Author Topic: Recommended Books?  (Read 179491 times)

Re: Recommended Books?
« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2009, 12:02:55 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
For those of you that like the A Song of Ice and Fire, you'll probably want to check out Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I haven't read it myself, but I've seen it recommended quite a few times to people that like the former. Any of you read it by any chance?

« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2009, 09:21:01 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Sorry for the double post.

Just read The Name of the Wind and loved it. Will highly recommend it to people that like fantasy.

It's the debut novel by Patrick Rothfuss, and the book has gotten a ton of praises. It's the first book of the Kingkiller Chronicle (probably a trilogy), at the moment waiting for the second book.

The main character is an interesting one, and the structure of the novel also makes interesting since it's not the usual. The story starts in 3rd person, then shifts to 1st person as the meat of the story is like an autobiography of the main character. We keep getting Interludes that bring us back to the present. So in all it's a story within a story. But the present has it's own plot, so it's not just a retelling of the character's life.

I find the characters to be good and realistic, and really like how the magic system in here works, though we haven't gotten to the meat of it.

Anyone here read it?

« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2009, 09:24:03 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
Some of my favorite reads include:

"The Merchant of Venice" by Shakespeare

"Tartuffe" by Moliere

"Medea" by Euripides"

If you're not really into the whole classic literature, I'd highly recommend these 2 titles.  I really enjoyed reading them.

"Master Harold...and the Boys." by Athol Fugard

"Bread Givers" by Anzia Yezierskya.

« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2009, 01:59:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Right now I'm reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie... first novel of The First Law Trilogy, and I have to say this book is quite awesome. You guys should check it out. Everywhere I've looked, everyone has very high praises for the trilogy. If not mistaken, The Blade Itself was his debut novel.

Anyways, check it out. It's really a page turner, with multiple point of views, interesting characters. It also has a good abundance of dark humor and it can be quite brutal and violent at times.

Here's a review for it for those interested:
http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/293.html

Any of you read it by any chance?

« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Don't you dare watch Simon Birch and think that's all you need for the story  ;D the book is much better and is an excellent read.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2009, 03:24:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Right now I'm reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie... first novel of The First Law Trilogy, and I have to say this book is quite awesome. You guys should check it out. Everywhere I've looked, everyone has very high praises for the trilogy. If not mistaken, The Blade Itself was his debut novel.

Anyways, check it out. It's really a page turner, with multiple point of views, interesting characters. It also has a good abundance of dark humor and it can be quite brutal and violent at times.

I read it, i really liked it.

My only problem is the second one is coming out in that big book format too, im going to cave eventually, but they are a tad pricey.

I'm quite a fan of the way ninefingers was written in the story, and glorka was also extremly well done.

side note: i forgot who recommend it, but if they remind me, mucho TP's for the rec to read the honor harrington series, those books are great.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2009, 03:29:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
For those of you that like the A Song of Ice and Fire, you'll probably want to check out Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I haven't read it myself, but I've seen it recommended quite a few times to people that like the former. Any of you read it by any chance?

I haven't, but A song of ice and Fire is my current favroite on going series, so ill have to give it a look once i finish up what im on.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2009, 03:33:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I haven't, but A song of ice and Fire is my current favroite on going series, so ill have to give it a look once i finish up what im on.

I'm about half way through the 4th book of a Song and Ice and Fire series now (picked it up based on someones suggestion on here at least a year ago I'd say)...I've been reading about a chapter a day.  The 4th book is probably the worst so so far, but all in all it's an amazing story with at least a dozen characters worth following (at least until he kills them off - which he's not afraid of doing).

Yup

« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2009, 03:41:50 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I read it, i really liked it.

My only problem is the second one is coming out in that big book format too, im going to cave eventually, but they are a tad pricey.

I'm quite a fan of the way ninefingers was written in the story, and glorka was also extremly well done.

side note: i forgot who recommend it, but if they remind me, mucho TP's for the rec to read the honor harrington series, those books are great.

I already bought myself the whole trilogy in the Paperback format, which came at about $11.50 each from Amazon with free shipping.

Didn't know about the hardcover, since the first book doesn't have one. They don't seem to be widely available. I preffer paperback myself... I hate hardcovers, always end up destroying them.

Yep, I enjoy Ninefingers, though still waiting for him to get more involved. Glotka is quite awesome. Who knew that someone could write such an interesting character being a cripple.

Edit: And a TP for Locke Lamora... still waiting for the Republic of Thieves to be released, which keeps getting delayed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 03:47:57 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2009, 03:56:42 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
About a year ago someone recommended the Song of Ice & Fire series by George martin on here.  I'm about 2500 pages into it (3rd book).  I've been pecking away at for months now.  Really enjoying the journey.  The guy has an amazing brain.  I have a fourth book in the series rady to go.  martin's working on the 5th in the series now, and it appears there will be 7, when all is said and done.  Seven is very symbollic in the series, so it would make some sense if he cuts it off at 7.

That was me, on page three of this thread, about 8 months ago... I'm glad you took my advice, everyone I've offered the first book too, or have told about it that has gone on to read it fell in love.

I agree that the 4th is by far the worst, mainly because of time constraints and Martin's choice to chop the book in half and make it a "south" book, and book 5 the "north" book.

Dance with Dragons comes out this year soon, I hope.  But until then pick up Robin Hobb's Liveship Trader trilogy or her Farseer trilogy.  Both incredibly good... take place in the same world... after those 6 books there is 3 more that take place in the same world with the same characters but roughly 25 years after those events.  The story is just incredible...

« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow

2 books, take place at the same time in the same place but from 2 different point of views.  I cant decide which one I love more but both are amazing.

« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow

2 books, take place at the same time in the same place but from 2 different point of views.  I cant decide which one I love more but both are amazing.

Buncha TP's for you, but mostly because I was going in the thread to plug "Ender's War" (Ender's Game and Speaker For the Dead together in one volume) for like the 18th time.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2009, 06:39:01 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I always recommend, and think everyone should be familiar with-

1) Don Quixote
2) Huckleberry Finn

Two classics- IMO the best two books I've ever read. A classic book does NOT have to be dry or boring.

Other favorites that probably won't be considered classics in the future, but I enjoyed immensely are -
 Dracula(yes, it's really good)
 Last and First Men(for the sci-fi fans)
 Anything by Wilkie Collins- especially The Moonstone, and The Woman in White.
 Anything by Anthony Berkeley(brilliantly written classic British mysteries).
 Mysteries by Leo Bruce(the Sgt. Beef series is fantasic)
 Mysteries by Edmund Crispin

And I just recently discovered a new favorite author, which is always a thrill-  Carl Hiaasen. The book was "Strip Tease" which I didn't even realize had been made into a movie, but it's a great read. Set in modern day Florida- sort of tongue-in-cheek hardboiled thriller stuff, but the man can create great characters.

« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2009, 06:51:16 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
The Bible
The Great Gatsby
The Last Lecture
Tuesdays with Morrie
Fahrenheit 451
I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell
The Giver
The Outsiders
Moneyball
Animal Farm
The White Book
A Book of all Edgar Allen Poe stories...

Some of my favorite.

« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2009, 06:53:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
You really like "The Great Gatsby"?

Can I ask why? (Not sarcastically) I've had to read it twice (abet years ago), and I could not stand the prose alone.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner