Author Topic: Greatest Sports Franchise in the World  (Read 10748 times)

Greatest Sports Franchise in the World
« on: July 10, 2018, 05:28:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
opinions please. I am tired of hearing the talking heads on Fox/Espn continually refer to the Lakers as the greatest sport's franchise in the world. If I had to choose I probably choose a soccer team followed by a baseball team, followed by a football team then the Celtics.

ManU/Arsenal/Real Madrid

Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox

Cowboys/Green Bay/Redskins.

Celtics/Lakers/Knicks

Sure my list is controversial..... what say you?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:32:14 PM by Ogaju »

Re: Greatest Sports Franchise in the World
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 05:30:20 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
No Patriots? :-\
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 06:01:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would agree that a soccer franchise would be number 1 and also number 2. Probably Real Madrid and ManU. Then I think its the Yankees. Then probably the Celtics. The Cowboys would definitely be the top football franchise.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 06:02:07 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don’t know anything about soccer, but those are the three most popular teams so I assume they are all great.

I don’t see how any baseball team comes close to the Yankees. They are the greatest MLB franchise without question.

Football is more interesting, where you have the Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, and Patriots all qualified imo.

Basketball only has two options, Celtics and Lakers. And since 17 is more than 16, there you have it.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The most valuable according to Forbes.  As of 2016.

1. Dallas Cowboys, $4 billion
2. Real Madrid, $3.7 billion
3. FC Barcelona, $3.6 billion
4. New York Yankees, $3.4 billion
5. Manchester United, $3.3 billion
6. New England Patriots, $3.2 billion
7. New York Knicks, $3 billion
8. Washington Redskins, $2.9 billion
9. New York Giants, $2.8 billion
10. Los Angeles Lakers, $2.7 billion

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2016/07/13/dallas-cowboys-head-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-of-2016/#2a5a136f330a

The Red Sox came in at #18 at $2.3 billion.
The Celtics came in at #22 at $2.1 billion.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:02:31 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
opinions please. I am tired of hearing the talking heads on Fox/Espn coninualy refer to the Lakers as the greatest sport's franchise in the world. If I had to choose I probably choose a soccer team followed by a baseball team, followed by a football team then the Celtics.

ManU/Arsenal/Real Madrid

Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox

Celtics/Lakers/Knicks

If by greatest you mean the most followed/famous, then it has to be a soccer club. Football is non existant outside the US, whereas soccer is hands down the most popular sport in pretty much every country around the world.

(larger image here)
https://i.redd.it/s29g6gl1h6oy.jpg

My pick would be Real Madrid (although personally speaking I hate them). It's worth mentioning that they have an active basketball department as well (that's the team Luka Doncic was playing for). They are the reigning european champions in both soccer and basketball.

Btw Arsenal? ;D I'm not even sure they are the greatest sports franchise in London (much less in the world)!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 07:29:52 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 07:47:25 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
opinions please. I am tired of hearing the talking heads on Fox/Espn coninualy refer to the Lakers as the greatest sport's franchise in the world. If I had to choose I probably choose a soccer team followed by a baseball team, followed by a football team then the Celtics.

ManU/Arsenal/Real Madrid

Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox

Celtics/Lakers/Knicks

Definitely not Arsenal....
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 08:35:36 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

ManU/Arsenal/Real Madrid

Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox

Celtics/Lakers/Knicks

Folks I do not like Arsenal but you got to give it to the most storied franchise in arguably the most popular soccer league in the world.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 08:53:09 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don’t follow soccer, but I have no doubt the great teams are the greatest, due to soccer’s wide appeal.  So, mine are:
Yankees
Celtics
Patriots
(P.s., I am a Red Sox fan, but acknowledge the Yankees as greatest of all time)

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 08:53:33 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

ManU/Arsenal/Real Madrid

Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox

Celtics/Lakers/Knicks

Folks I do not like Arsenal but you got to give it to the most storied franchise in arguably the most popular soccer league in the world.
How is Arsenal the most storied franchise in England? Best case scenario they are 3rd, behind Liverpool and Man Utd (or vise versa).

Man Utd have won a record 20 league titles, Liverpool 18, Arsenal 13. Not to mention, Arsenal have never won the Champions League/European Cup (the most prestigious title in european football).

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Funny that neither tennis nor golf are a top sport anywhere despite having such worldwide appeal (well, mostly).

And, I get it, soccer is the most popular sport in the world and I really do try to like it, but is there any doubt that basketball and American Football are clearly more entertaining? Like, I am sure I am biased being from the States, but I had pretty equal access to all sports growing up and I can't understand soccer's wild popularity. If the field were like half the size with more scoring and actual contact/action, perhaps it would make a lot more sense to me.

As for the OP's question, I will take people's word for it on soccer. I will go with Yankees for baseball, Celtics for basketball, Patriots for football, and let's polish it off with Tiger for golf (because nobody has even remotely touched his level of popularity since).

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 09:33:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Who are these talking heads and what exactly are they saying?  I want links, quotes, names, etc. not just vague references to things.

For example, on July 4th Cowherd did his 10 biggest sports brands in America.  The Lakers were not #1.  https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1014668894873612288?s=19  He went by brand which is different than great of course, but still Lakers didn't top it (and they are probably a bigger brand than greater franchise right now)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 09:37:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Just throwing this out there

http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10

https://graphics.wsj.com/table/COUNT_09212017

I also would point out some of the colleges, similarly to some NBA or NHL franchises and what, have state of the art facilities that can also easily have concerts, conventions, etc

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 09:45:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The NFL is still by far the league that generates the most revenue.  MLB is 2, the NBA is 3,  the Premier League is 4th with the NHL 5th.  So if you folow.the money the Cowboys is the obvious answer
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Who are these talking heads and what exactly are they saying?  I want links, quotes, names, etc. not just vague references to things.

For example, on July 4th Cowherd did his 10 biggest sports brands in America.  The Lakers were not #1.  https://twitter.com/TheHerd/status/1014668894873612288?s=19  He went by brand which is different than great of course, but still Lakers didn't top it (and they are probably a bigger brand than greater franchise right now)

No vague reference here. It was mentioned today on Fox Radio I dont know the name of the talking head. It sounded like Jalen Rose, but I doubt that Jalen Rose would appear on the Fox channel so it may have been someone else.