Author Topic: NBA 2019-2020 season thread  (Read 398965 times)

Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #675 on: November 14, 2019, 11:31:07 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
The Sixers just lost and I can't believe we are talking about Kyrie Irving instead of rejoicing over this fact.

Good! The Sixers are a far bigger threat to us than Kyrie.

Lot less chirping in this thread as the 76ers have lost 4 of 5. We have opened up a 3 game lead on the amongst their struggles which very well could be difference in homecourt if we play then in playoffs

Ya I'm not really ready to gloat yet on the 76ers. They've lost by like a combined ten points to Utah, Den, Pho on the road and were missing one of Embiid and Simmons for 2 of those games. I gotta see how the Celtics respond to a tough West Coast road trip before I know what to make of the 76ers.

« Reply #676 on: November 14, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The Sixers just lost and I can't believe we are talking about Kyrie Irving instead of rejoicing over this fact.

Lot less chirping in this thread as the 76ers have lost 4 of 5. We have opened up a 3 game lead on the amongst their struggles which very well could be difference in homecourt if we play then in playoffs

Ya I'm not really ready to gloat yet on the 76ers. They've lost by like a combined ten points to Utah, Den, Pho on the road and were missing one of Embiid and Simmons for 2 of those games. I gotta see how the Celtics respond to a tough West Coast road trip before I know what to make of the 76ers.
I don't know if it is really gloating to point out we have a three game lead, that is a fact. While you can point out that their losses were close, you also have to point out that they have had a lot of fortunate wins also. They beat Cleveland by 1 at home after trailing the whole 4th quarter (Embid and Simmons played), they beat the Blazers by 1 (again after trailing the entire game) and beat Atlanta by 2 after being down 8 with 5 minutes left. They haven't exactly been unlucky and definitely stole the Portland and Cleveland game (Denver definitely stole the game against them). The biggest takeaway you can throw out in the early going is that they severely lack shooting and Simmons hasn't improved at all. It also looks like Embid is still struggling with conditioning a lot. 

« Reply #677 on: November 14, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't know if it is really gloating to point out we have a three game lead, that is a fact. While you can point out that their losses were close, you also have to point out that they have had a lot of fortunate wins also. They beat Cleveland by 1 at home after trailing the whole 4th quarter (Embid and Simmons played), they beat the Blazers by 1 (again after trailing the entire game) and beat Atlanta by 2 after being down 8 with 5 minutes left. They haven't exactly been unlucky and definitely stole the Portland and Cleveland game (Denver definitely stole the game against them). The biggest takeaway you can throw out in the early going is that they severely lack shooting and Simmons hasn't improved at all. It also looks like Embid is still struggling with conditioning a lot.

The Sixers have arguably had a tougher schedule than most teams (7 road games vs. 4 home games, one Western conf. trip that logged a lot of miles — Portland, Phoenix, Utah, Denver — and 5 games against the West total), but their overall record and point differential/net rating doesn’t look like that of a top 5 team even accounting for a bit tougher of a schedule.

Coming into the year I thought that their lack of depth would be trouble, and given that their starters have a +15.1 net rating when playing together, it does seem like their bench is causing them problems.  But some of that may be correctable at the buyout deadline if the Sixers starters have enough rep to attract a couple free agents.

« Reply #678 on: November 14, 2019, 12:07:11 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Why does the laker game recap say they improved to an NBA best 9-2?

I know this doesn't matter but it caught my eye.

https://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401160801

« Reply #679 on: November 14, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Because the headline writer is an idiot.  I'm not sure if that person is ESPN or AP but the article is AP sourced.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #680 on: November 14, 2019, 12:28:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Philly has had some problems.

- Embiid has missed 4 of 11 games, a rate that if it holds has him playing just 53 games

- The 4 starters besides Embiid can't hit three pointers to save their lives. Horford 32%. Richardson 28%. Harris 20%. Simmons 0.00%(no 3PTAs).

- No growth from Simmons, if anything, he has regressed. Teams are just going to pack the paint if no one can hit 3s and the main ballhandler can't hit a shot outside 12 feet.

- Even their free throws are suffering. They are bottom 10 in both FTM and FT%.

- Harris has been awful. Not much else to say there.

-Bench isn't really helping at all

But, they play great defense, which is why they are 7-4 and not 4-7 and I could see the team getting even better defensively as the year continues. If they can figure out their three point shooting woes, through improvement, trade or Simmons actually trying to take a three pointer, they will most likely be a top 2 Eastern team.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 12:43:36 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #681 on: November 14, 2019, 12:32:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Because the headline writer is an idiot.  I'm not sure if that person is ESPN or AP but the article is AP sourced.

What are you all talking about, they're the best 2 loss team in the league!

Here's my guess on the error.  After the Lakers game (or during, as most of the article may have already been written by that point, just need to fill in the final score and stats and add in some generic quotes), the writer looked at the standings (which hadn't updated to include the games played that day), manually added a win to the Lakers, and saw no other team had 9 wins, so called it an NBA best (even though not best by winning %).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #682 on: November 14, 2019, 12:46:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

What are you all talking about, they're the best 2 loss team in the league!

Here's my guess on the error.  After the Lakers game (or during, as most of the article may have already been written by that point, just need to fill in the final score and stats and add in some generic quotes), the writer looked at the standings (which hadn't updated to include the games played that day), manually added a win to the Lakers, and saw no other team had 9 wins, so called it an NBA best (even though not best by winning %).
imagine being so bad at your job that you don't check updated standings after the last game of the night

« Reply #683 on: November 14, 2019, 01:10:36 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

- Embiid has missed 4 of 11 games, a rate that if it holds has him playing just 53 games

- The 4 starters besides Embiid can't hit three pointers to save their lives. Horford 32%. Richardson 28%. Harris 20%. Simmons 0.00%(no 3PTAs).

- No growth from Simmons, if anything, he has regressed. Teams are just going to pack the paint if no one can hit 3s and the main ballhandler can't hit a shot outside 12 feet.

But, they play great defense, which is why they are 7-4 and not 4-7 and I could see the team getting even better defensively as the year continues. If they can figure out their three point shooting woes, through improvement, trade or Simmons actually trying to take a three pointer, they will most likely be a top 2 Eastern team.

I’m being reactionary, as Philly has a bunch of games with either Embiid or Horford out, but if I were Philly I’d trade Simmons for two or 3 good players.  For example, maybe SGA, Gallinari, Diallo and 2 of the 1,000 Thunder picks. 

« Reply #684 on: November 14, 2019, 01:16:31 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Philly has the profile of a 4 seed so far instead of a top 2 seed.

They need to figure out a way to unlock Harris.

« Reply #685 on: November 14, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

The Sixers have arguably had a tougher schedule than most teams (7 road games vs. 4 home games, one Western conf. trip that logged a lot of miles — Portland, Phoenix, Utah, Denver — and 5 games against the West total), but their overall record and point differential/net rating doesn’t look like that of a top 5 team even accounting for a bit tougher of a schedule.

Coming into the year I thought that their lack of depth would be trouble, and given that their starters have a +15.1 net rating when playing together, it does seem like their bench is causing them problems.  But some of that may be correctable at the buyout deadline if the Sixers starters have enough rep to attract a couple free agents.

I'm not sure they are a top team either, its just a little dangerous to be putting tooo much stock into a 3 game lead when the team you are comparing the C's too had most of their losses on a difficult west coast trip which the C's have not had yet. If the C's make it through their road trip and beat 2 out of 3 oof Den, LAC, Pho then sure.

But to your point they have structural problems. Like who would have thought a team that plays a SG, two PF's and 2 Centers would have a problem scoring in the half court! Shocking.

« Reply #686 on: November 14, 2019, 02:02:06 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I imagine the 3 point shooting for Horford, Harris, and Richardson will improve as they are all around 36% for their career, and between the 3 of them they take about 15 threes a game.  If they are all healthy and shooting at their normal clip I’d still be worried about them in a playoff series.

« Reply #687 on: November 14, 2019, 02:05:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I imagine the 3 point shooting for Horford, Harris, and Richardson will improve as they are all around 36% for their career, and between the 3 of them they take about 15 threes a game.  If they are all healthy and shooting at their normal clip I’d still be worried about them in a playoff series.
Yeah, I agree. Maybe you missed my last sentence.

If they can figure out their three point shooting woes, through improvement, trade or Simmons actually trying to take a three pointer, they will most likely be a top 2 Eastern team.

Improvement was the first thing I said.

« Reply #688 on: November 14, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Has Ben Simmons improved at all since entering the league?

His stats are remarkably similar over the course of his career so far.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #689 on: November 14, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Has Ben Simmons improved at all since entering the league?

His stats are remarkably similar over the course of his career so far.
I think he recognizes defenses and coverages a bit better.

But I don't think he's really added much to his game. Still primarily a transition player. It is shocking how steady his stats are.