Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366789 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1515 on: December 10, 2018, 08:40:39 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am glad so many Philly fans are happy that The Process worked and Philly got their 50+ wins in a season. Hell I hope they enjoy about 10 more like that: 50+ wins, lose in ridiculously bad manner to Celtics in playoffs, maybe the series ending 4-0 or 4-1 every year to the Celtics with the Cs going onto the ECFs, the Finals and Titles. Sounds like a great process to me. Philly fans, have all your 50+ win seasons that you got because you were an NBA embarrassment for 4 years. Rejoice! Be happy!

Me? I will be happy knowing I am a fan of the Celtics, a team that didn't purposely embarrass themselves for four consecutive years to get a title ten years ago and now a team that is better than that Process Sixer squad. Frankly, if I was a Philly fan I would hide my head in the sand in shame because my team made a mockery of the great game of basketball simply because they wanted a 50 win season. Have that team Philly fans. I will take the Celtics and the drive to win championships, you have your "successful 50 win" seasons.

Good grief
3 consecutive years, not 4.  And let's not get ahead of ourselves on Boston is better.  Sure we all hope Boston is, but that is far from given.
I just don't see the way they beat us if we aren't ruined by injuries at the moment.

They have a very shallow roster and they have critical weaknesses all over the place:
- 5th man (Chandler is questionable, both injury and skills)
- 6th man - who?
- 7th man - -ll-
- Reddick getting posted up by guys a head taller then he is, we saw that last year and they suffered. We can imagine Chamot being Belinelli
- Spacing issues (Simmons we know how that goes, Embiid is career 31%, also Butler is no knockdown shooter)
- Coach Brown hasn't exactly proven himself last year, the jury is still out. He had brain farts.
- Leadership and ego issues (Embiid already stating he doesn't like to roam on the 3pt line, Butler has his history, Simmons doesn't see himself as a 3rd wheel longterm)
- Oh yeah, I almost forgot - the confetti karma police will come asking for them too.

I like Philly, they are a fun team to follow (good and the bad), but in a reversed question exercise;
On what base could they think that they can beat us in 7 games?
They will have the 2 best players in the series.  Talent often wins out, especially in the playoffs when the rotations shrink and everyone plays more.
Talent wins, but IMO critical weaknesses lose more often.
We have a lot of talent, but no personnel weaknesses.

2 best players in the series is their hope.
Their weak supporting cast is the fact.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1516 on: December 10, 2018, 09:12:55 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I am glad so many Philly fans are happy that The Process worked and Philly got their 50+ wins in a season. Hell I hope they enjoy about 10 more like that: 50+ wins, lose in ridiculously bad manner to Celtics in playoffs, maybe the series ending 4-0 or 4-1 every year to the Celtics with the Cs going onto the ECFs, the Finals and Titles. Sounds like a great process to me. Philly fans, have all your 50+ win seasons that you got because you were an NBA embarrassment for 4 years. Rejoice! Be happy!

Me? I will be happy knowing I am a fan of the Celtics, a team that didn't purposely embarrass themselves for four consecutive years to get a title ten years ago and now a team that is better than that Process Sixer squad. Frankly, if I was a Philly fan I would hide my head in the sand in shame because my team made a mockery of the great game of basketball simply because they wanted a 50 win season. Have that team Philly fans. I will take the Celtics and the drive to win championships, you have your "successful 50 win" seasons.

Good grief
3 consecutive years, not 4.  And let's not get ahead of ourselves on Boston is better.  Sure we all hope Boston is, but that is far from given.
I just don't see the way they beat us if we aren't ruined by injuries at the moment.

They have a very shallow roster and they have critical weaknesses all over the place:
- 6th man - who?
- 7th man - -ll-
- Reddick getting posted up by guys a head taller then he is, we saw that last year and they suffered. We can imagine Chamot being Belinelli
- Spacing issues (Simmons we know how that goes, Embiid is career 31%, also Butler is no knockdown shooter)
- Coach Brown hasn't exactly proven himself last year, the jury is still out. He had brain farts.
- Leadership and ego issues (Embiid already stating he doesn't like to roam on the 3pt line, Butler has his history, Simmons doesn't see himself as a 3rd wheel longterm)
- Oh yeah, I almost forgot - the confetti karma police will come asking for them too.

I like Philly, they are a fun team to follow (good and the bad), but in a reversed question exercise;
They will have the 2 best players in the series.  Talent often wins out, especially in the playoffs when the rotations shrink and everyone plays more.

I'm not sure that the best players argument works in this scenario.  The Celtics have more than enough talent to argue that their two best players on any given night can offset the impact of Butler and Embiid.  The talent argument carries more weight when we are talking about true Tier 1 superstars.

I'm also very skeptical about Embiid's ability to dominate a 7 game series against the Celtics.  Horford been nothing short of spectacular against him in crunch time.  I also believe that the current style of play minimizes the potential impact of big men. 

« Reply #1517 on: December 10, 2018, 09:29:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Good grief

- 6th man - who?
- 7th man - -ll-

I'm not sure that the best players argument works in this scenario.  The Celtics have more than enough talent to argue that their two best players on any given night can offset the impact of Butler and Embiid.  The talent argument carries more weight when we are talking about true Tier 1 superstars.

I'm also very skeptical about Embiid's ability to dominate a 7 game series against the Celtics.  Horford been nothing short of spectacular against him in crunch time.  I also believe that the current style of play minimizes the potential impact of big men.
I would think Boston would win the series this year, but this is no where near the same Sixers team as last year (I get Boston isn't either, but that also yields that last year means very little).  I also expect the Sixers to make some minor moves, much like last year, that address some of their shooting issues.  There are always veteran shooters available at or after the trade deadline that can be had for very little.  And I've been saying for awhile that Horford is very effective against Embiid, but I do worry about Horford's age and mileage.  He is showing signs of wearing down, and once Horford deteriorates, Boston's only shot at containing Embiid disappears, especially as Embiid keeps getting better, more polished, and better conditioned. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1518 on: December 10, 2018, 12:05:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Good grief
You can count a 28 win season where they finished with the 4th worst record in the league while having 21 different guys on their roster and lost 9 of their final 10 games and 17 of their final 23 games, with a bunch of those losses coming against awful teams as not tanking, but I don't. 4 consecutive years.

« Reply #1519 on: December 10, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Good grief
You can count a 28 win season where they finished with the 4th worst record in the league while having 21 different guys on their roster and lost 9 of their final 10 games and 17 of their final 23 games, with a bunch of those losses coming against awful teams as not tanking, but I don't. 4 consecutive years.
They had 23 guys on their roster last year so I'm not sure the number of roster players has much to do with anything (Boston had 20 guys play last year as well).  Once Embiid got hurt, they went from bad to awful, but Embiid getting hurt isn't straight up tanking either as he was legitimately injured (they were 13-18 with him and 15-36 without him).

« Reply #1520 on: December 10, 2018, 12:14:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Good grief

- 6th man - who?
- 7th man - -ll-

I would think Boston would win the series this year, but this is no where near the same Sixers team as last year (I get Boston isn't either, but that also yields that last year means very little).  I also expect the Sixers to make some minor moves, much like last year, that address some of their shooting issues.  There are always veteran shooters available at or after the trade deadline that can be had for very little.  And I've been saying for awhile that Horford is very effective against Embiid, but I do worry about Horford's age and mileage.  He is showing signs of wearing down, and once Horford deteriorates, Boston's only shot at containing Embiid disappears, especially as Embiid keeps getting better, more polished, and better conditioned.

Baynes, Theis, and in a year or two RWIII can all contain Embiid. Embiid’s going to remain what he is unless his maturity and basketball IQ improve. That’s what’s holding him back more than anything. The Sixers need to re-sign Butler and trade Simmons for a star who can shoot well enough to spread the floor for Embiid and Butler , and they need a solid starting point guard

« Reply #1521 on: December 10, 2018, 01:23:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The Sixers do not concern me. Embiid is too immature and Simmons is too easy to game plan against. Butler is probably their best player right now, but Embiid clearly resents that Butler came in and almost immediately took over the lead dog role. This doesn't appear that it's going to work out as well as they had hoped, and I wouldn't be surprised if Butler leaves this summer.

Philly will keep on beating the teams they should, but will also continue to struggle against elite competition. I'd imagine the Celtics would dispatch of them every bit as quickly as they did last season, were they to meet in the playoffs again this season.

« Reply #1522 on: December 10, 2018, 01:48:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

« Reply #1524 on: December 14, 2018, 08:49:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Wow, Embiid with 28 and 14...at the half

« Reply #1525 on: December 14, 2018, 10:14:40 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Hoowee, Mr Poopy butthole thinks that Philly bench is putrid.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #1526 on: December 14, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
wow. indiana just buried the sixers in the second half of their game, outscoring them 64 to 42.  :o

philly has 11 losses now, one more than our beloved celtics. ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1527 on: December 14, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
wow. indiana just buried the sixers in the second half of their game, outscoring them 64 to 42.  :o

without Butler and even Fultz they are very thin on depth

« Reply #1528 on: December 15, 2018, 12:36:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Ummmm....even with Butler and Fultz they are very thin on depth.

« Reply #1529 on: December 15, 2018, 04:36:32 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

So terrible