Author Topic: Should GS trade Durant?  (Read 2434 times)

Re: Should GS trade Durant?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I’ll just say Durant would be an idiot for leaving. They can win multiple more rings.  Better for us of course if he does leave.

I don't believe this is necessarily true.  Isn't it all relative to his own desires and career goals?  Nobody can take the titles away but the narrative that Durant took the easy path will always remain.  Winning one ring with a new organization and lesser supporting cast would enhance his individual legacy more than winning 2 or 3 more with the Warriors.

At the end of the day there isn't a right or wrong.  I just think Durant's legacy would be more complete if he elevated a franchise that hadn't already won a championship.  Imagine if he knocked off his former teammates in the process?

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
If the belief really is he is gone, then should GS just trade him now to move on early and get value for him. And if so who would be interested and what would the return be?

Wouldn't it just be better to win the ring first, then decide later? I still feel like this has been all overblown out of proportion.
well you cant decide later and still get something for him. I believe he does have to consent to any trade though so it may be moot anyway.  And he cant be traded until December 15 even if he does consent and by then all may be well.

But just for fun here are some interesting trades which Durant may sign off on

Washington for Porter, Oubre
New York for Hardaway, Ntkilina, Knox
LA Clippers for Harris, Gortat, draft capital
LA Lakers for Ingram, KCP, filler

Obviously no one as good as Durant but all trades that keep the Warriors as the title favorite (yes even against the Lakers)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 01:22:31 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
If the belief really is he is gone, then should GS just trade him now to move on early and get value for him. And if so who would be interested and what would the return be?

I thought the same thing.   Imagine if they traded DC and KD to NO for AD ~   

Curry, Klay, Dray and AD ~   I would!    NO would have to ask for an extension or picks.   

I was hoping Boston would clear some space or maybe trade Gordon Hayward for him this year.    Clears the deck in Boston and gives us a chance to win this year.  Even if KD was a rental.   
Diggles

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
What's the trade value for a snake these days?
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 06:16:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
The Warriors just aren't the same without Curry.  He is clearly and by far their most valuable player (even if in a vacuum Durant is probably better).  Given that, I think they really should look at moving Durant if they can get him to sign off on it.  They have like a month to get him to that point, but the Warriors are a chemistry mess and it is all Durant's fault.  If he is gone, they should absolutely get something for him that keeps them in that favorite status.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 06:49:44 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
For his trade value, look at the Kawhi Leonard trade. Really doesn’t get closer than that. Getting a lesser star that is locked up cheaper for multiple years would still probably net GSW a title this year and make resigning Draymond and Thompson easier. We don’t know the details of the problem so it’s hard to speculate (how much this is hurting the team). Just saying plan B doesn’t sound terrible.

The obvious trade is for Bradley Beal. He has a good contract, you ship Durant to the east to his hometown, Wizards suck so they’d roll the dice on a shakeup. Just move Klay to the 3. Still think they easily win title.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:03:30 AM by Erik »

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The Warriors just aren't the same without Curry.  He is clearly and by far their most valuable player (even if in a vacuum Durant is probably better).  Given that, I think they really should look at moving Durant if they can get him to sign off on it.  They have like a month to get him to that point, but the Warriors are a chemistry mess and it is all Durant's fault.  If he is gone, they should absolutely get something for him that keeps them in that favorite status.

I agree 100%.  Curry's combination of ball handling and limitless range cannot be replicated by any player in the league, at least not yet.  Durant has been the Warriors closer during these title runs, but there's no doubt that Curry gives him the freedom to play with far less resistance from opposing defenses.   

Durant leaving would also be best for the NBA.  The Warriors could still retool with their original trio.  Personally I would enjoy watching them try to win a title against a league full of teams that has adapted to their style of play.  Hopefully KD doesn't form some ridiculous team with LeBron.  I'm cool with just about anything other than that.