Author Topic: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread  (Read 19799 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown appreciation thread
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2024, 05:57:47 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 562
55% from the field in these playoffs. Very good defense. Low turnovers. He's been exactly what you want from a #2.

My only complaint: Hit free throws! 18 of 33 from the line. I swear he shoots better on his turn around mid rangers than he does from the free throw line. Its baffling.

« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2024, 06:07:08 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
I have always been an "appreciator" of Brown, all the more lately.  There has been a lot of talk that Marcus Smart being so vocal was somehow preventing Tatum from leading or was somehow making it harder on the coach.  I don't really buy that in general.  But I will say that with Marcus taken out of the equation and Porzingis being added to the equation, there has been a difference in Brown.  It has been all season but it has been really apparent to me in the playoffs.  This may have nothing to do with Smart, it may just be all about Jaylen Brown coming of age, so to speak, but there is a difference.

But yeah, the free throws.  He just tightens up, kind of rushes.  Tatum kind of rushes sometimes too.  So 15 missed FTs in 8 playoff games?  Surprised they are not fouling him more.

« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2024, 07:52:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3029
  • On To Banner 18!
FTs still an issue. The dribbling isn't perfect.

BUT Jaylen overall looks way more dialed in this postseason than he has in previous ones. Not to say he's been bad in all of the recent ones but there was sometimes stuff "lacking" and at times he's been complacent and looked clumsy. I don't sense that this postseason so far. He's been aggressive and in a game like last night, very efficient and hit some clutch buckets for us in the 4th.

I also loved seeing him motivate Tatum when they had him "mic'd" up on ABC, regardless what the morons on radio/TV want to say I think both guys enjoy playing with each other and are chasing the same thing.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2024, 08:24:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Brown has been playing great, but I'd really like to see the team not play so much better when he is on the bench.  I mean in the playoffs Brown's on/off differential per 100 possessions is a whoopingly bad -19.8.  White is actually worse at -22.5, which isn't all that surprising given those 2 are both often on the floor together when Tatum and Jrue are on the bench (those 2 are both positive).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2024, 08:43:50 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2556
Brown has been playing great, but I'd really like to see the team not play so much better when he is on the bench.  I mean in the playoffs Brown's on/off differential per 100 possessions is a whoopingly bad -19.8.  White is actually worse at -22.5, which isn't all that surprising given those 2 are both often on the floor together when Tatum and Jrue are on the bench (those 2 are both positive).

Not sure what it was in G3 but seemed like the team was locked in when Brown was on the court.

« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2024, 09:08:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

And this is why I don't care about small sample sizes of on/off data. Because Brown and White have both been really good.

« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2024, 10:10:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

And this is why I don't care about small sample sizes of on/off data. Because Brown and White have both been really good.
But that doesn't mean the team isn't better when they are on the bench either.  And is 7 years really small sample sizes where Brown is concerned?

« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2024, 10:18:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

But that doesn't mean the team isn't better when they are on the bench either.  And is 7 years really small sample sizes where Brown is concerned?

But there isn't seven years of clear data pointing one direction. There's seven years of mixed data. In the seven seasons since his rookie year the on/off net for Brown has been negative 3 times, positive 2 times (including the title run year) and about neutral 2 times. He plays next to a +/- god in Tatum which probably doesn't help his on/off numbers. 

This year he's been good in the playoffs pretty clearly. I'm pretty comfortable saying that. So has Derick White. I'm fine in using +/- as a factor in evaluating player quality, but it's not all or most of what I care about.

« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2024, 10:30:40 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
My 2 cents. I’m really happy to have him on the Celtics. I’m sure most teams would love to have him.
Personally I think he gets a lot of grief about his turnovers. I don’t think he really turns it over so much as how ugly some of them are.
I’m okay with him handling the ball. The positive outweighs the negative in my opinion.

But, he really does need to do something about his free throw shooting. I mean the guy has such a sweet shot, it’s got to be in his head. That being said, missing free throws, especially in the 4th quarter, is unacceptable. It’s going to bite them in the butt one of these days.

« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2024, 10:34:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

But there isn't seven years of clear data pointing one direction. There's seven years of mixed data. In the seven seasons since his rookie year the on/off net for Brown has been negative 3 times, positive 2 times (including the title run year) and about neutral 2 times. He plays next to a +/- god in Tatum which probably doesn't help his on/off numbers. 

This year he's been good in the playoffs pretty clearly. I'm pretty comfortable saying that. So has Derick White. I'm fine in using +/- as a factor in evaluating player quality, but it's not all or most of what I care about.
Every season Brown has played in the playoffs with Tatum on the team he has a negative on/off differential per 100 possessions in the playoffs (even the title run season, the team was better with Brown on the bench in the playoffs).  And you have it wrong, because Tatum has been so good that should boost Brown, not the other way around.  Look at the Nuggets starters playing with Jokic.  Or the Bucks' starters next to Giannis.  etc.  sure you get a blip every once in awhile, but by and large starting and playing most of your minutes with a guy that dictates the flow like those guys, carries the numbers, which is why the drop off from Brown is particularly striking. 

« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2024, 10:52:10 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Every season Brown has played in the playoffs with Tatum on the team he has a negative on/off differential per 100 possessions in the playoffs (even the title run season, the team was better with Brown on the bench in the playoffs).  And you have it wrong, because Tatum has been so good that should boost Brown, not the other way around.  Look at the Nuggets starters playing with Jokic.  Or the Bucks' starters next to Giannis.  etc.  sure you get a blip every once in awhile, but by and large starting and playing most of your minutes with a guy that dictates the flow like those guys, carries the numbers, which is why the drop off from Brown is particularly striking.

An on/off net rating is about half how a team plays when you are OFF the court, namely when Brown is off and Tatum is the lead guy on bench units. Tatum is really good at that, Brown has not been, that's why Tatum is a better player. I don't hold that against Brown. 

Look, you are allowed to put whatever weight you want on whatever factors you want when watching basketball. I think Jaylen Brown is pretty good. Not elite, not like top 15, but he's played about as well as I'd expect a number two to play in the playoffs. If he plays like this all playoffs, I'd be pretty happy with that (except he needs to hit FT's).

« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2024, 02:51:36 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1500

An on/off net rating is about half how a team plays when you are OFF the court, namely when Brown is off and Tatum is the lead guy on bench units. Tatum is really good at that, Brown has not been, that's why Tatum is a better player. I don't hold that against Brown. 

Look, you are allowed to put whatever weight you want on whatever factors you want when watching basketball. I think Jaylen Brown is pretty good. Not elite, not like top 15, but he's played about as well as I'd expect a number two to play in the playoffs. If he plays like this all playoffs, I'd be pretty happy with that (except he needs to hit FT's).

On a more basic level, he has improved from last year's playoffs performance, at least so far.  Points per game are up to  24.1 a game his best ever playoff number (and it leads the team).   FG% in the playoffs 55.6% his best playoff % ever (and it leads the team).   3poing FG is ok, but could be a bit better at 35%.  Rebounds 6.8 per game (2nd behind Tatum), turnovers down from last year at 3.3 to this year at 2.5.  His defense has been very good most of the time in both series.   I just feel if he is leading the team in scoring, at the same time being the most efficient shooter, and his turnovers are down, and he is moving the ball when he should, then he is kind of doing what we all wanted him to do.  Get better.

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2024, 09:39:26 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Every GM would like a guy like JB. He can get downhill for easy layups, play defense, and create his own shot. Keep going JB!

« Reply #148 on: Yesterday at 06:08:17 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2556
What I liked about Jaylen this year I like even more in the playoffs. First, he adjusted his game. Not as much freewheeling dribbling and TOs came slightly down and assists slightly up in 2.5 fewer minutes per game. He also seemed more engaged on defense - steals also slightly up.  FG% and 3% also up. 

Over the course of the year and in then more so in the playoffs he’s been more of a leader and just more intense.  His on court relationship with JT looks better to me.  Seem to be more passes between them and more engagement.  He’s more vocal and more locked in all around. And more efficient especially over the last couple of games.  He’ll get ripped here as soon as he has a rough outing but I’m a big fan of Jaylen’s and Im enjoy his evolution as a player. I didn’t mention finishing at the rim which used to be much more of an adventure.