Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 240411 times)

Re: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)
« Reply #1605 on: January 03, 2019, 04:14:05 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Stevens says Robert Williams (groin) is making good progress and should be back “shortly.”

Twitter link

« Reply #1606 on: January 03, 2019, 04:24:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stevens says Robert Williams (groin) is making good progress and should be back “shortly.”

Twitter link
Good news. The team can use another big right now

« Reply #1607 on: January 04, 2019, 08:29:14 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Joel Embid and Simmons  sat out  2 years for Embid and one year for Simmons
.I think bringing Robert along slowly while having him along on trips and maybe sending him for a run in Maine when we are home.Pick and choose his spots and teams to increase his time against some teams.All the while shooting with coaches and hitting the weight room .Why rush a kid with that leaping ability till he is comfortable and strong enough to not damage himself.Question?Does he still have his personal coach?

Bring Kevin McHale in for some private workouts give it some press
Emphasize the grooming and teaching vs throwing a young big into the fire against grown men asking too much of their bodies.Feature benefits of learning to be a NBA player,the work ethic and the teaching.Rather than minutes.
Kevin McHale was unstoppable.Keven Garnet or even Dave Cowens  could have a place in this promotion.
The Celts are desperate for a center,post Horford. So lets make one.

« Reply #1608 on: January 04, 2019, 09:15:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I disagree Rollie. Embiid and Simmons sat out due to serious injury, not because they couldn’t contribute early. I’m sure they both would have had great first year rookie seasons had they not been injured.

This team desperately needs the inside athleticism and length of Williams. Yes he is raw and may cost us a few games in the process. But the fastest learning curve is NBA minutes.

Our regular season placement in the standings is unlikely to improve dramatically so, in the words of Kawhi Leonard, let’s treat the regular season as training camp for the playoffs, during which our team unit can develop chemistry. And have Time Lord ready to serve meaningfully post season. Because without that added weapon of interior length, I’m skeptical this team can do much in the playoffs.

« Reply #1609 on: January 04, 2019, 11:39:20 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I disagree Rollie. Embiid and Simmons sat out due to serious injury, not because they couldn’t contribute early. I’m sure they both would have had great first year rookie seasons had they not been injured.

This team desperately needs the inside athleticism and length of Williams. Yes he is raw and may cost us a few games in the process. But the fastest learning curve is NBA minutes.

Our regular season placement in the standings is unlikely to improve dramatically so, in the words of Kawhi Leonard, let’s treat the regular season as training camp for the playoffs, during which our team unit can develop chemistry. And have Time Lord ready to serve meaningfully post season. Because without that added weapon of interior length, I’m skeptical this team can do much in the playoffs.
Agreed on almost everything here, but I only differ on the prospect that Williams can be a meaningful contributor in the playoffs this post-season.

« Reply #1610 on: January 04, 2019, 01:07:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Agreed on almost everything here, but I only differ on the prospect that Williams can be a meaningful contributor in the playoffs this post-season.
I agree. Williams won't be a consistent enough player to be a meaningful playoff contributor. But maybe he gets used like Doc used Big Baby in the 2008 Finals run. 

Basically stick him in there and if in two minutes he isn't contributing, sit him and try the next game. But if he is contributing, leave him in there. Doc got a lot of good basketball out of youngsters Powe and Davis by doing that in that 2008 title run.

« Reply #1611 on: January 04, 2019, 03:13:59 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Towel waver for the Playoffs!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:00:09 AM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #1612 on: January 05, 2019, 04:58:10 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Obviously, Embid and Simmons sat out injured but that doesn't change the being around the team and
 adjusting to NBA lifestyle-i read Simmons watched lots of film and would call the bench while games were being played to ask questions.He also spent a year in gym.I watched Embid just shooting in individual workouts for what seemed forever.

The point  was big young guys pushing their bodies too soon against grown men thus leading to injuries.
Being comfortable with offensive and defensive sets takes time,lots of film and watching from bench
If you noticed, i stated he would get game time depending on match ups and only go to Maine to get a run and then straight back.
The Suns are not doing well throwing bigs out there as young rookies.Bender,Chriss

Aron Gordon,Julius Randle ,Nerlens Noel Embid,Simmons,Fultz,Okafor,Marcus Smart,Jabari Parker,Exum, Winslow,Rondae Hollis Jefferson,Larry Nance, Vonleh, Jonathon Issac -all of these guys had major injuries rookie year
Williams already had pre season knee injury.

Simmons came on like a vet his rookie season because he in essence was .If he had just summer league and pre season being slender with no outside shot ,poor free throw ,no experience playing defense against NBA players and Embid was still really raw as a real rookie.

I am possibly way off base and prejudiced by the number of star rookies going down with serious injuries in first year.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 05:10:22 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #1613 on: January 07, 2019, 07:16:55 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
time lord's back guys

« Reply #1614 on: January 07, 2019, 07:31:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
time lord's back guys

i was having Time Lord withdrawals  :D

« Reply #1615 on: January 07, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
time lord's back guys

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!

« Reply #1616 on: January 07, 2019, 07:40:50 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
time lord's back guys

Maybe he just came back from the future.

« Reply #1617 on: January 08, 2019, 01:06:00 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
time lord's back guys

i was having Time Lord withdrawals  :D

4 mins, all cured

« Reply #1618 on: January 09, 2019, 09:23:31 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker