Author Topic: Wish Horford was here to see this  (Read 18750 times)

Re: Wish Horford was here to see this
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »

Offline CaNdyMaN1369

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 151

Why should I care if my thoughts on the matter are a minority opinion?   The opinions of others don't determine my thoughts. I keep my own council on what is enjoyable, good, boring, un-enjoyable, right, wrong, or otherwise.

TP...  KG  :)

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2019, 12:35:50 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
;D
Yeah, I miss Horford, just like I miss Kyrie. I wish they were both still here, but they're gone and I've moved on.

I miss Kyrie too. He's a jerk, but he's a very good player and someone who I enjoyed watching.

And the truth is, we don't even know if he's really a jerk.

But, at the same time, I think I like Kemba much more. Kyrie is probably a little more talented but Kemba seems so much more personable and seems like a far better teammate.

Agree. I always like to say that Kyrie is the better baller but Kemba is the better NBA player. Unlike Irving, Walker is a Skywalker when it comes to leadership and optimism.

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2019, 12:42:23 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Horford would have meshed extremely well with this unselfish team. He made his own choice and nobody forced him to make a quick move from where the Brinks truck was. I don't see Horford sustaining high level play over that long contract and think it will become a bad one in two years barring a title win by Sixers.

Yes, I too miss watching Kyrie’s amazing handle and do wish he would have gelled better with our young budding super stars....An unselfish team with him, Horford, Brown, Tatum, Smart and Hayward would have been title bound but unfortunately it just did not mesh. I do love our current team though and love Kemba now so I have moved on but my brain does still think what if.

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 12:44:36 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Yeah, I miss Horford, just like I miss Kyrie. I wish they were both still here, but they're gone and I've moved on.

Miss Kyrie? Pretty sure you’re in minority on that.

I’m thankful he is gone so we can get back to implementing Brad’s system and see our young guys flourish. My only regret is that we didn’t trade Kyrie before the start of 2018-19 season.

Why should I care if my thoughts on the matter are a minority opinion?   The opinions of others don't determine my thoughts. I keep my own council on what is enjoyable, good, boring, un-enjoyable, right, wrong, or otherwise.

😁TP

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
F Horford.  He wanted Philly's money and I hope he likes the taste of it.

Exactly. No hard feelings to Al but he could've been here if he wanted to do. Boston was willing to meet Brooklyn's asking price in a Kyrie sign and trade so we could've kept him, but he didn't want to be here.
From listening him talking it sounded like he already committed to the 76s and didn’t want to go back on his word.... But He might have wanted to stay had he known Kemba is coming and Nets were willing to execute a S&T but time was running out and he had to secure his contract... it was Just timing issue and one too many contingencies during the first day of free agency

There's a moratorium. And Al broke off talks with the Celtics days before free agency even opened. Again, I'm not going to fault the guy for wanting another pay day but I'm also not going to act like he's a victim of circumstance. He won't ever admit it publicly but I don't think it's a long shot guess that he just thought Philly had a better chance at a title than we do.

Also, the idea that "if he known Kemba was coming he might've wanted to stay" is so lame to me and obviously just lip service for C's fans. Everyone and their mother knew Kemba was coming with all the tampering.

TP - my thoughts exactly. I liked Al, appreciated him signing here, and thought he was a stabilizing presence for the three years he was here, but I am not going to pretend that he wanted to be here when he really didn't. The idea that he didn't want to back out of his commitment to our rivals to return to his current team is pretty lame. All of this stuff happened well before the moratorium so it's not like it would have 'really' been backing out.

I wish him well, but hope that he loses annually to the Cs in the playoffs. He could have chosen to be a part of our future, but he chose our rivals. Now we need to root against him until he moves on to another team or retirement.

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 01:04:27 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Let's not turn this into another Kyrie/what-could-have-been thread. An unselfish team with Kyrie on it never could have been happened.

For Horford, yes he would have fit great on this team. The way the team is playing is the very vision that brought Horford to Boston so it was short sighted of him to leave. On the other hand, the team wouldn't be the same with Horford on it. We're playing fast and aggressive and Horford is slow and methodical. Horford is also on the decline. Best wishes to him and I hope he's happy for us, I'm sure he is.

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
F Horford.  He wanted Philly's money and I hope he likes the taste of it.

Exactly. No hard feelings to Al but he could've been here if he wanted to do. Boston was willing to meet Brooklyn's asking price in a Kyrie sign and trade so we could've kept him, but he didn't want to be here.
From listening him talking it sounded like he already committed to the 76s and didn’t want to go back on his word.... But He might have wanted to stay had he known Kemba is coming and Nets were willing to execute a S&T but time was running out and he had to secure his contract... it was Just timing issue and one too many contingencies during the first day of free agency

There's a moratorium. And Al broke off talks with the Celtics days before free agency even opened. Again, I'm not going to fault the guy for wanting another pay day but I'm also not going to act like he's a victim of circumstance. He won't ever admit it publicly but I don't think it's a long shot guess that he just thought Philly had a better chance at a title than we do.

Also, the idea that "if he known Kemba was coming he might've wanted to stay" is so lame to me and obviously just lip service for C's fans. Everyone and their mother knew Kemba was coming with all the tampering.

TP - my thoughts exactly. I liked Al, appreciated him signing here, and thought he was a stabilizing presence for the three years he was here, but I am not going to pretend that he wanted to be here when he really didn't. The idea that he didn't want to back out of his commitment to our rivals to return to his current team is pretty lame. All of this stuff happened well before the moratorium so it's not like it would have 'really' been backing out.

I wish him well, but hope that he loses annually to the Cs in the playoffs. He could have chosen to be a part of our future, but he chose our rivals. Now we need to root against him until he moves on to another team or retirement.
What do you guys mean lame? The contingency was that nets had to agree on a sign and trade for Irving ... why would they help a division rival ? Who knows what they were asking for
Had Nets done the sign and trade Horford would have stayed on a 3 year deal for similar money ($80-85M total).. call me naive or lame but that is what I want to believe in

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2019, 01:19:54 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Pretty sure if Big Al stays we don't have cap room, thus no Kemba.

Would you rather have Al or Kemba?

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2019, 01:23:34 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
According to this article:

https://nesn.com/2019/10/danny-ainge-addresses-report-of-discussed-three-team-al-horford-trade/

Discussions did happen on all those contingencies but Nets probably wanted a prime draft pick or more and maybe Kyrie didn’t want to do a sign and trade as well...who knows

Note that Danny is quoted saying that things would have made sense financially

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2019, 01:55:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

https://nesn.com/2019/10/danny-ainge-addresses-report-of-discussed-three-team-al-horford-trade/

Discussions did happen on all those contingencies but Nets probably wanted a prime draft pick or more and maybe Kyrie didn’t want to do a sign and trade as well...who knows

This was what I remember seeing regarding a possible Horford s&t:

According to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald, such a trade was discussed, and the Celtics were prepared to meet the Nets' asking price to execute the trade. However, the deal never got to the final stages because of Horford's commitment to the Philadelphia 76ers. He honored his commitment and signed a four-year $97 million contract with Philly on June 30.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-three-way-trade-bring-al-horford-back-boston-was-discussed

It sounds like it was all set except for Horford not backing out of his commitment. It's lame because FA hadn't even truly begun, yet Horford decided he wanted to sign with the Sixers rather than stay with the Kemba-led Cs. Horford really does seem like a stand-up guy and he will certainly get a better reception than Kyrie, but I am not going to pretend that he just was unable to re-sign with us.

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 02:03:16 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell

According to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald, such a trade was discussed, and the Celtics were prepared to meet the Nets' asking price to execute the trade. However, the deal never got to the final stages because of Horford's commitment to the Philadelphia 76ers. He honored his commitment and signed a four-year $97 million contract with Philly on June 30.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/nba-rumors-three-way-trade-bring-al-horford-back-boston-was-discussed

It sounds like it was all set except for Horford not backing out of his commitment. It's lame because FA hadn't even truly begun, yet Horford decided he wanted to sign with the Sixers rather than stay with the Kemba-led Cs. Horford really does seem like a stand-up guy and he will certainly get a better reception than Kyrie, but I am not going to pretend that he just was unable to re-sign with us.
I’m not sure what Is true and what is reported as rumors... water under the bridge lol

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2019, 02:04:30 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Exactly. He could've been here if he wanted to be and it seems like Danny and Co. were willing to make it work. I appreciate what he did while he was here and hold no ill will, but he made his choice and it wasn't the Celtics.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I miss Horford, but honestly at 4/109M I think it was best he left. Remember, we signed Horford at around age 29 to a 4/112M max deal at the time. And now Horford's 33 years old and basically got another "max" deal.

This gets us under the luxury tax (to reset it and not have to worry about the dreaded "repeater tax" anytime soon), and in Ainge's/Wyc's defense, even they couldn't have known this team would be THAT good, to the point where he felt it could be worth paying a luxury tax for the 3rd straight season.

And anyways, as others have mentioned, it did seem the C's were open to bringing him back, but probably something around 4/80M. Not what PHI gave him.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2019, 02:16:29 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I miss Horford, but honestly at 4/109M I think it was best he left. Remember, we signed Horford at around age 29 to a 4/112M max deal at the time. And now Horford's 33 years old and basically got another "max" deal.

This gets us under the luxury tax (to reset it and not have to worry about the dreaded "repeater tax" anytime soon), and in Ainge's/Wyc's defense, even they couldn't have known this team would be THAT good, to the point where he felt it could be worth paying a luxury tax for the 3rd straight season.

And anyways, as others have mentioned, it did seem the C's were open to bringing him back, but probably something around 4/80M. Not what PHI gave him.
I wish the incompetent Atlanta management gave Horford the five year max he was asking for in the summer 2016 and 6 months later traded him to us. He would still be with us on a two year deal  ;D

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I have no hard feelings towards Al. He should get a round of applause when he plays in Boston. This is likely his last big deal, he knew someone (Philly) was guaranteed to offer it to him and he took it. I don’t blame him to be honest.

That being said Horford in the middle with Kemba/the Jays/Gordo would have been pretty sweet.