with Gordon Brown.

« Reply #339 on: February 27, 2012, 10:18:34 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I know this is a thread for "recommended books" but I'm hoping to add a "not-so-recommended" post for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Recently suggested to me by a friend, but I personally found it to be overrated, bloated, and disappointing.

The glaring issue is that the book is, at a minimum, 150 pages too long, as Stieg Larsson just goes on and on and on about every minor character and every insigificant detail, and plot lines that are irrelevant to the main story.  We really don't need to know what Mikael Blomkvist had for lunch everyday.  Characters are built up for entire chapters as being essential to the plot, only to fade into the background never to be heard from again.  Just when something gets interesting, he goes off in another direction for 40 pages before coming back to it.  I have no issue with long books, but I do have an issue with unnecessarily long books.  And considering how much time they spent building up the murder mystery and the other plot lines, everything was suddenly resolved a bit too conveniently and easily, to the point where it was unrealistic.  I spent the last 100 pages just waiting for the book to finally end.

Now, it's not all bad.  It's unfortunate this wasn't better edited, because there is an interesting premise here, and Larsson certainly wasn't a wholly untalented writer.  To be sure, the "good" in this book is very good, and there were times when I was really pulled in.  Cut the book's size by about 30% and you've got something here.  But to me, this book wasn't nearly what it was cracked up to be, and given what a chore it was to read, I wouldn't recommend it if you were considering reading it. 

« Reply #340 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Been reading the Ringworld series -- Ringworld, Ringworld Engineers, Ringworld Throne, Ringworld's Children.

Enjoyable so far, especially the first one.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #341 on: February 27, 2012, 10:29:15 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King

http://www.amazon.com/11-22-63-Stephen-King/dp/1451627289/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330356281&sr=8-1

Really recommend it. Equal parts nostalgia, suspense, and a little sprinkle of supernatural, with multiple nods towards King's classic works.

The way King paints the past America (at the end of the 'Golden Age', before JFK's assassination which plays a pivotal part in the novel) is so lovingly intense and vivid, and just..awesome. He will set you up too, like make things seem all hunky-dory and beaver cleaver and wham, you get hit by a lunatic who fell through society's cracks.

Read it, its worth it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #342 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Hunger Games

Books are awesome , I am on the third book and can't put them down! I have read two books and half of the third in a week! Best books I have read in a long time. I have seen the commercials for the movie and it doesn't do the books justice. The commercials actually make the whole thing look cheesy , but let me tell you..... The books are awesome!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Hunger Games

Books are awesome , I am on the third book and can't put them down! I have read two books and half of the third in a week! Best books I have read in a long time. I have seen the commercials for the movie and it doesn't do the books justice. The commercials actually make the whole thing look cheesy , but let me tell you..... The books are awesome!
Has anyone else read them? They are getting a cult following like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter(no I am not comparing them to Lord of the Rings, they are just getting a cult following)! The first book was awesome!
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #344 on: March 24, 2012, 11:06:15 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So im going on a trip to Wrestlimania in Miami this week, and i'm out of books to read, and i'm all caught up on my favorite authors.

If anyone has any recommendations for some good fantasy/sci fi series, it would be much appreciated. Need at least two books, would like something in the vein of:

1. High fantasy, similar to game of thrones/ wheel of time/ sword of truth series ect. Ive kinda run out of authors in this vein.

2. Something with a bit of action in the space exploration realm. Ive read the honor harrington series and liked them though I found them a bit dry, something with a little swashbuckling, mabey ala firefly would be awesome.

Thanks in advance Cblog, and wish me luck im rocking the Pierce 34 jersey into enemy territory  ;)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion