Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 394041 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #645 on: November 13, 2019, 03:41:35 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Yeah I mean Bron made Mo Williams an All Star.

LeBron James could probably make ME an All-Star, too - but that doesn't mean I'm going to make game winning clutch shots in the Finals.

Let's get real here - the All-Star game - along with the Dunk Contest, the celebrity game and all the other trimmings - is just entertainment. When you get to the Finals and hit game winning shots - that's another.

Not everyone can do that but Kyrie has demonstrated this time and time again - in BOS, too (See his game-winning shot against none other than Jimmy Butler last Christmas Day).

Neither World B, Pistol-Pete Gilbert nor Stephon has this trait.

The revisionist history on here is amazing.
I'm not familiar with World B Free and I think Pistol Pete and Marbury are some of the worst big name guards out there, but Agent Zero not having the clutch gene (I don't buy the concept itself, but I'll play along)? You might have called yourself out with the revisionist history accusation lol, Agent Zero hit a bunch of game winners, he just didn't have an ATG in LeBron James carrying him to multiple finals appearances.

I called Gilbert "Pistol Pete" due to his silly gun incident.

And yes - Gilbert DID in fact hit some game winners, as Pho Sita alluded to. But none of them were as big as Kyrie's.

That's no fault of Arenas though. He never played in the Finals and never had a teammate that could help him get there like Lebron can.

Kyrie face planted as a leader of an an exceptionally talented Celtics roster, and his Nets thus far look like they will struggle to make the playoffs in the East.

Exceptionally talented?

You mean the Jayson Tatum from last year that was trying to mimic Kobe? And you mean the Gordon Hayward that was horribly erratic and not quite himself?

« Reply #646 on: November 13, 2019, 03:46:10 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I am confident World B Free would've won a Championship if he had of had LeBron James as a teammate.

LeBron carried those Cavs teams. Witness how they fell apart whenever he missed a game or went to sit on the bench for a few minutes. They went from title contender to fringe playoff team (and that is being kind).

World B Free would've been awesome with his shot-making ability next to a player like LeBron James.

But I don't remember World B having the handles OR the ability to get to the rim like Kyrie does.

Pure shooter? Yes. Handles and getting to the basket? No.

Clutch Gene? Don't think so. Don't remember World B hitting game winner shots in the Finals...don't see him having the same impact as Kyrie.

Handles are nice but I think they're overrated.  It's similar to how no matter how good Kobe actually was, many fans thought he was even better because of his penchant for hitting tough shots.  The flash factor doesn't actually make the buckets worth more.

As for clutch, Kyrie was sure clutch in the 2016 Finals.

Where was the clutch gene when he was playing for the Celtics in the playoffs?

"Clutch" is context specific and can fade fast.

So the ability to get to the basket via dribbling...ability to get through traffic via dribbling...is overrated?

Aren't many of us on here berating Jayson Tatum because of his lack of handles?

And as for Kyrie's lack of clutch in the playoffs last year - well ask Gordon Hayward and the whole team - GH because he simply was not himself yet. Ask the entire team because, well - Marcus Smart himself said the entire TEAM did not mesh.
For someone with such good ability to get to the basket, he sure takes a lot of early-in-the-shot-clock stepback threes and tough midrange ISO shots

« Reply #647 on: November 13, 2019, 03:47:25 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

LeBron James could probably make ME an All-Star, too - but that doesn't mean I'm going to make game winning clutch shots in the Finals.

Let's get real here - the All-Star game - along with the Dunk Contest, the celebrity game and all the other trimmings - is just entertainment. When you get to the Finals and hit game winning shots - that's another.

Not everyone can do that but Kyrie has demonstrated this time and time again - in BOS, too (See his game-winning shot against none other than Jimmy Butler last Christmas Day).

I'm not familiar with World B Free and I think Pistol Pete and Marbury are some of the worst big name guards out there, but Agent Zero not having the clutch gene (I don't buy the concept itself, but I'll play along)? You might have called yourself out with the revisionist history accusation lol, Agent Zero hit a bunch of game winners, he just didn't have an ATG in LeBron James carrying him to multiple finals appearances.

And yes - Gilbert DID in fact hit some game winners, as Pho Sita alluded to. But none of them were as big as Kyrie's.

That's no fault of Arenas though. He never played in the Finals and never had a teammate that could help him get there like Lebron can.

Kyrie face planted as a leader of an an exceptionally talented Celtics roster, and his Nets thus far look like they will struggle to make the playoffs in the East.

Exceptionally talented?

You mean the Jayson Tatum from last year that was trying to mimic Kobe? And you mean the Gordon Hayward that was horribly erratic and not quite himself?
Come on, the pieces were quite good, Horford and Baynes in the front with JayJays on the wings plus Smart and Morris on the bench

« Reply #648 on: November 13, 2019, 03:56:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I am confident World B Free would've won a Championship if he had of had LeBron James as a teammate.

LeBron carried those Cavs teams. Witness how they fell apart whenever he missed a game or went to sit on the bench for a few minutes. They went from title contender to fringe playoff team (and that is being kind).

World B Free would've been awesome with his shot-making ability next to a player like LeBron James.

But I don't remember World B having the handles OR the ability to get to the rim like Kyrie does.

Pure shooter? Yes. Handles and getting to the basket? No.

Clutch Gene? Don't think so. Don't remember World B hitting game winner shots in the Finals...don't see him having the same impact as Kyrie.

Handles are nice but I think they're overrated.  It's similar to how no matter how good Kobe actually was, many fans thought he was even better because of his penchant for hitting tough shots.  The flash factor doesn't actually make the buckets worth more.

As for clutch, Kyrie was sure clutch in the 2016 Finals.

Where was the clutch gene when he was playing for the Celtics in the playoffs?

"Clutch" is context specific and can fade fast.

So the ability to get to the basket via dribbling...ability to get through traffic via dribbling...is overrated?

Aren't many of us on here berating Jayson Tatum because of his lack of handles?

And as for Kyrie's lack of clutch in the playoffs last year - well ask Gordon Hayward and the whole team - GH because he simply was not himself yet. Ask the entire team because, well - Marcus Smart himself said the entire TEAM did not mesh.
For someone with such good ability to get to the basket, he sure takes a lot of early-in-the-shot-clock stepback threes and tough midrange ISO shots

No doubt.

A good number of them went in, though.

LOOK - I'm seeing (like I think many of us here are) that Kyrie Irving needs a definitive "ALPHA" with him to be successful. In his CLE years this was of course LeBron.

Last year it was SUPPOSED to be Gordon Hayward. Kyrie Irving has even REPORTEDLY been on record as saying that he wanted to play with GH.

It is a horrible reality that Kyrie is not getting THIS YEAR'S GH...and no - Big Al - while a fine complimentary piece - is NOT an Alpha. It is not in him and that's fine.

Gordon Hayward - THIS GH - is a bonafide Alpha..proven to carry a team...take pressure OFF of a team. Kyrie did not get this.

Kyrie WILL, however - get his Alpha in Durant, soon.

« Reply #649 on: November 13, 2019, 05:44:51 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Exceptionally talented?

Come on, the pieces were quite good, Horford and Baynes in the front with JayJays on the wings plus Smart and Morris on the bench

Yeah, it's well accepted that the problem with the Celtics last season was too much talent and only one ball and limited minutes to share.

« Reply #650 on: November 13, 2019, 06:11:49 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Exceptionally talented?

Yeah, it's well accepted that the problem with the Celtics last season was too much talent and only one ball and limited minutes to share.

Smart didn't say that.

Marcus said something totally different from what you stated.

Smart summed up to ME what the issue was last year, and he was rather blunt about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukTm-OlAFmA

One more thing - even with all of our "dysfunction" last year - Kyrie Irving DID seemingly get better defensively...gave effort on that end.

ALSO - our own Marcus Smart got 1st team defensive honors and improved in other areas of his game as well.

Sounds like - from that youtube video - that our Coach shares some of the blame, too - which Coach Stevens has ALREADY admitted to.

Love how Celticsstrong still wants to play pin the tail on the Kyrie......not YOU, Hpantazo, but some here in general.

« Reply #651 on: November 13, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Exceptionally talented?

Smart didn't say that.

Smart summed up to ME what the issue was last year, and he was rather blunt about it.

One more thing - even with all of our "dysfunction" last year - Kyrie Irving DID seemingly get better defensively...gave effort on that end.

ALSO - our own Marcus Smart got 1st team defensive honors and improved in other areas of his game as well.

Sounds like - from that youtube video - that our Coach shares some of the blame, too - which Coach Stevens has ALREADY admitted to.

Love how Celticsstrong still wants to play pin the tail on the Kyrie......not YOU, Hpantazo, but some here in general.
For one who claims to not care you’re going to great lengths to defend Kyrie
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #652 on: November 13, 2019, 06:49:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

Exceptionally talented?

Smart didn't say that.

When did I say that?

I've defended just about ALL former Celtics - from 'Toine to Rondo to IT4 to Perk, etc, etc, etc....

Kyrie is my current project.

Look - I'm as happy as the next guy / gal for our CURRENT success but it's just funny to ME how one guy is seemingly taking much of the blame when he clearly doesn't deserve it.

« Reply #653 on: November 13, 2019, 07:16:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Anyone else enjoying the guilty pleasure of Fultz matched up against the 76ers. Might have to roll over to Liberty Ballers.

« Reply #654 on: November 13, 2019, 07:23:38 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Exceptionally talented?

Smart didn't say that.

Yeah, I'm not putting the blame all on Kyrie. In the NBA its very, very tough to win when you have too many young guys who are looking to establish themselves so that they can get their first big payday. I don't blame any of them, it just is what it is.

Tatum, Jaylen, Rozier, and even Morris who was on a contract year all were looking for individual stats so that they can maximize their next deal. Then you had guys who were proven all-stars that were getting paid as such in Horford, Kyrie and Hayward, so there was not enough minutes and shots to please everyone.

It helps a huge amount imo that Jaylen got his extension this season. Tatum I think is still a bit off on his play because he's thinking about that.

« Reply #655 on: November 13, 2019, 07:28:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Exceptionally talented?

Smart didn't say that.

When did I say that?

I've defended just about ALL former Celtics - from 'Toine to Rondo to IT4 to Perk, etc, etc, etc....

Look - I'm as happy as the next guy / gal for our CURRENT success but it's just funny to ME how one guy is seemingly taking much of the blame when he clearly doesn't deserve it.
I don't know that it's clear at all. I definitely think guys like Rozier and Morris deserve some of the blame. As do Stevens and Horford, as their quiet leadership style probably didn't help the team.

But Kyrie deserves a lot of it.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #656 on: November 13, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

Exceptionally talented?

Smart didn't say that.

When did I say that?

I don't know that it's clear at all. I definitely think guys like Rozier and Morris deserve some of the blame. As do Stevens and Horford, as their quiet leadership style probably didn't help the team.

Marcus has consistently defended Kyrie and stated that he was not to blame for last year's problems. I think that Marcus is either wrong about that or is trying to take the high road, to me it is clear that Kyrie deserves a large amount of the blame. Not all, to be sure. I think many guys reacted poorly to Kyrie's presence, and that poor reaction is on them, but I do think Kyrie was a major problem and his departure is a big part of why the Celtics are better this year so far.

« Reply #657 on: November 13, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Exceptionally talented?

Smart didn't say that.

When did I say that?

Marcus has consistently defended Kyrie and stated that he was not to blame for last year's problems. I think that Marcus is either wrong about that or is trying to take the high road, to me it is clear that Kyrie deserves a large amount of the blame. Not all, to be sure. I think many guys reacted poorly to Kyrie's presence, and that poor reaction is on them, but I do think Kyrie was a major problem and his departure is a big part of why the Celtics are better this year so far.

I think Kyrie has a major stake in the problem, but so did Rozier, and to an extent, Brad and Al. That is the locker part though. Game-wise its a lot more. We have Tatum taking bad shots, Brown's horrific start of the season, Morris taking more shots, Rozier's everything, Hayward not 100% well, Kyrie's Bucks series quitting and Baynes being injured most of the year.

« Reply #658 on: November 13, 2019, 11:01:13 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Dwight Howard looking good out there again tonight. He's been a big part of the Lakers early season success.

« Reply #659 on: November 13, 2019, 11:03:37 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I didn't noticed that Rozier dropped 33 tonight.