Author Topic: 2 items for Bob Day  (Read 11619 times)

2 items for Bob Day
« on: June 10, 2008, 08:19:12 AM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
Hi Bob,

just 2 quick items:

1) the bread crumbs at the top of the forumn aren't links (XP/Mozilla FF 1.0.7, haven't tried IE yet).

2) I find the "Latest topic posts" difficult as they jump to the most recent post. I think it could be fixed by doing the following (I'm happy to volunteer as I've done a bunch of Joomla modules/components/plug-ins in the past).

--> Clicking the "*" brings you to the most recent post (current behavior)
--> Clicking the title of the thread brings you to first post (It should be as simple as parsing/stripping everything after the anchor point ("#") in the link.)

This way everyone is happy.

Let me know what you think and or if you want to take me up on the offer to do it. All I need is a zipped folder of the module.

Re: 2 items for Bob Day
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:23:58 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
regarding #1, there are bread crumb links at the very top of the page - just under the menu
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
Yeah I see that they are present but not actually links in FF or IE...

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 08:27:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
As far as #2 (and Bob can answer this on his own accord, of course), there were various options available that Bob brought to the staff, and we chose the current system of going to the most recent post when you click the link.

If you'd prefer starting at the beginning of a thread, I'd encourage you to use the "Recent Posts" option in the Members Menu in the upper left.  That allows you to select which page of a particular thread you'd like to go to, including the first page.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
Jeff - You're right, I didn't know which "menu" you were talking about. The breadcrumbs are there/working

Roy - I understand it can be accomplished via the method you mentioned but it must be a commone occurance that users such as myself click the topics from the front page and have to navigate / scroll up to the top of the thread at least 2 or 3 times a visit.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Roy - I understand it can be accomplished via the method you mentioned but it must be a commone occurance that users such as myself click the topics from the front page and have to navigate / scroll up to the top of the thread at least 2 or 3 times a visit.

I was one of the members of the staff who made the decision with the current system, so I hope I'm not stepping on Bob's toes too much.

I think most of our users are repeat visitors; most of them make hundreds of clicks on the website each day.  With either system, you're going to most likely have to do some scrolling, either upward (to see those posts that were jumped past) or downward (to go by the posts that you've inevitably already read). 

The current system gives posters a chance to jump directly to the most recent discussion, so that they don't have to navigate past posts they're likely to have already read.  Obviously, for less obsessive / more casual members, they may have to do a lot more scrolling upward.  That's why we encourage the use of the Members Menu, to accommodate this problem.

Certainly, we're always interested in hearing about what works best for the membership, so we'd encourage others to weigh in on this topic.  Feedback never hurts.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 08:55:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Just as a viewpoint from the common rabble, I much prefer the system as it is now, as I want to view recent posts first, in order to be able to jump from topic-to-topic and remain up-to-date, and be involved in the current discussion. I think that's preferrable for most, and I can't imagine having to start at the beginning each time I change threads.

If I do need to view the original post, it's easy enough to do so. If you're jumping from thread-to-thread, it really makes little sense to have to start at the beginning each time, and view the primary post again and again. I'm pretty confident that most here do the same, and that management has definitely made the right call on this one.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:40:13 AM »

Offline shahpound

• The Green Kornet
Fair enough. I was proposing that both methods be allowed depending on where you click. I wasn't suggesting eliminating jumping to the most recent post, but rather adding the option to see the begining of a thread as well.

If I'm in the minority, it's a moot point.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:54:17 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Fair enough. I was proposing that both methods be allowed depending on where you click. I wasn't suggesting eliminating jumping to the most recent post, but rather adding the option to see the begining of a thread as well.

Ah, gotcha.  In that case, I'm all in favor of additional customization and offering more choice, and if it's possible, I'll leave it to you experts.

(I thought that for a time we had a "jump to top of page" option, but I'm not seeing it.  Could be I'm blind, or I'm misremembering, or it was disabled for good cause.  You can, of course, navigate to the first page in a thread by clicking the page number you want to go to in the lower left.)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:58:17 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
what the hell is a bread crumb link? :-\

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

They look like this:

CelticBlog Forums > CelticsBlog > Using CelticsBlog > 2 items for Bob Day

They allow you to retrace your steps, like breadcrumbs ala Hansel and Gretel.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Ah, gotcha.  In that case, I'm all in favor of additional customization and offering more choice, and if it's possible, I'll leave it to you experts.

(I thought that for a time we had a "jump to top of page" option, but I'm not seeing it.  Could be I'm blind, or I'm misremembering, or it was disabled for good cause.  You can, of course, navigate to the first page in a thread by clicking the page number you want to go to in the lower left.)

Isn't that the way the default is set up? If I recall correctly, I had to change it under my profile preferences when I first joined in order to get it to go to the most recent post first, before that, it would always bring up the original post first.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

They look like this:

i see. thanks.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 08:51:55 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
A couple of notes on this. Yes, we have two breadcrumb trails aka pathways. The one in the main site works, the on in the forums is just an indicator. It is set up that way due to conflicts between the way the main site and forums work. The two appear to be one, but they aren't. They are two separate pieces of software I merged into one here. That's why they seem so seamless. It isn't a perfect marriage though. We should have the pathway issue resolved in CB5.

As for the left column module that lists recent forum posts, there wasn't one available that made it possible to visit either the first or the last made, and I didn't have time to make one. So I threw together what we have here which is what most folks wanted at the time and was not too tough to do in short order. This is also another issue that will disappear with CB5. There's no such module available for what we'll be running then at all, but I'll come up with sumpum.

For the time being I recommend using the Recent Posts link in your members menu. That will give you all the viewing options you'll ever need and way more. It is a thing of beauty. The updated topics link in the same menu will do the same thing for threads you've posted in. There's no better way to track what's going on in these forums than to use those two links. By comparison, what that side column module does is  minimal to the point of hardly worth using. Anyway, we'll see what we can do with the next CB site.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 09:20:50 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

They look like this:

disclaimer:  Celtics Blog and its management are not responsible if your breadcrumbs lead you to a witch's house who wants to feed you well then eat you.
Yup