Author Topic: 90 seconds  (Read 7071 times)

90 seconds
« on: May 25, 2008, 09:37:23 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Just to vent here for a second... I hate the 90 second delay thing on CB, because you will have typed an awesome post or something (sometimes mine are awesome, you have to admit it) then you hit post, and the error message comes up saying you've posted within 90 seconds.  This usually happens when I look at posts, then log in to respond to one. So now you have to retype what you typed, and its never as good the second time, like afterschool leftovers, and it makes you ornery, so when someone says Todd Day was the best player of the 90s Celtics, you go off on him, get banned, become depressed, turn to the streets, rob a bank, go to prison, get out 20 years later, the celts have won like 6 titles, you haven't seen any of them.... man this 90 second thing needs to go...
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: 90 seconds
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:42:13 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It's a necessary evil... I would say this, it would be nice if there was a way for you not to lose your post once this error kicks in.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:17:04 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's a necessary evil... I would say this, it would be nice if there was a way for you not to lose your post once this error kicks in.

I hate that too (and yes, this happens to the staff, as well), but I don't think it's possible to keep the message.  This happens with both the 90 second rule, as well as when a topic is merged when you're responding.  I understand the frustration.

In terms of the 90 second thing going away, Bob Day can explain more, but as BC says, it's a necessary evil.  Server load has been extremely high during the playoffs, and this is one way to control that from a technical end.

The most common complaint we get is that people can't post when they first sign on.  Just wait 90 seconds between logging in and responding to your first thread, and things should be fine.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:01:09 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
The current 90 posting limit is a form of "flood control" we are using right now to slow down activity on the site. We'll most likely leave it on all through the playoffs because even though we don't normally need it now except prior, during and after games, we are getting a lot of big visitation and activity surges now anytime there is significant breaking news...and of course we don't know when news is going to break do we?

Normally we have a 30 second flood control in place and that works so well that hardly anyone ever even notices it is going on. The two things about how these forums (SMF) handle flood control that are especially irritating though is first, that SMF does count your login as a form of post. So, you have to wait 90 seconds from the time you login before you make a post but SMF doesn't tell you that. Instead it gives you a confusing message indicating that you've already posted once in 90 seconds when of course, you haven't.

Secondly, SMF views an attempt to post as a post. So, if you attempt to make a post and SMF says you haven't waited long enough, a new 90 seconds begins with that latest attempt. SMF doesn't tell yo that either. It just gives the same irrelevant message you got before. Actually flood control usually includes control of posting that includes both logins and posting attempts as well as actual posting but the problem with SMF is that it doesn't tell you those things. Anyway, this is a problem we won't have too much longer.

As for losing posts, anybody who has done any posting at all on the internet should know to copy their work before they click a submit or preview button. Loosing what you write because you didn't do that is not the fault of CelticsBlog nor is it our problem. Many, many things can keep your post from being processed properly on any website. So if you care anything about what you wrote and want to make sure you don't loose it, then at least copy what you've written before you try to submit it.

If what you have written is really important to you, then write it up in a email draft or text editor and save your work there as you develop it. Then copy and paste it here in a forum post when you are ready to publish it. I say these things because people need to make a habit of copying and saving their work as it may be needed. If they do that, they will almost never lose anything unless it is due to a software or computer crash, or to a power outage.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 11:16:51 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i love celtics blog, probably could not get through my day without it. but i have been having problems with the "notify me of replies". i do not get an email when someone replies to a thread in which i am involved. anyone else have this problem?
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 12:02:22 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
i love celtics blog, probably could not get through my day without it. but i have been having problems with the "notify me of replies". i do not get an email when someone replies to a thread in which i am involved. anyone else have this problem?
Two things to check:

1. Aside from ticking the checkbox on posts you make, check in your forums profile to make sure that it shows you are being notified of everything you want. It should all be in there under "Notifications and Email". In your case conner, your settings indicate that you are to "Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply." You might want to deselect that option.

2. Also, everyone needs to make sure email notifications being sent to you are not getting caught by some spam-blocker/filter/catcher/trapper -- whatever yours is called, or other spam fighting software used by whatever email account and/or email program you are using. To my knowledge all email functions of CelticsBlog are working just fine.

In fact, in every instance I know of that folks were not getting email they should from CB, it has been because those emails were getting blocked by some spam or other email filtering/blocking setup on their end of things. There's nothing I can do about that. You have to approve email from CelticsBlog in those filters in order for it to get to you.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 04:02:36 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
Just a note to let everyone know that today I set the set the 90-second flood control back to our default 30 seconds. That should greatly reduce, if not eliminate, all of you encountering time limits here due to forum posting and such. I also shortened text of the error message one gets when posting in the forums so hopefully now if you do get that warning, it will display properly.

The server is still experiencing fairly high loads for extended periods of time, but at least it isn't getting killed right now. It is still good practice though to show some self-restraint when using this site. So please try to refrain from hitting your browser's refresh button ten times a second and posting posting every few seconds. If people can do that we'll leave the flood control setting low.

Thanks and enjoy!

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:05:26 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
tp - you're a legend.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
thank you. i can now post again! haha what happens is that i read many topics at once, sign in and then post. its a habit of mine but yes, thank you.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 04:11:53 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • El Webmaster Romántico
thank you. i can now post again! haha what happens is that i read many topics at once, sign in and then post. its a habit of mine but yes, thank you.
Yep, that's another bad habit apparently many of us have. Hit 'Recent Posts' and then cherry-pick about ten links at a time to open in new browser tabs within five seconds. I've done it myself. It's a killer when you have about five or six hundred people doing it at once...or a couple of hundred with another three or four hundred clicking 'refresh' at ten times a second and screaming "COME ON!" LOL