Author Topic: I hit my roommate's dog, and I feel awful, what should I do?  (Read 6310 times)

Re: I hit my roommate's dog, and I feel awful, what should I do?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 07:23:15 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Dogs are pack animals. When he showed teeth he was challenging your place in the pack (the house). Dogs should always know that they are below ALL humans in the world. They can fight it out all they want to see who the most important dog is, but humans should not be challenged by a dog from a responsible dog owner. While there were lots of options for you to remind him of this reality, your choice was a perfectly reasonable one. It’s not abuse at all. Abuse in my opinion is owning a dog who will bite humans without being absolutely cornered. The reason being is eventually someone will press charges and the animal will be put down.

You’re fine. You should be more upset that the dog bit you. Their owners are not responsible dog owners. We’re lucky they don’t own dangerous dogs. The dog won’t resent you for showing him you’re above him. They actually get somewhat more relaxed knowing it.

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Dogs are pack animals. When he showed teeth he was challenging your place in the pack (the house). Dogs should always know that they are below ALL humans in the world. They can fight it out all they want to see who the most important dog is, but humans should not be challenged by a dog from a responsible dog owner. While there were lots of options for you to remind him of this reality, your choice was a perfectly reasonable one. It’s not abuse at all. Abuse in my opinion is owning a dog who will bite humans without being absolutely cornered. The reason being is eventually someone will press charges and the animal will be put down.

You’re fine. You should be more upset that the dog bit you. Their owners are not responsible dog owners. We’re lucky they don’t own dangerous dogs.
Well said.

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 07:53:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
You’re a good guy for caring.  Good luck.  Sounds like a dog psychiatrist might be a good investment by the owners

What is a dog psychiatrist?

While Cesar Milan is well known for his 'Dog Whisperer,' TV show, he's more in line of what they call dog psychiatrists, or 'Animal Behaviorist.'

They figure out the root of the problem behind issues/fears, and fix them with positive reinforcements/treats/tricks.

You may both benefit from laying the poor thing down and asking him about his puppyhood, ya slap-happy savages. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 10:19:51 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
You feel guilty because you know you did a cowardly thing. Please learn from it and do better to control your emotions in the future.

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 10:33:27 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You didn't really do anything wrong, per se, so there's really nothing to feel guilty about. There are more effective means to get your point across to this dog, however, as has been mentioned by others.

The bottom line is, dogs cannot be allowed to bite humans, period. When a dog does, punishment is in order, otherwise they ain't going to learn their boundaries.

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 10:41:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You feel guilty because you know you did a cowardly thing. Please learn from it and do better to control your emotions in the future.

I find it curious that your response to someone who made themselves vulnerable by sharing a personal story, was to act like a jerk.

Hopefully you'll be treated a bit better if you ever decide to put yourself out there as the OP did.

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2018, 02:33:02 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Prob shoulda been smacked sooner, dog sounded annoying and doesn’t sound as much anymore.

I saw my dad hit my dog once and he turned out to be a really bad dog, always wondered if that contributed to his issues as he got older.

I think he was trying to be alpha with you and you changed that.

It’s not animal abuse, I wouldn’t sweat it.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 02:39:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I find it curious that your response to someone who made themselves vulnerable by sharing a personal story, was to act like a jerk.

Hopefully you'll be treated a bit better if you ever decide to put yourself out there as the OP did.
The dude pretty routinely trolls, so I can’t say I’m too shocked
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 06:51:33 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I don’t think you did anything wrong. Based on what you said, you were in the wild dealing with an animal who became aggressive and threatening. You acted in self defense. Nothing to worry about
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 07:26:54 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
The owner is the problem, not you.

Tell your roommate to start watching the "Dog Whisperer." Cesar Milan has great insights into leadership and the pack mentality. After watching that show my skills with dogs improved immeasurably. Heck, even my cats follow my commands with minimal fuss. Once they realize you are engaged and are in control, they happily fall in line.

Also tell him he needs to start walking the dog. Walking IMO is by far the best training technique. When done properly it teaches the dog to follow its owner's lead - this mentality leads to huge benefits. It also allows the dog to blow off steam and it creates more frequent social situations for the animal.

Walking is inherently social - and dogs love the outdoors. Dogs inevitably learn to love walking, and by extension they get more comfortable being around others.

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
This thread reminds me of that Will Ferrell skit.

https://youtu.be/MI6Jmgb04lU
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 07:11:11 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Well I thought this thread was going to be about you running over a dog with your car, so this is much better.

I don't think hitting a dog is an unreasonable reaction to being bitten. Your reaction sounds fine to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 08:25:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If a dog bares its teeth and lashes out when you aren't being threatening, it's generally asserting higher status than you. The acting out by destroying and stealing your things is right in line with that too.

Clearing up the pecking order is a pretty rational response in that situation. The #1 "right thing" to do would be to physically pin it until it submits but unless you know what you're doing it might've gotten you a couple more times in the process so a good swat across the chops isn't a bad alternative.

You should never hurt a dog maliciously or sadistically or just anytime it isn't doing what you want, but it doesn't seem like you did any of those, and feeling bad about it is a pretty natural response for someone who isn't that kind of malicious person. And sounds like the dog got the message. Chalk it up as a necessary evil and watch the dog's signals more carefully in the future, as it'll hopefully be watching yours.

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I have a hundred pound Rottie who is absolutely terrified by the threat of being flicked in the nose. It’s pretty funny.  No actual contact necessary when she is getting too big for her britches. 
Yup

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 09:14:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
opps wrong thread