Author Topic: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade  (Read 111430 times)

Re: ESPN: Celtics and Mavs discussing Rondo trade
« Reply #225 on: December 18, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

CelticsBlog @celticsblog  ·  47m
Add the Pacers to the list of teams bidding - per --> RT @sam_amick: At USAT: A look at the Rajon Rondo sweepstakes http://usat.ly/1AJIbWt

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/12/18/rajon-rondo-trade-boston-celtics-dallas-mavericks-los-angeles-lakers-sacramento-kings-houston-rockets-indiana-pacers/20575105/

Any thoughts on what pieces a potential Indiana package would comprise?
Hill and picks? They really got nothing, and I doubt they'll swap Hibbert for Rondo. But Hibbert + picks for Rondo and Olynyk wouldn't be half bad.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #226 on: December 18, 2014, 10:48:58 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I do not trust PER, either. But it suffices as shorthand.
Except one of the known flaws of the PER shorthand is that it is not reliable in short minutes. Wright has never played more  than 19 mpg so evaluating him based on his PER is kind of worthless.

Nice framing with "never played more", seeing how he's also never played less than 18-19 minutes a game with Dallas the last four years, either. And "19" is kind of like "$19.99" here, in that it's essentially 20 minutes. 20 minutes, a nice rounded number, does not feel like "short minutes" nearly as much, does it? Especially when it's been evenly spread across 4 seasons, about 200 games, and about 3500 total minutes. PER, if it is useful, is useful precisely to be able to measure the performance of players like Wright. So, pretty much the exact opposite of the point you tried to make.

The bottom line is that he's already 27, he's more undersized than any of our other undersized bigs, and will  generally be redundant on our roster.

"Already", more nice framing. He just turned 27 this October. He'll still be 27 around the time training camp rolls around next year. He's also a young 27, in terms of career minutes, and his performance is getting better, not yet hitting a plateau.

He's not undersized in terms of height, since his vertical is about 40 inches and his wingspan is about 7'5", which...how many other players in the league have that combination? His physique could get heavier, maybe. That's what teams have a nutritionist and a gym for.

He's only redundant right now, today. Bass isn't in our plans if Rondo goes. Now we're talking Sullinger, Wright, Olynyk, Zeller. Four big men...that's frontcourt redundancy? If so, not one of the others could serve as trade bait for another pick or player? And if Wright sustains his per-minute performance full-time, he wouldn't be the most valuable?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #227 on: December 18, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Rondo for Monroe, filler and a first looks great right now. But seems Rondo wants a warm income tax free state to give resign assurances.

« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Can Houston land Stephenson, or Monroe with their first rounder ?

They have some youth....Capela, Jones.

They have the Pelicans 1st rounder.

Rondo for Stephenson, Jones, Capela, & the Pelicans first rounder.

« Reply #229 on: December 18, 2014, 10:53:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If Brandan Wright is so good, why has he been at 18 MPG for Dallas for a full three years?

He's Leon Powe with more length. A devasting offensive garbage man who doesn't do much else well but he doesn't try to do more.

« Reply #230 on: December 18, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondo for Monroe, filler and a first looks great right now. But seems Rondo wants a warm income tax free state to give resign assurances.

+1. I really do believe he is open for an extension with the mavs or rockets only

Danny and one of these teams will get a deal done soon. Everything else is related in needing a third team help with the tradr . Maybe he wants to see who is interested in wright, felton plus etc for another trade

« Reply #231 on: December 18, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Cavs could use a guy like wright upfront. Felton would be a decent backup to irving

In the end we could end up getting back something like this

Waiters, dallas 2015 1st, option to swap 2017  1st

For Rondo

« Reply #232 on: December 18, 2014, 11:01:55 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
If this does go down in the next few days, put me in the group excited to see Smart get healthy and run this team for the rest of the season...

Hopefully James Young will get healthy soon and start logging some minutes.  C's need to position themselves at the top of the lottery again...

« Reply #233 on: December 18, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Except one of the known flaws of the PER shorthand is that it is not reliable in short minutes. Wright has never played more  than 19 mpg so evaluating him based on his PER is kind of worthless.

Nice framing with "never played more", seeing how he's also never played less than 18-19 minutes a game with Dallas the last four years, either. And "19" is kind of like "$19.99" here, in that it's essentially 20 minutes. 20 minutes, a nice rounded number, does not feel like "short minutes" nearly as much, does it? Especially when it's been evenly spread across 4 seasons, about 200 games, and about 3500 total minutes. PER, if it is useful, is useful precisely to be able to measure the performance of players like Wright. So, pretty much the exact opposite of the point you tried to make.

The bottom line is that he's already 27, he's more undersized than any of our other undersized bigs, and will  generally be redundant on our roster.

"Already", more nice framing. He just turned 27 this October. He'll still be 27 around the time training camp rolls around next year. He's also a young 27, in terms of career minutes, and his performance is getting better, not yet hitting a plateau.

He's not undersized in terms of height, since his vertical is about 40 inches and his wingspan is about 7'5", which...how many other players in the league have that combination? His physique could get heavier, maybe. That's what teams have a nutritionist and a gym for.

He's only redundant right now, today. Bass isn't in our plans if Rondo goes. Now we're talking Sullinger, Wright, Olynyk, Zeller. Four big men...that's frontcourt redundancy? If so, not one of the others could serve as trade bait for another pick or player? And if Wright sustains his per-minute performance full-time, he wouldn't be the most valuable?
It's only "framing" if you have no idea what you're taking about.

Wright has averaged between 18.0 and 18.7 mpg over his last three seasons (including the current one), and his career mpg is 15.9. That's not "essentially 20 minutes". In fact, he didn't even play 800 minutes in a single season until his 5th year in the league.

And yes, he's 27 already. He may also be 27 at the start of next year, but that's beside the point. The real framing comes from people that are trying to present him as some sort of young, up-and-coming prospect that may develop into a starting center down the road.

As it was mentioned, Wright is what he is -- a decent player who can give you a shot in the arm under the right circumstances, but has been a career backup so far. Make of this what you will.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #234 on: December 18, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It's only "framing" if you have no idea what you're taking about.

You're the best.  ;D

Also, the rest of your post is spot on, koz. I just wanted to highlight this because it made me chuckle.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #235 on: December 18, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
This pretty much what I feel like with any Rondo deal -

Follow

RussilloVerified account
?@ryenarussillo
Price paid for Rondo was never going to be that great. 1. League is loaded w/PGs 2. Good teams don't trade you a core piece for your "star."

Russillo @ryenarussillo  ·  53s 54 seconds ago
3. He only seems interested in assists currently. Good player, special in certain ways, but never one of the best at his position.

« Reply #236 on: December 18, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Follow

RussilloVerified account
?@ryenarussillo
Price paid for Rondo was never going to be that great. 1. League is loaded w/PGs 2. Good teams don't trade you a core piece for your "star."

It's nice that people are finally catching up to where we were on this blog at least 2 years ago.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #237 on: December 18, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Follow

RussilloVerified account
?@ryenarussillo

It's nice that people are finally catching up to where we were on this blog at least 2 years ago.  ;D
You didn't really expect sports radio talking heads to know anything about sports, did you? Their job is to stir the pot, field calls and be generally abrasive. The next time I heard any useful commentary during my commute would be the first.

« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's Leon Powe with more length.

That would not be a bad thing in my book.  I loved how Leon Battled and he'd been a perfect center with three more inches of height or so.

« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Follow

RussilloVerified account
?@ryenarussillo

You didn't really expect sports radio talking heads to really know anything about sports, did you? Their job is to stir the pot and field calls. The next time I heard any useful commentary during my commute would be the first.

Likewise -- which is a little disconcerting, since my commute is me talking to myself from my bed to my desk.