Author Topic: 2 items for Bob Day  (Read 11620 times)

Re: 2 items for Bob Day
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 10:04:35 PM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
I hope all these breadcrumb links allow us  enjoy talking  about the third coming of Toine without having to read all the flak against the matter.
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 10:51:56 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I hope all these breadcrumb links allow us  enjoy talking  about the third coming of Toine without having to read all the flak against the matter.
Now there's an idea. Setup an apparent breadcrumb trail that doesn't have anything to do with linear pathways, but could lead anywhere.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 12:31:29 AM »

Offline Reyquila

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
  • Let them hate, as long as they fear
Roberto, you are the master of the Non-Sequitur. El Maestro! You better not forget your Spanish, lol
And someday in the midst of time,
When they ask you if you knew me
Remember that you were a friend of mine

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 01:04:12 AM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
all your guys fancy lingo confuse me,i should never have clicked on this post

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 01:47:23 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
As far as #2 (and Bob can answer this on his own accord, of course), there were various options available that Bob brought to the staff, and we chose the current system of going to the most recent post when you click the link.

If you'd prefer starting at the beginning of a thread, I'd encourage you to use the "Recent Posts" option in the Members Menu in the upper left.  That allows you to select which page of a particular thread you'd like to go to, including the first page.

I just want to mention that I still dislike the "Latest Topic Posts" feature jumping to the most recent post in the thread.  I've seen you suggest a few times to use the "recent posts" page, Roy, but I think if you did a usability test with most posters you'd find that people generally are going to be drawn to those "latest topic posts" on the left simply because they are constantly visible regardless of whatever page you go to.   Like right now, my eye glances over and I see some thread "Gomes resigns with Minny" and I can't help but click on it.   The fact that it jumps to the most recent post in the thread is actually rather annoying, because 99.9% of the time I find myself doing an extra click so I can get to the first page.   It's not that big of a deal, but when things slow down or if I'm on a connection that is weaker, it's definitely annoying. 

I liked the idea someone mentioned of giving someone the option.  Clicking on the topic would bring you to the first page... click on (recent) would bring you to the most recent post.   But I'm not sure how difficult that would be.

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
LB33, we used to have an old Latest Topic Posts module that took people to the first post of the thread and most folks around here couldn't stand it. Then we had one that showed individual posts regardless of the thread and most people couldn't stand it either. What we needed was one that features links to both the first post and the last post but none existed for Joomla running SMF forums (still doesn't).

I started developing one sometime back but due to lack of time and its relative unimportance compared to some other things around here, I never got it completed. However, now though it is fairly certain we won't be using SMF much longer but will rather be moving to phpBB3 due to SMF licensing issues.

So rather than restarting work on the SMF module I was building, I would prefer to save that effort for finding or creating a nice phpBB3 module that will do all of what we want. phpBB3 is as good or better than even what SMF2 will be. It will be quite different in some ways from what we are used to though so my focus will be on making the transition as painless as possible. Naturally, having a nice recent topics module will be a big part of that.
Yo no soy para el delicado!