Author Topic: Best pure rapping I've heard in a loooong time  (Read 2678 times)

Best pure rapping I've heard in a loooong time
« on: November 06, 2009, 02:35:25 PM »

Offline Ghost_Deini

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
I could have posted this in the What Are You Listening to Now thread but I wanted to hear what people thought of this.  I personally think it is the best example of pure rapping ability to come out in a long time.  Mos Def and Eminem absolutely kill it as does Black Thought.

If you are someone who is of the opinion that rapping is a talentless art form the please listen to this.  And I have a tip.  Don't listen to the beat.  Don't even listen to the lyrics or look for a message in what they are saying.  Just listen to them and to how they put words together and flow over the beat.  Even if it is just that rap isn't aesthetically pleasing to you, can you really say these guys aren't talented?

Sorry for the long post I just got excited and im real pumped on this song.  Im curious as to what people think of it.

http://slangrap.wordpress.com/2009/10/28/mos-def-black-thought-eminem-bet-cypher-2009/

Re: Best pure rapping I've heard in a loooong time
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 02:48:50 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Yeaaaaahh!!   I love this!
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 03:32:15 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Nice post! Its hard to find good rap these days, Method Man and Redman's Blackout 2 album was refreshing this summer. I'm not saying its a masterpiece but at least it is rap. Some people are put off by this battle rap style which these guys & Del have mastered. If you like the rap but want something more refined, I suggest the Black Star album or anything from Hiero y'all!

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 03:43:02 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Joe Budden had the best BET Cypher.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
TP, that was excellent.  First impressions: Mos Def shines, thought Black Thought was a little underwhelming sandwiched in between so much talent, and Eminem continues to leave me scratching my head--despite a fantastic flow he looks completely uncomfortable in the video, and it looks like the HGH experiment has come and gone...

Are we calling freestyle cyphers "pure rapping" nowadays?  Semantics maybe, but prewritten stuff occupies about 90% of my library...

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Don't even listen to the lyrics or look for a message in what they are saying.

;D

I must be really old.  Because no matter what the genre...If they are lyrics, they should be coherent.

Beam me up.   

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Anyone even gonna metion Primo spinning the beat? Talk about 4 legends...

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 05:45:23 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
Don't even listen to the lyrics or look for a message in what they are saying.

;D

I must be really old.  Because no matter what the genre...If they are lyrics, they should be coherent.

Beam me up.   

Mehh...as long as its expressive, Im into it. Think of it as scatting in Jazz. Just a pure form of feeling music ans expressing it. I wish I could do it so I wouldnt knock any music really.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thought Eminem and Mos Def were awesome and Black Thought not so much. For battle style rap, I like the quick hitting rapid flow and Black Thought went with a long story telling flow that was not what I like from this style.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
Thought Eminem and Mos Def were awesome and Black Thought not so much. For battle style rap, I like the quick hitting rapid flow and Black Thought went with a long story telling flow that was not what I like from this style.

I was disappointed by black thought as well considering his battle skills are on point usually (see the roots - web).