Author Topic: Wish Horford was here to see this  (Read 18737 times)

Re: Wish Horford was here to see this
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2019, 05:11:45 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Maybe not on defense, but a healthy Hayward brings much of what Al brought to the table on offense. If he could just remain healthy.

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2019, 06:03:59 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He can see it....right around end of April or beginning of May 2020.

Face to face - in a series.

After this he can watch us on TV..as we progress past PHI and move onto the ECF and beyond without him.

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'll take it one step further.

Screw Al Horford.

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2019, 10:45:30 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
F Horford.  He wanted Philly's money and I hope he likes the taste of it.

Exactly. No hard feelings to Al but he could've been here if he wanted to do. Boston was willing to meet Brooklyn's asking price in a Kyrie sign and trade so we could've kept him, but he didn't want to be here.
From listening him talking it sounded like he already committed to the 76s and didn’t want to go back on his word.... But He might have wanted to stay had he known Kemba is coming and Nets were willing to execute a S&T but time was running out and he had to secure his contract... it was Just timing issue and one too many contingencies during the first day of free agency

But would Danny be willing to pay him his desired salary lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2019, 10:50:35 PM »

Offline DrinkinCelticKool-Aid

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 36
No tears for Horford, he's a Traitor. You don't battle in the trenches with guys then go to the enemy. I liked him when he was here, but he tarnished his image the way he left.

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2019, 11:01:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No tears for Horford, he's a Traitor. You don't battle in the trenches with guys then go to the enemy. I liked him when he was here, but he tarnished his image the way he left.

I'll never fault a player for taking the larger payday.  Ainge has no one but himself to blame for losing Horford.  He should have known better than to think he could keep Al by offering him less, given that's the exact same reason Atlanta lost him to us.

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2019, 01:58:45 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I dont get the Horford hate. He was professional and very good for us when he was here. He said no bad thing about us and wouldve been here if he wasnt already committed to the sixers by the time we had the kemba deal.

Its al's last huge paycheck, and at that time it looks like the celtics were going to lose kyrie with no replacement and add the lure of the sixers its understandable.

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2019, 02:09:16 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I don't hold any ill will to Al and I wish him well but he's no longer a Celtic. Players come and go all the time but the team endures. I'm concerned with the players who are Celtics.  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2019, 06:20:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I miss Kyrie too. He's a jerk, but he's a very good player and someone who I enjoyed watching.

And the truth is, we don't even know if he's really a jerk.

But, at the same time, I think I like Kemba much more. Kyrie is probably a little more talented but Kemba seems so much more personable and seems like a far better teammate.

Kyrie could be amazing but some things I don't miss, is his ego and lack of leadership and drama that goes with a mindset like he possesses.

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2019, 03:32:04 PM »

Offline chiken

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I believe Al left because he lost faith In Brad...  Lost faith in Ainge and in the J's...

There was no way he could have have stayed to "see" this because "This" Wouldnt be with him here.

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2019, 03:40:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I believe Al left because he lost faith In Brad...  Lost faith in Ainge and in the J's...

There was no way he could have have stayed to "see" this because "This" Wouldnt be with him here.
I think there were approximately 109 million other reasons he left which may have made a bigger impact in his decision than any lost faith.

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2019, 04:15:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I do honestly think if Horford knew Walker was here and Hayward would bounce back he would have resigned here, possibly even for a little less money. I have no proof of this, it is just my personal speculation based on a few concepts.

1) Horford is a very cerebral guy and I certainly get the impression that Stevens is more that kind of coach than Brett Brown who seems more of a character development/mentor type of coach.

2) Horford is a very straight shooter and doesn't get involved in any of the off the court marketing stuff (Twitter, instagram, trash talk out of game). I think this is a lot more similar to how they jays operate than Simmons and Embid do who are very into their personal brands. I thought Horford body language during the Embid fight and comments after that fight were very telling.

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I do honestly think if Horford knew Walker was here and Hayward would bounce back he would have resigned here, possibly even for a little less money. I have no proof of this, it is just my personal speculation based on a few concepts.

1) Horford is a very cerebral guy and I certainly get the impression that Stevens is more that kind of coach than Brett Brown who seems more of a character development/mentor type of coach.

2) Horford is a very straight shooter and doesn't get involved in any of the off the court marketing stuff (Twitter, instagram, trash talk out of game). I think this is a lot more similar to how they jays operate than Simmons and Embid do who are very into their personal brands. I thought Horford body language during the Embid fight and comments after that fight were very telling.

Agreed, but also 3) Horford, like all other NBA players and people in general, is gonna go get his money.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2019, 04:50:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Agreed, but also 3) Horford, like all other NBA players and people in general, is gonna go get his money.

Yea I agree. I said a little less money, but perhaps he really would have wanted us to match the exact offer. Don't really have a way of noting that.

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2019, 05:11:35 PM »

Offline Greenblood35

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11
I have no hard feelings towards Al. He should get a round of applause when he plays in Boston. This is likely his last big deal, he knew someone (Philly) was guaranteed to offer it to him and he took it. I don’t blame him to be honest.

That being said Horford in the middle with Kemba/the Jays/Gordo would have been pretty sweet.

I agree on the applause. Would love to see the crowd show him some love/respect for the professionalism and effort he brought to us for 3 years. I really hope the fans on Thursday don't boo him on every possession like they did for Kyrie. For me, they are two totally different players/situations and I can't find fault in what Horford did for us while he was here, nor can I find fault in him maximizing his last big paycheck. Let's kick Philly's behind on Thursday, but let's also represent ourselves well as fans and show Al respect (or at least not any disrespect).